Detector Rumours

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon said:
Not quite right Whites :lol: Boxes say "Made in the USA" they neglect to tell you the coils are made in China :lol: Bloke my mate knows went into the Aus dealer and the owner told him not to waste his money on a Minelab GPX as they only go 1 to 2 inches deeper than a TDI max. True story, heard it first hand by the bloke. He hired the TDI for a day then went out with my mate with a 5000. The TDI was blown out of the water by the 5. Needless to say the bloke was totally p,d off with the BS he was told. Would like to have been there when he took the TDI back :lol:

The TDI is a very good machine, set up right they are Awesome, The problem lies with the ground balance if you Turn it off it is very close to the ML machines BUT that is a stupid comparison to make because where the hell in Australia can you run it with the Ground Balance turned off ?? Absolutely NO Where. In fact it worked better than my 3500 BUT the moment you turn on the GB you can loose up to 25 to 30 of the Depth, On the Beach I'd say go for it but at all other venue's you have to pick the ML

People have always said they wished the SL had more power But after testing both machines On tiny bits Depending where you set the frequency know the SL goes a bit deeper when you compare them both with the GB ON some times by about half and Inch, but once the targets get bigger than coins the TDI Pro starts to get deeper by a large margin, Even with the GB ON with larger targets the TDI will be not far behind the ML machines and they are close But finding big items is easy so on coin sized targets and smaller the ML machines will beat the TDI's hands down

Another thing people get wrong about the SL is saying that if you turn off the GB it will go deeper, well on a coin sized target if you turn off the GB they Loose depth and on average they see a bit deeper with the GB ON, Where as on the Pro depending on the size of the target it can Add up to 40%+.

Turn on both machine with the GB set to ON and turn them up to 10 THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in the tests I have done so and it mild or normal ground if you have the MXT with the standard 12" coil it will match them, On the beach with the GB off the Pro will be ahead. But forget about all that crap about turning the GB off on the SL because I have tried it dozens of time and not once did I see any real change, and if EMI is real bad and you have to turn the pro down to say 6 or 7 then the TDI SL will be deeper, because I have spent this past winter testing both machines, In Europe I would suggest people get the TDI Pro over the ML because of the junk in the ground over here and a GP/X will have you smashing round the nearest tree, So on the Beach and in Europe I would go the Pro but in Hot ground around the world for prospecting I would say ML all they way.

Hope this helps, John

that is strange I asked the Aus dealer for white's which detector was better TDI or 5000 and he did not exactly say which one was better he just told me for the extra money get myself a 5000 as it has more customization in its settings but if I can't afford the 5000 an older gpx or GP would be fine to use or use the TDI which has some limitations on its settings due to cheaper price. In the end, I asked him about the sdc23 he told me simple to use is great for finding small gold and very easy to use but the sdc23 can miss some gold that a discriminator VLF detector can get and gave an example of gpz7000. he also said there are new heads are coming out possibly in future for the sdc23 which could re-open up goldfields getting more gold deeper than the average joe using the standard setup 8'' coil. I found him to be quite helpful and if new heads come out for the sdc23 I will definitely buy the sdc23 minelab machine.

Neo said:
that is strange I asked the Aus dealer for white's which detector was better TDI or 5000 and he did not exactly say which one was better he just told me for the extra money get myself a 5000 as it has more customization in its settings but if I can't afford the 5000 an older gpx or GP would be fine to use or use the TDI which has some limitations on its settings due to cheaper price. In the end, I asked him about the sdc23 he told me simple to use is great for finding small gold and very easy to use but the sdc23 can miss some gold that a discriminator VLF detector can get and gave an example of gpz7000. he also said there are new heads are coming out possibly in future for the sdc23 which could re-open up goldfields getting more gold deeper than the average joe using the standard setup 8'' coil. I found him to be quite helpful and if new heads come out for the sdc23 I will definitely buy the sdc23 minelab machine.

He's not quite right about the TDI the machine its self has no limits you can even disc junk out with it, It can be extremely deep depending what you are using it for, TO me it is an Extreme hoard hunter / Relic finder its great for finding precious Items from the past theres nothing like it, and it is 2nd in line for prospecting compared to all others but the number one spot belongs to ML, If you want a do all machine then the TDI Pro or the SL are perfect but for dedicated Prospecting then ML all the way, But in a junk filled site it has the edge over all PI's, but I prefer a VLF in such places hands down.

Is strange Neo if that was told to you by the present owner, not his worker. As it is true what he told that bloke. This same person claims on a blurb on himself on his website to be a "prospector" which is total garbage. Ask him how much gold he,s found, and when you do watch his eyes and hesitations :lol: Ex IT worker mate with a good imagination ;)

davent said:
Noticed that Whites TDI PRO OZ have been out of stock for some time, and Whites electronics arn,t even advertising the TDI PRO on their site any more....

It was on their site in September because I ordered one but it has vanished now along with a few other products and if you ask any questions all you get are Pre paid speeches. and nothing to do with your Question.

john

Goldpick said:
You would think Fisher are just about overdue for a new detector release.

Lots of rumours about a Fisher PI ever since Carl Moreland joined but I'll believe it when they make an announcement. More likely from FT is their dual freq unit which is supposed to have kick ass ground handling to rival the SDC.

But all pie in the sky stuff until actually released. A bit of competition is good for the industry.

Makro / Nokta are way overdue after their past flurry of activity. Maybe the Gold Racer 2? Was rumours of a PI on the drawing board but they've been pretty quiet.

Fisher are reportedly close to a new VLF but it's been on the rumour mill for a couple of years now. Maybe? It reads ok from what they have released on it. It'll need to be or it'll just be another in a long list of VLF's trying to elbow each other out of the way with better bells & whistles.

There were some rumblings about a new PI detector from Whites. They took off when the TDI Pro went AWOL from Whites internet site with only the TDI SL now featured. Things have gone quiet & they appear to have their hands full sorting out the MXT Sport "situation". They've got some interesting patents but they're getting old now? Should have had something out by now. I think their patents are now older than the Minelab GPZ ones so they've had the time to do it?

Garrett are reportedly working on a PI that will actually find gold in Australia :p Sorry Garrett fans :lol: I know the ATX works..... a bit sometimes :D

The cute little French thing looks to be the only solid thing with the pending release of the high frequency coils & new software. It's very interesting & will still be very cute to boot. It might even find some gold :eek:

Don't hold your breath from Minelab. The brains are on ice after the GPZ & I'd just be happy to see another software update. Improved wet ground performance & maybe a faster tracking option. But that's a wishlist not a rumour :)
Some other wishlist items:
- a cheaper SDC possibly in a similar package to the Eureka Gold. Non foldable, water resistant not waterproof, 12" x 6" elliptical coil & maybe even no salt timings (if getting rid of them lowers costs?). A cheap Minelab prospecting PI for begginers or infrequent goldfields visitors that will still ping a nuggetlet or three
- SDC2300v2 with manual tuning option, fixed tracking option, 1 or 2 other coil options & an insane level 6 sensitivity that's not for the faint hearted (or those who can't handle a bit of warbling :lol: )
- smaller coil for the GPZ (once the serious blokes get their 19")

Disclaimer: some of the above may be tongue in cheek. Please read as such :lol:

I heard a rumour yesterday that Minelab are very close to releasing a wireless battery and amplifier setup solution for gpx detectors.

1481186196_img_20161203_154300.jpg

Well, there ya go!

Lol!.....will give a full report, when, or if I can ever get my hands on one!

Latest posts