Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been running the 17x13 evo very similar to Dave and John. I actually got the starter settings from John so thanks old hand :)

On the front, mono, fixed, enhance, deep (or G would be fine)
Vol Limit 18
GB type General
Motion Slow
Audio Normal
Audio tone 36 - 40
Signal 19
Target vol 12
Response Inverted (i seem hear the targets better on INV)
Tracking slow (or match what the motion is set)

Rx and stab to suit. A lot of the time rx will only be 7 or 8 but i like to run my machine pretty smooth. Stab will be around the same, 8 or 9.
If i can push Rx to 9 or 10 but that would be max for the 17x13 on mine

How about headphones? Does anyone have a link where to get mono headphones suitable for use with GPX? I mean earphones not those Koss headphones supplied by minelab. Hard to use those in 30+

Nightjar said:
We feed our curly lead through the box cover/protector then into the box plug. The wire then doesn't flex at the connector, which is where they usually break.

I like the sound of that, a good idea. Im not sure yet if my lead is faulty, but it cuts out the sound intermittently with both headphones or a rooster booster.

mbasko said:
Mono? Generally any good quality stereo earphones over 16ohms impedance will work ok. You would need to find some that suit yourself comfort & audio wise.
I tried to use stereo earphones and sound only comes from one end

I use a swr of mono ss300,s on my 4500, get sound in both ears. Its strange, they don't seem as loud as the kos phones, yet they do lift signals better.

I use a swr of mono ss300,s on my 4500, get sound in both ears. Its strange, they don't seem as loud as the kos phones, yet they do lift signals better.

Luke said:
mbasko said:
Mono? Generally any good quality stereo earphones over 16ohms impedance will work ok. You would need to find some that suit yourself comfort & audio wise.
I tried to use stereo earphones and sound only comes from one end

Go to the Minelab manual, seem to recall there was a description about using phones.
Only use dual speakers here, never ending "divers ear" problems using headphones.

With the depth its hard to say there are many variables ,target size ground type [noisy or quiet ground] operators experience regards john :)

Just wondering what settings people are using for this combo? Pretty hot ground, left my JP dvd at home, and any tips would be awesome. Just could not get this running well today. Thanks .

Its a great detector. Spend time playing with the settings when your in the feild. Start with factory (you cant really go wrong with them) and then see what suits you

Have been looking at getting a GPX4500 second hand or new but notice most the second hand ones are out of warranty and are only about $500 cheaper than new do the second hand sellers not see what brand new ones cost for the extra $500you get brand new 3 years warranty why would you brother with second hand at those prices.

Latest posts