Fibreglass riffle tray

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the trouble and expense of making things i would prefer to buy what is commercially available and spend my time prospecting.
It can be difficult, time consuming and expensive to attempt to re-invent the wheel.

Each to their own i guess. :)

Swinging & digging said:
For the trouble and expense of making things i would prefer to buy what is commercially available and spend my time prospecting.
It can be difficult, time consuming and expensive to attempt to re-invent the wheel.

Each to their own i guess. :)

I couldn't agree more, that's why I gave up on the idea.
That vortex sluice looks great though. I think the only way to replicate with fibreglass that would be vacuum bagging, and that's just getting a bit too far out of my experience level. I might look into it again though when enough free time permits.

DrDuck said:
As I understand it, fiberglass has been used to make sluices and pans in the past (ie the Martin Marks versions). Apart from the surprisingly high prices Martin used to charge, one of the issues is that fiberglass is more brittle than modern plastics and tends to break. Fiberglass is also heavy compared with plastic. I will rustle up some sources later, but at the moment I am enjoying a Boxing Day Martini and snack!
Fibreglass resin is better too now days. It's pretty strong stuff, if done correctly, and you can reinforce it with carbon strips these days too. So it certainly is an option. I might leave it for a winter project.

AtomRat said:
Have you though about HDPE vacuum forming?

I was going to say the same thing.

Vacuum forming Plastics can take a few minutes per item if not less , compare that to the labour , costs and chemical exposures with resin composites and vac form is a standout.

It seems to be working for McKirk .

Heres a couple of the sample bits a managed to make in the oven at home from recycled bottles. The white milk cartons, multi colored - mixed lids, yellow-milk bottle lids. The pellets were extruded at home as well by heating a giant 'garlic crusher' used for pottery and forcing through the plastic. Using standard perf board, a baking tray and a vacuum, I was able to vacuum form some items very quickly. This was all just messing about and an experiment I did for 2 weeks, but hdpe is a wonderful material to work with

1482813089_14828129535720.jpg

AtomRat said:
Heres a couple of the sample bits a managed to make in the oven at home from recycled bottles. The white milk cartons, multi colored - mixed lids, yellow-milk bottle lids. The pellets were extruded at home as well by heating a giant 'garlic crusher' used for pottery and forcing through the plastic. Using standard perf board, a baking tray and a vacuum, I was able to vacuum form some items very quickly. This was all just messing about and an experiment I did for 2 weeks, but hdpe is a wonderful material to work with

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3111/1482813089_14828129535720.jpg

Lol . I didn't think of recycling but why not ?

What temps work best with the milk bottles ?

Did you use a pot or pan for the crucible , melt them straight onto a mould form or just produce flat sheet by screeding it out flat ?

Good on ya :)

Its only a low 180C temperature to fuse the plastic. I shred the bottles and pile it up on a tray in the oven with a big casserole pot full of water on top to add weight. Usually you have to fold and roll the plastic 3 times to get a nice even weld and the pot of water helps prevent bubbles as well. Heating hdpe up to 180 and squeezing it through a tube into a mold would work like injection molding but using an old jack or motor would be better

AtomRat said:
1cm of HDPE will last a very, very long time with the wear, its why they use them for gutter drains nowdays and all sorts of equipment
Am yet to attempt fibreglass myself
Thanks, I didn't know that, I have seen the thin stuff used in modelling to make replica parts for RC airplanes, I didn't know it came that thick. The stuff I have used is pretty soft and would wear easy. Anyway I'll sort out my current setup first.
BTW Fibreglass is easy.

Latest posts