Sapphire Bend Vs Little River

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko98

Nick
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me which area might have a better chance of some nice stones popping up.
So far, I've only found gems on Riverview road in the Vulcan at black springs, I've found about 25-30 small sapphires (with about 6 being gem quality) in roughly five trips, however i have made two trips to the little river reserve this year but haven't even picked up some spinel. I've read across some posts on the internet that say you find decent sapphires at the little river, and i was wondering if i could get some pointers or suggestions as i must be doing something wrong. Im perfectly ok for you to suggest a whole new area for me to visit if need be. I'm very keen to pick up a sapphire worth cutting, as i have some silver from a trip to yerranderie that i would be interested in making a ring out of. Any feedback is grealy appreciated!

Thankyou for your time,
Nick.

p.s.
1482198120_15645447_1474013382622581_10920669_n.jpg
Here are my good sapphires and a nice zircon

Hi Nick , if you get a forest permit , go to sapphire bend road , with is the next left turn after the common area at Black Springs. Go into forest on the left hand side & you will see the diggings of the old Brisbane Valley River bed. There are some quite large perfectly round boulders in these holes , which some nice sapphires have come out of.
You will have a better chance here

Look out for a local bloke there named Tex , he will point you good ;)

Cheers Paul

Latest posts