QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm aware of the claims made, and from what I've read, getting used to the GB/ bias might be an initial hurdle.
But let's say its performance in hot ground is as good as a 4500. Then it will be an absolute winner, just on swinging all day , there is a question about the battery pack somewhere. I'm sure at the price its selling for, it won't seem its possible to.be as good as ML machines, but I'm gonna give one a go anyway.
Come in spinner!

Spoke to the "developer" today, Malcolm from memory, unit looks simple enough, was demonstrated at the Talbot "test" site.
Currently being hand built (think he said he can do 4 a day.
It seemed to match the 4500 for depth in many aspects in a test environment, Malcolm did say (and I wasn't really paying too much attention) that there is a "blind" spot (something along the lines it will pick up 0.01gms to 4.5 gms and 5gms plus but will (may) miss 4.6 to 4.9gm targets ..... that's with his test pieces.
The blokes up for a chat and I'm sure you could discuss the unit personally with him if interested.
My initial impression was that it's a better proposition than something in the Xterra 705 range.
If you already have a coil, can buy it without one.
For anyone interested suggest you drop Corey M. a note and get Malcolms contact details.
Very interesting, think he also mentioned something about a US patent ???
May be an alternative for those that don't want to part with what Minelab charges.
Cheers Tom.

Have spoken to Corey M. ...... I got the name wrong it's Howard not Malcolm.
Corey M. will get in touch with him tomorrow (Mon.) to see how best to contact him.
Will advise when I find out.
Cheers T.

OK, so at this time of year, Howard is asking that his privacy not be intruded upon, fair enough, Christmas is hectic enough without us detectorists hassling for more info.
Don't think wider availability will occur till early next year, more to ensure a consistent build rate/quality.
Anyway, love the fact that someone's having a go, we all know that most of the costs we incur in buying Minelab are to cover their "intellectual property", and rightly so I suppose, rate her than the actual cost of components. (I own 3 ML units, so not knocking them).
Cheers T.

Unfortunately Howard chose this time of year to release it - not the punters! I don't think the questions will slow down until some sort of manual or other technical explanation on operation is available. Then there could be even more questions though?
By my reckoning being about a week since it was announced there should be at least 20 or so units ready for sale by now if he started making them then? You would think that would have begun prior though? Where the bloody hell are they :lol: We need independent opinions on it!!

davent said:
Yes, I'm aware of the claims made, and from what I've read, getting used to the GB/ bias might be an initial hurdle.
But let's say its performance in hot ground is as good as a 4500. Then it will be an absolute winner, just on swinging all day , there is a question about the battery pack somewhere. I'm sure at the price its selling for, it won't seem its possible to.be as good as ML machines, but I'm gonna give one a go anyway.
Come in spinner!

Sounds good Dave, even if it can match the SD/GP series then it is still going to be a force to be reckoned with. So anything from there up is a Bonus.

John.

The last video I saw was from a couple years ago. Sounded quite similar to a TDI from memory. Hoping they've managed go improve the S:N since then as it seemed to be pinging off a bit. Has there been anything more recent posted up?

The only ones I can find all seem to be from around 2011? None of them are very long vids & don't give much away.
In one demonstrating it pick up a large, deep test nugget to me it sounds the same when it's swung over the ground when he moves away. It all sounded like ground noise IMO & wasn't conclusive?

I'm not particularly wishing to be the devil's advocate here, but apart from the novelty value, I'm puzzled by the amount of interest in a machine that's based on such old and underdeveloped technology. According to the blurb on the GoldSearch website, the QED is a "single channel design", so right away it's clear that there'll be a nugget-losing gap in sensitivity depending on where the ground balance is set, ground penetration will be unpredictably variable and the machine will have inherent insensitivity to rough-surfaced nuggets, porous gold, specimens, etc. The claimed "Superb EMI immunity allowing higher gains to be used", simply means that the machine is relatively insensitive. Potential QED users might as well buy one of the existing Whites TDI/SL/SSP models, if they're happy to walk over gold all the time!

There's a reason Minelab put so much effort into R&D over the last 20+ years and erected a formidable wall of patents to protect the intellectual property that they'd developed. Their technological advances such as Multi Period Sensing (MPS), Dual Voltage Technology (DVT) and Smart Electronic Timing Alignment (SETA) aren't available elsewhere and are key to successfully finding the widest variety of gold types, sizes and depths amongst red clay, hot rocks and charcoal, in often highly mineralised and/or variable ground, hurdles at which all other pulse induction machines have stumbled in Australia, because the outdated, relatively simple technology used isn't really up to the job in our goldfields.

Grubstake, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Obviously, Im hoping that it will give me some advantages over the minelab, while Im sure I will lose some great features of the ML.
I wouldn't suggest that the QED is going to replace my 4500, however, I am prepared to see if it can compliment it.
Like an SDC is limited by its design, I expect the QED will also be limited, however, I hope that limitation is, that it can punch deeper than a 4500, in enhance, with the gain turned down and the stabiliser cranked, if it can do that and see a nugget about the 3 gram plus side, it will fill a gap for me, with the bonus of being light and less restrictive.
ATM, as good as my 4500 is, its really restricted to dry season only, and even then, only on a good day, for part of the day, can I crank the gain and back off the stab. So all the seta,dvt,mps etc etc dont really count for much when you need to de tune it or cant use it due to conditions.

davent said:
Grubstake, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Obviously, Im hoping that it will give me some advantages over the minelab, while Im sure I will lose some great features of the ML.
I wouldn't suggest that the QED is going to replace my 4500, however, I am prepared to see if it can compliment it.
Like an SDC is limited by its design, I expect the QED will also be limited, however, I hope that limitation is, that it can punch deeper than a 4500, in enhance, with the gain turned down and the stabiliser cranked, if it can do that and see a nugget about the 3 gram plus side, it will fill a gap for me, with the bonus of being light and less restrictive.
ATM, as good as my 4500 is, its really restricted to dry season only, and even then, only on a good day, for part of the day, can I crank the gain and back off the stab. So all the seta,dvt,mps etc etc dont really count for much when you need to de tune it or cant use it due to conditions.

Dave does the 45 etc not like wet ground then ?

John.

dry season=fire, fire =charcoal, wet season = wet charcoal......

Also, its just so uncomfortable dragging a battery pack and curly cord around.
Its so hard to use the 4500 to its full effect even in the dry. But I plan on doing some travel, so a 2nd detector will be handy anyway.
I see grubstakes point to, I had a TDI Pro OZ that worked well, but it didnt find gold, and that could just be I didn't walk over any, but after I got the 4500, I started to walk over some....

davent said:
dry season=fire, fire =charcoal, wet season = wet charcoal......

Also, its just so uncomfortable dragging a battery pack and curly cord around.
Its so hard to use the 4500 to its full effect even in the dry. But I plan on doing some travel, so a 2nd detector will be handy anyway.
I see grubstakes point to, I had a TDI Pro OZ that worked well, but it didnt find gold, and that could just be I didn't walk over any, but after I got the 4500, I started to walk over some....

Yeah The TDI Coils are not good enough where as the new Coiltek coils seem to be good ?

It does make me wonder how the QED will work in such conditions, The wet ground must make the ground a lot more conductive as with normal electricity and that might cause the 45 issues, where as VLFs work well the day after a good rain, Makes me wonder how the Z likes the rain.

Thanks Dave.

Mate, I detect with 3 blokes who use Z,s and they all kill it.
They all had trouble to start with, but all nail it now. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.
The 45 is difficult to use in the dry as well, the ground in some places is just ridiculous, one place I know, it would be easier to use it inside my hilux!

davent said:
They all had trouble to start with, but all nail it now. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.
The 45 is difficult to use in the dry as well, the ground in some places is just ridiculous, one place I know, it would be easier to use it inside my hilux!

Yeah I thought the ZED would be the best one for the job, I did not know that about the 45 having problems with the ground, No wonder you have an interest in the QED.

Hope you get your hands on one soon then we will know for sure.

Thanks again Dave.

John.

davent said:
I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.

Think a few others, me included, would get 1 if we had the $$$$'s to spare.
Peed off I didn't take more notice when the unit was on show but feel sure that if it's half as good as claimed it will most likely be a winner ...... AT THAT PRICE.
Can't recommend or bag it at this stage, just have to wait for some test results to come in.
Also good to see someone independent having a try
Cheers T.

davent said:
Just wait 12 months mate...then they'll be 5k :D :eek:

Teemore said:
davent said:
I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had $9,500 to spare.

Think a few others, me included, would get 1 if we had the $$$$'s to spare.
Peed off I didn't take more notice when the unit was on show but feel sure that if it's half as good as claimed it will most likely be a winner ...... AT THAT PRICE.
Can't recommend or bag it at this stage, just have to wait for some test results to come in.
Also good to see someone independent having a try
Cheers T.

As good as it is I think I would be having Guilt trips about it,, I like the 45 and the 5k but I must admit the Z price tag is a whole new ball game,,,

I am having troubles when I think what I spent on my last Guitar,, But I can justify a 45 or 5k and be good with that.