driving lights / light bars??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Headsup,,

HeadsUp said:
not too fussed on the 7 or 9 inch round as i think they are overkill and often block airflow to the radiator if fitted in front of the grille.

i put a 20 inch 120 watt cree light bar on my hilux a couple of years ago but its only just enough for bush driving in my opinion.

If you fit a light bar , aim for 180 - 200 watts , any more than that and you are just a road hazard , you will blind the roos or fry them to a medium rare steak , blind other drivers and create global warming.

Ask if you actually need them , or is it "just for looks" ?

One point to consider , if you mount a light bar on the roof , will it be angled so the light illuminates your bonnet and distracts your vision from seeing the road or will it be mounted so just the roadway is illuminated ?

I remember a lot of years ago I was driving in NSW somewhere and it was a very long straight with undulating hills. A truck was coming towards me and we both topped a rise and lowered our high beam to meet each other at the bottom of a low point. To our surprise we did not notice the mob of about 10 pigs on the road when we passed each other because we did not have any night vision left. All we saw was pigs going everywhere and not many survived. Thank god I was driving an old Land Cruiser.

Moral to the story. If you have too bright a light, do not expect to see much when you go back to low beam. They might look good but are not very practical especially when you get older.

Cheers 8) 8)

Doug

Rockhunter62 is spot on ,if you have good spotties it's best to upgrade your cars lights otherwise they will look like shite when you dip down..the big 90 watt Hid are unbelievable on a long straight but no good on the curves ..and the leds give great spread ..in SA lights can be mounted anywhere as long as they don't block your view down the road..not quite anywhere,must be semetrical..

Any one know what happens when you cross the border..and your set up is not legal in that state but legal in yours..what can the cops do ?

I don't actually know but suspect that local rules will carry the day with most Highway Patrol cops. One example I do know of is that VICROADS allow for simple box trailers up to 6x4 to be exempt from registration (Exempt Trailer) you need only have a duplicate of the towing vehicle's registration plate affixed to the rear of trailer. But if that trailer is towed well into NSW or SA it could attract a fine for being an unregistered trailer.

casper

Laws of the originating state follow through to the State being visited.
Only thing the Coppers really jump on hard is over weight and lighting.
In NSW, The weight of the trailer being towed must not exceed the maximum towing
rating of the vehicle.
In Victoria, The cargo weight can be transferred to the trailer being towed.
I have seen a commodore Station Wagon towing a 22 foot boat.
Some one correct me if I am wrong please.
I myself would never tow beyond 3/4 the weight of the vehicle.
Just too unsafe in a sticky situation.
My Prado weighs close to 2 tonne empty.
500 Kilo's extra laden.
Caravan is only half that.Fully Laden with water tank full at 1200 Kilo's.

Baldy, You could cook a camel with those at 200m. Looking at the link below I think you would be ok with the cops. Might pay to print it off and keep it in the glove box just in case. Apparently light bars on roof racks are ok as well as long as they don't dazzle oncoming drivers.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...15.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEIBzvXfGugVWlIOV-vKyLP0dEmnA.

Edit: seems I have put up similar info to Casper.

Hi wishfull,yeh the regs changed a few months ago..the prob is over the border,no lights above the bonnet..a cop at a Bretho on the Nullarbor did say they weren't leagal in WA! But weren't too fussed..would like to know where we stand with diff regs in diff states..not that I'm going to change them anyway..when dealing with any body from the Govt I always say can you quote me that legislation..that's the only thing the judge cares about..If they don't know their stuff that usually sorts it out..

Baldy said:
Hi wishfull,yeh the regs changed a few months ago..the prob is over the border,no lights above the bonnet..a cop at a Bretho on the Nullarbor did say they weren't leagal in WA! But weren't too fussed..would like to know where we stand with diff regs in diff states..not that I'm going to change them anyway..when dealing with any body from the Govt I always say can you quote me that legislation..that's the only thing the judge cares about..If they don't know their stuff that usually sorts it out..

You have five driving lights so if you loose one ('cos in all states the limit is 4) your strategy might carry you thru on most encounters .....

cheers casper

Best driving lights iv used (my new ones) are Lightforce HTX purchased with plug & play loom. They cost a few bucks but the way I see it I can transfer them to my next vehicle possibly the next few vehicles, included in the insurance policy.

Dual light operation, LED & HID all in the one light operated by 2 switches 1 for LED & 1 for HID.

Sometimes you do not quite get what you pay for as I purchased both the 100 w spot HID's and the LED light bar so long ago can't quite remember but was when LED 's were first coming onto the Australian market and at the time all that was available here in led was Narva. These both came off eBay and were no name dirt cheap from China and turn night into day. Seen hundreds of hours or more on and off road around Oz , have not missed a beat and still going strong . Spread beam passenger side and pencil beam driver side and were about 1/10th the price of similar product , keep expecting them to pack up but they don't , have well and truly exceeded expectations. Maybe I just got lucky but in this rare case my vote is one for the cheapies .
1482721512_image.jpg

Just had these Bush Rangers Installed at ARB came with a pair of clear lens covers $95 each + wiring loom and Installation, pretty happy with them.

1541071728_img_e1012.jpg

Light bars are the new go!
But dont go fitting them above your headlight level (on top of bull bar/ roof racks ec) in nsw.
even if registered interstate.
Deemed illegal! Fines apply.
many people dont even realize in any built up area in NSW you are only permitted to have one pair of lights on. As in no fog/night lights on.
High beam of standard lights is permitted
as in bacchus foto displayed. Illegal to drive in nsw with that fit out sorry mate!
Just an eg. Not a shot at you.

Latest posts