You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Heatho
05 December 2016 06:11 pm

goldierocks wrote:

The problem is that people buy a torch and shine it on a particular mineral and it fluoresces and say "great, it works well" - but they don't realise that it is of limited range of wavelength that doesn't work for other minerals. Anyway, good luck.

I did when I bought my torch, it was specifically for rubies and diamonds that flouresce. Though since giving it a go on some opal I've noticed mild flourescence as well.

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Pro-Find-25, patience, lot's of patience.

goldierocks
05 December 2016 07:29 pm

http://www.ultraviolet-tools.com/ultavi … -lamp.html

This one is $US62 including postage and a pair of their UV safety glasses

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

goldierocks
05 December 2016 07:32 pm

MODERATOR - yes, I mentioned elsewhere that precious opal varies a lot, and a UV plant re-works the dumps at Coober Pedy (where most opal fluoresces). Less than half fluoresces at Lightning Ridge.

Robert Benchley...

Heatho
05 December 2016 07:39 pm

Most of the precious stuff I've tried it on has a bit of flourescence, plus fire opal from I think from South America and the amber nobbies from Lightning ridge my mate gave me show a bit also.

goldierocks
05 December 2016 08:12 pm

It is the problem with fluorescence - often the fluorescence is not caused by the elements that comprise the mineral, but by traces of other elements that it contains (eg in the sense that ruby and sapphire are corundum Al2O3, but what causes the fluorescence is the trace Cr that gives ruby its red colour (or Mn I think for blue sapphire). And of course precious opal doesn't have any colour at all (one is seeing refraction of light around the opal spheres as in a rainbow, as you probably know). I am not sure why so many fluoresce, and I wondered if it might be oil or something between the spheres - some are full of bacterial forms.

Robert Benchley...

1 user likes this post: silver

Heatho
06 December 2016 08:56 am

I am quite well aware of the spheres in opal and traces of Cr in ruby which give these gems their colour, it's also traces of iron in rubies from certain areas that stop them from flourescing. When I go out gold detecting with my mates from Lightning Ridge we sit around for hours after detecting talking about gemstones and minerals. smile

It's titanium and iron that make sapphires blue.

I'm not sure why so many opals flouresce either, it could very well be the bacteria that make it happen. Interesting theory that one. Maybe even some sort of mildly radioactive elememnts? Sort of like the way uranium glass flouresces?

goldierocks
11 December 2016 02:09 pm

Not sure about uranium Heatho but it is a thought - it is a bit elevated in opal

Robert Benchley...

1 user likes this post: Heatho

B5MECH
20 December 2016 02:59 pm

Damn, got my torch today which has beat other chinese c#$p I'm waiting on
I miss understood the listing slightly roll ops from looking at too many lol lol
Thought it came with a cradle for AAA's as well, but no needs a 18650 battery mad roll lol on the hunt roll
Sorry wishfull ops it looks sweet but will get back with a on pic soon
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271717052714 … EBIDX%3AIT
New I should have got the kit with batt and charger roll
1482206269_aaaa_001.jpg
Maybe this one$15.95 yikes

Last edited by B5MECH (20 December 2016 03:18 pm)

A Crystal Ball....a Magic Wand....a Weegie Board....two Dowsing Rods
..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

B5MECH
20 December 2016 04:08 pm

Or I might just buy this which has the battery and AAA cage
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291856317167 … EBIDX%3AIT
fake x800 torch lol lol Aussie seller

Last edited by B5MECH (20 December 2016 04:09 pm)

A Crystal Ball....a Magic Wand....a Weegie Board....two Dowsing Rods
..............................And lots of Bee's.................................

Wishfull
03 February 2017 08:17 am

LoneWolf wrote:

Just search for Black light Torches on fleabay.. Prices vary but most are the same.. If You want UV, they are expensive... Black light torches aren't.... Mine has about 50 Leds and cost $10 from China..(second add on page is my type). but scroll down and you will find cheaper ones...Try and get one from Hong Kong, as anything out of China takes months to arrive now... Due to their Customs and the South China Sea crap..... Sorry im not good with link thingys... roll ....
They are also good for checking $50 notes and next time, take one to a Motel, to check you get ''Clean'' sheets too lol

LoneWolf....

Well I did order one of these in December I did not recieve it and today I got a message from eBay saying that I will be getting a full refund because the seller did not provide a verifiable tracking number. I kept getting messages to check the address and check the post office etc. I got pi#@!d off and contacted eBay. I have never had a problem before.

Last edited by Wishfull (03 February 2017 08:18 am)

Me..GOLD, GOLD...Boss Mmmm do you think we have the right man for the job ?
Turbo gold pan, Ancient 1996 Garret Scorpion gold stinger, Minelab GPX 4500, SDC2300, Detecnix wader Li pinpointer, home made pick, 750 mm Walco pick, understanding wife, most of the time.

LoneWolf
03 February 2017 10:30 am

Sometimes this happens... mad ..This happened to me with some Rocks... took ages in the post, so I asked where they were ? Ebay stepped in and gave me a full refund..... About 10 weeks later guess what arrived in the post... My FREE rocks.. lol If you want I will ask my mate at Minerama if he has any at his stall ... or you could try another seller on Fleabay... This is why I always pay with Paypal... buyer protection no questions asked... smile
Sometimes they have issues dealing with PO Boxes too.... roll

LoneWolf...

Last edited by LoneWolf (03 February 2017 10:32 am)

2 users like this post: Wishfull, jimnyjerry

shivan
03 February 2017 11:04 am

Be careful about the paypal buyer protection. Last time we had a claim on a hard drive we did not recieve, we had to get a police report filed. Paypal denied out claim as the police notary did not have its phone number in the official stamped header. Somehow paypal expected us to ask the police station to change their stationary just for this claim.
This was a few years ago now so i hope they have changed how they deal with things. We were that disappointed at the time we quit ebay and paypal.

Minelab GP Extreme 11" & 18" DD, 2 highbankers, EZ river sluice and a growing collection of sieves and pans

1 user likes this post: Wishfull

Wally69
03 February 2017 06:33 pm

Wishfull wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:

Just search for Black light Torches on fleabay.. Prices vary but most are the same.. If You want UV, they are expensive... Black light torches aren't.... Mine has about 50 Leds and cost $10 from China..(second add on page is my type). but scroll down and you will find cheaper ones...Try and get one from Hong Kong, as anything out of China takes months to arrive now... Due to their Customs and the South China Sea crap..... Sorry im not good with link thingys... roll ....
They are also good for checking $50 notes and next time, take one to a Motel, to check you get ''Clean'' sheets too lol

LoneWolf....

Well I did order one of these in December I did not recieve it and today I got a message from eBay saying that I will be getting a full refund because the seller did not provide a verifiable tracking number. I kept getting messages to check the address and check the post office etc. I got pi#@!d off and contacted eBay. I have never had a problem before.

I ordered one well before Xmas for the family to gift me along with some other stuff from one seller. Got a number of early messages offering a full refund as 'items should have been deliver by now'.

Obvious that they were never sent and although I received the PayPal refund, I suspect the revenue and refund trainsactions at the other end were relatives of Hoover or OMO. wink

Got two other packages from different sellers at a bargain price, so it hasn't put me off ......yet

Last edited by Wally69 (03 February 2017 06:41 pm)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site