Copeland Tops State Conservation Area Draft Plan of Management.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For all here on PA that are interested in Gold Prospecting in the Gloucester Barrington area of NSW; NPWS are calling for submissions on the Copeland Tops SCA draft plan of management.The Copeland area is a historic gold mining area under control of the NPWS and as such there is NO prospecting allowed in any form.
For those interested in gaining some prospecting access to Copeland it would make good sense to spend the time to have your say on why prospecting should be allowed at Copeland given its former gold prospecting history.
https://engage.environment.nsw.gov.au.
The above link will take you to the appropriate NPWS site, scroll down to the Copeland Tops DPOM, fourth entry, all of the details on how to lodge your submission are listed there along with the download of the DPOM.
For those of us living in the central coast of NSW, Copeland is the nearest gold mining area to us and to be able to drive a couple of hours to go prospecting would have to be worth spending some time to put in a submission to try and claw back some access to this interesting area.
So folks here is your chance to have your say and see what people power can do for our great hobby, you will not get another chance to make change on this issue for another five years; submissions close on December second.
Cheers SinHof.

I would be good to see some more enthusiasm on this one -- surely people north of Sydney would like somewhere else to go??

There are about 50 old gold mines on this SCA and it yielded many thousands of ounces in years past. Pretty bushy but still worth a look.

Stephen
President
NAPFA

DEFEND YOUR RIGHTS!

If you live in the Hunter Area or anywhere near Gloucester (NSW) or ever thought about fossicking in the Copeland Tops area, read on.

I received this notice of Public Consultation this week and it follows interest that NAPFA has had in the Copeland Tops area since early in 2014.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/p...rvation-area-draft-plan-management-160378.htm

Submissions are due by 2 December.

SHORT HISTORY LESSON

This area which is a State Conservation Area (SCA) -- has been mined and prospected for since the 1870s. It still has an active gold mine in its boundaries.
Until 2003 this area was State forest or Crown land and Fossicking was permitted. However, access was stolen from fossickers by National Parks through operation of the National Park Estate (Reservations) Act 2003 as part of the outcomes of the North East Regional Forest Agreement.

Since then, because of the unfair prohibition that National Parks maintains for State Conservation Areas (even though mineral titles can be held over those areas), fossicking has not been permitted.

In 2014 NAPFA committee members met with some NPWS executives at the SCA to discuss fossicking and put the view that it be allowed, especially given the former use of the land and the minimal impact that we have.

It has taken NPWS since then to come up with its Draft Plan of Management for the SCA. That plan proposes to maintain the fossicking prohibition.

What you need to know is that Fossicking can be permitted under the NSW National Parks Act in State Conservation Areas provided it is allowed for in the Plan of Management.

This document is setting up that plan. It is a critical document for your future access to this area.

ACT NOW

So, if you are familiar with this area because you fossick there, or you wish to retain it for future fossicking NOW is the time to do something about it.

Dont sit back now and then whinge about it later! There are many good writers on this forum so put your minds to it please!

NAPFA will put in its own submission but your own personal stories and contributions are vital for NPWS to understand that these areas matter to fossickers.

In doing so you may be able to weave in the following points (in your own words):

Fossicking activity adds significantly to the economy of towns in those areas where it is permitted;
Responsible fossicking involves only a very limited, passing environmental effect;
People have been fossicking in NSW since the 1850s and this is a heritage cultural activity that should be encouraged and protected in its own right;
There are known gold diggings in this area;
Fossickers can be the eyes and ears of the NPWS in the field and able to report illegal or suspicious activity;
Fossicking is largely undertaken by older people who enjoy this healthy, outdoor recreational activity;
Fossickers routinely take more than their own rubbish out of areas;
There are bigger environmental issues to focus on such as blackberries, foxes, rabbits etc.
Fossicking will have no lasting impact on the environment.
Fossickers are not looking for money or hand-outs just the right to enjoy the natural bounty of NSW.
Allowing fossicking in the plan of management for this area will increase the enjoyment of the natural estate, in-line with stated policies of the State Government to encourage more recreational use of public land in NSW.

If possible please send a copy of your submissions to [email protected] and to your local State Member of Parliament (with a cover note).

Thanks!

Stephen Dangaard
President
NSW & ACT Prospectors and Fossickers Association Inc.

well said i'm from newcastle area and very peed off that we can't pro sect there i spent good years when i was young camping there with me dad and doing gold panning and going to the mountain main gold mine on a and of year league trip and many years after that to gloustour copeland bretti etc it does defiantly
does add to the economy up there and great place as well Im new at prospecting n went out to ophir orange to prospect now I'm going to gulgong to prospect after christmas in which id like some info on if possible

hi all like some places to chase gold as I'm only new at prospecting close or near newcastle or any places for that matter with in nsw I've got gulgong in mind and heard tamworth and armadale area may hold some places to look but would love some help please with locations river names areas etc
going after christmas so any info would be appreciated

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there was any outcome to this application?
Are there any areas up that way that are open for prospecting?

Latest posts