Poor mans sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello again
In the absence of an actual sluice, a couple of weeks ago at DC I tried laying a 45 litre bucket on it's side in the water flow and set up rocks to only allow water in to half of it. Then added material that I had only put through my coin sieve (about 12mm), 1 small shovel at a time.

I did 4 of the 45 litre containers this way, reduced each one down to 3 pans using my had to help stir it up in the water flow. Total results were 1 almost picker and I'm guessing 40 or 50 flecks from the 12 pans. Haven't separated from the last bit of sand yet, but here it is anyway.

Since then, I put the panned material through the underflow trap I am playing around with and got more gold dust from it.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/sfF8XRRDGB0[/video]

1481693195_2016-12-04_19.51.17.jpg

Nice gotta show the kids. It'd be interesting to put a partition into the bucket to tune both halves of the flow to see if you can get it to run better. Like a plank of wood to use instead of the rocks but going into the bucket also so the water maintains it's velocity. Tack a 1" square bit of wood to it and you have a riffle.
Jon

Latest posts