GPZ Shutting Down?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their Z shutting down.

My husband bought the 19 inch coil a couple of weeks back, only had two runs with the machine 1st run the machine shut down after about five minutes, then no matter what it wouldn't start back up.

We had a cuppa and went through trouble shooting removed the battery nothing.

Gave it another try it started back up and shut down straight away.

Came home rang JP went through some stuff got it started, then shut down again.

Put the 14 inch coil back on it started straight up and we let it run for 10 minutes or so, changed back to the 19 and it started and ran, mind you the detector was only on the bench.

Went out this morning five minutes in shuts down got it started then shut down again wouldn't start back up. Back home starts back up.

We are aware the machine will have to go back, but is it the coil causing the problem????

Has anyone had something like this happen to them.
K-M :(

No, not heard of but if I`ve read your post right and it doesn`t do it with the 14" coil, sounds like the 19" coil. But I`d go with whatever JP suggests. Be like losing your right hand having to send the Z away.

Hi Kim-Margaret,
A couple of questions, when you say the machine shuts down, does the audio/threshold cut out? does the screen go blank? does the fault occur when you change from say High Yield to General or visa-versa? the latter can occur when the ground balance does not include the ferrite ring on some 7000's, it does on my machine from time to time, have not had the problem your with the new 19" coil as yet.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hi SinHof

The audio cuts out, we have plugged the ear phones into the machine and there is nothing at all,
Cheers M

Hi Kim-Margaret,

A few people have had the issue where when you change between gold modes or ground types the audio then cuts out - and yes, it doesn't return.
I had the issue sometimes when I first got the machine.
I think it was SinHof that joined the dots and realised that it only happened the times that the ferrite wasn't used.

For whatever reason, with the 19 inch have you stopped using the ferrite?

Northeast.

Does it to me regardless of ferrite or not.
Very annoying and have to turn it off and on again to get audio back.

LC76 said:
Does it to me regardless of ferrite or not.
Very annoying and have to turn it off and on again to get audio back.
Mine went through a stage of doing it too regardless of using the ferrite or not. Just when changing gold modes.
It hasn't done it for awhile now & the last few times out I had been changing modes quite often so can't pinpoint why it was doing it. It's on the way back to Minelab now as the user interface screen has developed the black line/s - I should have mentioned it too but because it's been ok lately wasn't thinking about it. They probably couldn't do much unless it was happening now anyway?
Try giving Minelab a ring today KM? To me it sounds more like your coil not the mode switching issues we've had?

Hi All,
A couple of weeks back my 7000 started dropping the audio when changing between gold modes with the new 19" coil, initially there was no problem with it; turn the machine off and then back on again, ground balance with the ferrite and the problem disappears when changing gold modes, same problem as with the 14' coil. It will be interesting to see what ML have to say on the issue, please post any info that comes to light.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hi LC

Not yet we are heading out on Sunday morning going to take both coils and just see if it runs ok on the 14 there wasn't any problem with it until the 19 inch was put on and of cause we didn't take the 14 along with us on the last trip, I will post on Sunday what has gone on, if it does it with the 14 it will be sent back as it will be clear its a problem with the detector or maybe even the battery, Sunday will tell.
K-M

Hi all
Update no news no change we had bad weather so didn't get out until Sunday gone.
One hour in Audio dropped out changed from 19 to 14 inch coil no good wouldn't start up. Again after 10 minutes started up and dropped out after 10 minutes. Talked with minelab machine is going back but they close down and don't want it until 6th January.
so I will update on this in February by looks of it.
K-M

In the meantime id be asking the shop for a replacement or loaner....not good that your forced to deal with a faulty machine.
Too bad if you had any prospecting planned over the Christmas new year holiday.

GPZ UPDATE

Well it took awhile, machine was returned yesterday. NOT real happy with the communication side of things with minelab.

We packed the machine up and enclosed a long list of what it was doing or not doing. I made sure to do a full detail right down to minutes.

Anyway didnt hear anything for a while so decided to call them, now they say nothing was wrong with the machine I said there is I tell him even when you plug the head phones straight into the back there is no sound at all. He says ok. But mind you they had been given a list of what was going on with it that no one read.

Next call resulted in they replaced the relay in the machine as what was described to him its the only thing it could be.

On return nothing in the box paper wise stating what was done.

In saying that just lots of numbers that only they can understand.

It cost $127.00 to send it reg with tracking.

We will give it a run on the week end fingers crossed
K_M

film it all and send it in on usb or mail box drop... i learnt that lesson a while back when machine was going silent when changing between gold modes.

$127 postage :rolleyes: You can buy a plane ticket for less than that ?????????????? :lol:
Must say complete opposite to the service I received from them ...................... couldn't have been more happier with how Minelab addressed some problems I have had on several occasions in the past :Y:

G'Day Stru,
Did ML manage to fix the problem with the 7000 dropping the audio when changing gold modes? My 7000 was/is having the same issue, I had to return it to ML a few weeks back due to a screen problem as well as the audio issue. ML were very prompt with their turn-round, fixed the screen issue but not able to fix the audio problem. I spoke to the tech guy and he was hopefull that a new up-date will fix the audio issue.
Cheers, SinHof.

I was surprised I had heard minelab were great to deal with,In saying that that weren't bad at all I really thought we would have received a copy of what they had done to it or even a report of what they didn't find or did find,they say nothing was wrong with it, yet we cant use it audio completely drops out after 20 minutes of use no matter what you do cant get it back.

My husband rang JP and went through everything with the machine in front of him and it wouldn't work.

This is why I feel minelab weren't as good with the service JP told us something was wrong send it back.

We will record it next time.

K-M

Latest posts