QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm starting to worry now.
Power source has just been changed to as batteries on top the box, only giving about 4 hours run time. This does not impress me.

Sling a 10000ma 7.5 v lipo battery in there some where nice and neat. :)
If this machine is as good as it seems,
It would not worry me. :cool:

davent said:
Power source has just been changed to as batteries on top the box, only giving about 4 hours run time. This does not impress me.

The circus that is the " crumpet on a stick " seems to be never ending !
It has been released for sale " available soon " according to the Goldsearch site.
But now there has been a change of plan re the powering of said " crumpet on a stick " because lithium ion batteries are not safe ?
Not quite sure how Minelab and laptop companies manage to safely send tens of thousands of Li ion battery packs all over the world ???
Bugger me, you'd think that would have been sorted before release !
And the saga continues.

EDIT :
Just had a quick read through the manual : Considering Howard claims that Minelab's detectors are hard to understand / operate, this one sure looks hard to understand. Mode reminds me of the Goldscan 5C that I had, which was a crap detector !

Rick

See a couple have questioned the "test comparisons" too - not that air tests mean much if anything in real world situations. Seems one machine tested well below what others are getting. The responders have been very polite about it without ranting etc. but it makes you wonder how accurate the rest is?
To me it only seems as good as they are saying it is (developer/s & hangers on) & we still aren't getting the independent feedback needed. Any criticism, even polite & constructive, looks to be skipped over or referred to the dealer? I hope this thing doesn't come back to bite Goldsearch Australia if it does go bad. 8 years plus & still subject to specification + feature changes on release? All appears unprofessional & unorganised to me.
Wonder what the real issue with the batteries is? Lithium Ion is relatively safe, widely used & shipped internationally so I can't see how they are an issue. He's pretty adamant that if you choose to use anything barring the NIHM rechargeable AA's it will be at your own risk.

If the right charger was supplied with a unique connector, I would
not be worried what type of Batteries it used.
Agreed mbasko.
If you truly want to test a product, Put it out there for a while.
Some one will soon find a way of breaking it.

Araratgold said:
Just had a quick read through the manual : Considering Howard claims that Minelab's detectors are hard to understand / operate, this one sure looks hard to understand. Mode reminds me of the Goldscan 5C that I had, which was a crap detector ! Rick

Thank you - I thought it was just me and my fading faculties! :lol: I can't remember when I've read any manual that says so little but in such a confusing way; it's quite an achievement, actually.

Hmmmmm , what does it mean balance beam? Lol

Hope I can work out how to ground balance it, and really hope I'm wandering around out bush with some duct tape holding my batteries on....

davent said:
Hmmmmm , what does it mean balance beam? Lol

Hope I can work out how to ground balance it, and really hope I'm wandering around out bush with some duct tape holding my batteries on....
Balance beam might refer to their warranty and repair service
It's a fine line :D

davent said:

The developer's latest external Aux lithium battery box idea appears to be a winner positioned under the armrest as a counterweight.

Using his latest lithium battery box idea it could allow up to 40 hours of detecting with the QED's power consumption rate.

Am becoming somewhat disillusioned with the QED promotion, firstly was ready to go, but none available and now with the battery drama????? Contacted Goldsearch initially asked to be notified once available, I`m keen to give it a go, has anyone paid up front and been given a idea when theirs is available?

mbasko said:
Bump.
Nearly forgot about this. Has anyone received one yet?

Still showing as " available soon " on the Goldsearch site ! :rolleyes:
Now where have we heard that before ??!!

My opinion is that the vast majority of us will be using a Minelab well into the future !

The outrageous and unsubstantiated claims that the QED is better that a ZED or GPX5000, have now been watered down to the point where so long as it will beat an ATX or TDI, then that is good enough. Well that is NOT good enough for the vast majority of us, because those two detectors just don't cut the mustard !

Let's not forget that Minelab, who have a proven track record, will already have their next model well underway.
The QED, run by a one man band, will never take any of Minelab's market share, unless it is fully developed by a big company, with a proper warranty, a proper battery system, proper service team to fix it quickly when you are in the middle of nowhere, and performance to at least match the GPX4500, which can be currently bought brand new at $3400 complete ( with 2 coils ), with all the above that I mentioned and 3 year warranty !

Rick

I tend to agree Rick but still interested in hearing how it goes IF it's eventually released.
I thought I'd seen somewhere that they had some ready to go if you could do your own battery pack so was thinking someone may have bitten the bullet. No doubt we would hear about it good, bad or indifferent if they had of.

Will wait and see, apparently bugs is very busy soldering....from what I've read, it will be better than some detectors in some ways, and not as good in other ways. Like anything, it will have advantages for some situations, and I think it will will be good for me, to compliment my gpx, not replace it.
If minelab made a wireless gpx, I would consider that too, but if the QED can handle hot found as advertised, then it should be worth a go for me.