Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone I'm new to all of this and interested in getting into the hobby.

I was looking at buying The x terra 505 from the open range Toowoomba for $498

What I would like to know from everyone is the following:

Is it any good?

Is there a better model for similar price? (Or cheaper price for that model)

What other gear will I need? I'd like to do a bit of gold prospecting but would like to do other stuff as well

And any other random advice you have is more than welcome.

Cheer Ben

The Guys at Open Range are good and also sponsor the Brisbane Club...

So see if you can have a chat to David at the shop...

PS. 505 is not going to be much chop at gold in that area. 705 with a Gold pack, but you would need to have access to some good places as plenty hit the public fossicking places with some big detectors...

Hey Ben - What did you end up doing and how did it work for you - Cheers Mick (Warwick Qld)

To be honest Ben, a good pan and/or sluice backed with a bit of research on where to try digging will yield more than an entry level detector.

Although the entry level detectors are great for finding relics on the goldfields and, yes, if you are lucky enough to walk over a decent sized shallow nugget it will be yours.if you are treating this endeavour as a hobby, (or a bit of in with the kids King68, welcome) then it is all about getting out there and enjoying what comes, or doesn't. If you are more serious chasing the yellow, then a larger investment in technology is wiser.

As for something for your kids King68, mine have interest capped at 20min intervals; was thinking of sending them back for a refund or returning them to creator for an interest upgrade. :rolleyes: when they are interested, looking at a dug up relic, panning for gold or specking for sapphires, feeding a sluice are memorable moments.

505 is a great general purpose coin and relic unit. Parks, old sites, playgrounds, dry beach sand etc. With a DD coil it will handle mineralised soils a little better.

Brilliant - Thank you for the advice Wally69.
They both can sit for hours fishing and he loves playing in mud and water ........ Whilst I may have more of a chance of finding something than keeping them interested: It will be fun trying

Hi, firstly thanks for allowing me to join the group, I am a 43 year old male from north of Tamworth in NSW. Having recently decided to have a go at detecting I was hoping someone maybe able to answer a few questions and point me in the right direction.
Sorry if you have been asked this before but I don't have any one to ask.
So here goes,
Question 1. Is it possible to get a detector that will detect both metal and gold ?.

Question 2. Having a budget of around 400 dollars what is a good starting detector to test run my interest.? Happy to upgrade at a later stage if it becomes my new hobby.

Question 3. If anyone has any handy tips or information that may help I would be greatly appreciative.

Question 4. Where is the best place to buy a detector and source information on the subject?.

Thanks again

Hi mate. A metal detector is just that, it detects any metal, iron,tin cans,gold,foil, the lot.
For your budget, I think a go find from minelab would be close. Anaconda , bcf type shop should have them.
Have read through these pages, a machine in your budget will most likely be a VLF, have a read about the pros and cons of these.heaps of info here, and helpful people.
Cheers dave

i started with an x tera 305 and hated it
so with a budget of around 500 give me an idea of a good relitivly simple machine to use for treasure hunting
cheers

Ace 250 always seemed to out do the mates 305, and now they have the i series that display numbers which would be a serious upgrade from the 250, just not sure what the i series are marketed at cost wise. ;)

Latest posts