Sluice or highbanker mats / matting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wozza244 said:
I cannot find this V mat at Bunnings anywhere?
I'll try the website now, the team members couldn't direct me any better than I could myself.
Anyone know what aisle maybe?

Ask for where they have all the carpets, vinyls and flooring on the big reels. Shouldnt be far from there mate :)

PicknShovels said:
Ask for where they have all the carpets, vinyls and flooring on the big reels. Shouldnt be far from there mate :)

We looked there but no good?
In Nowra Bunnings.

Found everything but this kind.

It's on the website but I might take the item number from the site with me tomorrow so they can search their database, maybe it's out the back.
Cheers mate!

In Canberra it's where the door mats are, different spot to where the rolls of carpet are.
Jon

I have found that gold will move down the V groove matting over a typical sluice high banker run.
There is a loss, there is no gravity separation process that is 100 % efficient.

yeh Vribb bunnings or clark rubber its great in low pressure/low flow low angle but under load flat or flaky/prickly gold lifts out i'm afraid.
It works best with 2mm expanded mesh floating about 1.5 above it in a sluice.

This isn;t some blind statement i did extensive testing a few years back with 15 grams of varied gold it's really great for crushed gold and 100, 200 mesh but after that you either hold too much white sand to be effective or you cast your gold out from pressure. also this rubber has a tendency to hold air creating little trampolines for your gold to get stuck to whihc floats right out.

Sorry smoky bandit reason you only see the gold at the start is most likely because water gains momentum and carries gold off, there's a bit of a myth about
"i catch all the gold at the top so i'm not losing any" reality is gold will drop out at different times under different pressure and it will separate from clay and dirt or quartz at different point in the sluice so expect to see a bit of gold through your system if its working well.

On the subject running a test pan at the end of your sluice is not a good way to test losses either the only real way to test losses is to dig a hole and highbank into it, the pressure creates a vacuum and you cna test pan after a session and should always see a few flakes or you didn;t feed enough :)

G0lddigg@ said:
yeh Vribb bunnings or clark rubber its great in low pressure/low flow low angle but under load flat or flaky/prickly gold lifts out i'm afraid.
It works best with 2mm expanded mesh floating about 1.5 above it in a sluice.

This isn;t some blind statement i did extensive testing a few years back with 15 grams of varied gold it's really great for crushed gold and 100, 200 mesh but after that you either hold too much white sand to be effective or you cast your gold out from pressure. also this rubber has a tendency to hold air creating little trampolines for your gold to get stuck to whihc floats right out.

Sorry smoky bandit reason you only see the gold at the start is most likely because water gains momentum and carries gold off, there's a bit of a myth about
"i catch all the gold at the top so i'm not losing any" reality is gold will drop out at different times under different pressure and it will separate from clay and dirt or quartz at different point in the sluice so expect to see a bit of gold through your system if its working well.

On the subject running a test pan at the end of your sluice is not a good way to test losses either the only real way to test losses is to dig a hole and highbank into it, the pressure creates a vacuum and you cna test pan after a session and should always see a few flakes or you didn;t feed enough :)
Depends on your set up mate....i have 2 mm all the way down....bit like a clean up sluice....with 5 small inbuilt rifles about 30 cm down.....Gold very rarly moves....but the water flow is slow..and not much drop ....works well ....but the gold i get is very small to dust size...rifles catch the rare pickers....air bubbles you can just brush out before you start your run....but i have no experience with a highbanker.... :D

Hello all ,I am trying to find out where I can buy ribbed matting for my sluice and what is everyones thoughts on different types..

Hi mate there is another thred here somewhere that talks about ribbed matting. ..I got mine from bunnings. ..300mm by 1mtr...cost $11 works a treat.Will buy again..

Hi guys,
Just thought id ask directly regarding about the backed spaghetti mats. Ive noticed people talk about course woven, mid woven etc.
Just wondering if this stuff would be fine or is it too closed?
Thats a $2 coin for size comparison

1481628586_20161213_211722.jpg

Looks like the close woven stuff to me, similar to some I have here, also have the slightly loser woven mat which I have in the highbanker, it works well.
I would think the close woven mat like you have might catch fines better than the loser woven mat but I haven't tried it yet. Check out the Dream mat, I just got a Gold Rat river sluice with it, tried it the other day & it worked pretty well.

Hey What_Trigger,
Wow just saw your post and was going to ask the same thing. I was in bunnings today and saw these grey Mats for about $15 and thought it would be perfect!
My thoughts were that anything is better than nothing and have seen carpet being used so can't see why this woven rubber mat wouldn't work.
Just so you know I know sweet FA about sluicing and can't find anywhere to do in Central Qld anyway but I think I will still make 1 just for the fun of it. Anyway sorry for the lack of knowing.
Hooroo mate.

Been looking at the dream mat, cant find any info though on how it would perform on nuggets in the .5 gram size and up. Although they wouldn't be common and at the end of the day I could just run the detector over the tailings just to make sure.

But if I go that route, it'll be a little further down the track due to the current set up expense

Dirt Monster, That mat from bunnings is exactly what I purchased.
I couldnt find anything else in toowoomba for the day we had up there that wasnt overly expensive and bouncing in christmas shopping.

I was originally from Gladstone but only started fossicking since moving to stanthorpe about 4 years ago

That's what I'll be buying as soon as I get back home in a week. Still don't know where I'm going to use it but hey .... you gotta keep the dream alive. Maybe I will just put a light under the sluice after I make it and display in the shed for moiself to admire! :D

I run the same matting i got from bunnings as well and it has been very kind to me
My new highbanker has what came with it but will be changing it before the next trip
Got some other stuff from masters will post a photo tomorrow for some comments

Got mine from BigW,Bunnings don't sell that mat here anymore.It looks to be the same one I am running in my banker and like Marksman I find it catches the fine gold really well.Put it in your banker Trigger and see how it goes.

Latest posts