Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HarryHoudini said:
Umm very interesting vids.
It should not be this hard to buy a pin pointer that plays well with the GPX and does what it is built for : pin point gold.
I would like to have something that does not false frequently. It should not be this hard :)
When turned on they'll pretty much all interfere with the GPX. That shouldn't be an issue really as your coil should be away from the hole anyway unless you like digging to the sound of your pick being detected :p
The problem lies with the ones that interfere while turned off. I was out with a fairly new to detecting mate & went to check how he was going. He complained that he thought the coil was playing up & he couldn't settle the detector down no matter what he tried. I spotted the pinpointer on his belt & said show me that. He laughed & said it won't be that they said it won't react with the GPX. I put it behind my back & his detector immediately quieted down. I then moved it around in front of me & you could hear it react again with the GPX immediately. It was turned off! I can't remember now if it was a Garrett original type or the Minelab one but it was one of the two.
I never bothered with a pinpointer with the GPX after that but the choices were limited compared to now. I do use one with the GPZ but wear it on the back of my harness belt & it doesn't seem to have any effect except when turned on. It was the cheapest one I could find (Mars) but like other more expensive ones I've owned (Garrett & Minelab) is prone to falsing on some ground. Other than that it seems to work ok for what I want but I rarely use it.

HarryHoudini said:

TAKE TWO try again
Harry just be aware that there is two years in electronics advancement since this vid which can be a lifetime in electronics. Also thanks to info from Nenad that pin pointers can be come in PI or VLF format. Something I wasn't aware of when I purchased mine
Good luck in the hunt ..................... decisions decisions.
:)

mbasko said:
HarryHoudini said:
Umm very interesting vids.
It should not be this hard to buy a pin pointer that plays well with the GPX and does what it is built for : pin point gold.
I would like to have something that does not false frequently. It should not be this hard :)
When turned on they'll pretty much all interfere with the GPX. That shouldn't be an issue really as your coil should be away from the hole anyway unless you like digging to the sound of your pick being detected :p
The problem lies with the ones that interfere while turned off. I was out with a fairly new to detecting mate & went to check how he was going. He complained that he thought the coil was playing up & he couldn't settle the detector down no matter what he tried. I spotted the pinpointer on his belt & said show me that. He laughed & said it won't be that they said it won't react with the GPX. I put it behind my back & his detector immediately quieted down. I then moved it around in front of me & you could hear it react again with the GPX immediately. It was turned off! I can't remember now if it was a Garrett original type or the Minelab one but it was one of the two.
I never bothered with a pinpointer with the GPX after that but the choices were limited compared to now. I do use one with the GPZ but wear it on the back of my harness belt & it doesn't seem to have any effect except when turned on. It was the cheapest one I could find (Mars) but like other more expensive ones I've owned (Garrett & Minelab) is prone to falsing on some ground. Other than that it seems to work ok for what I want but I rarely use it.

Matt,,,,Another thing I noticed it that if you turn a pin pointer side on the Coil on a PI regardless if the PP is turned on it will upset the PI machine, I am not sure if it is picking up the battery or the Rod/Winding in the PP ?? but it sure does drive em nutz.

HarryHoudini said:
How does the Deteknix play with Minelab gpx4500?

Just flick your coil switch to Cancel then turn your pin-pointer on.

You can also really minimize any interference with any detector by switching on your pinpointer and place it on the ground then do a noise cancel (auto tune) on your detector.

The best part of the Deteknix is zero mechanical falsing. I.e. when you are pushing the pinpointer probe in through loose dirt and rocks trying to find the target. A lot of others will start beeping as the probe flexes lightly - this is not good. The last thing you want to do in hard packed dirt, is to dig in the wrong spot.

Eski said:
Hi phase Tech, , how does the re-chargable wader go on a gpz?

As per my previous post.
I use one all the time with the GPZ. As Mbasko said your detector is already away from the hole so you don't hear your pick on every swing.

Has anyone used the Gold digger Land or sea in the field other than nicko61 to give a review?

just asking :)

Thanks GG

goldengoose said:
Hi nicko61,

Wondering if you have tested the Land or sea in the field yet? Or anyone else has some feedback?
At the beach or in the the dirt. Interested how they perform

Cheers
GG

nicko61 said:
Hi, just tested my new Gold Digger Land or Sea pinpointer and i cant beleive how far it picks up metal , goes off around 13cm from target , ive watched several video's of good brands and i got the impression they mostly went off when you were about 4 cms away ,this is just an air test,will it act the same in dirt ?

I Import the Land or Sea so add salt to taste.

What I and about 100 users are finding is that the Land or sea is the equivalent of any of the major brands as far as sensitivity and range go. (It has 4 settings)

It lacks the ratchet feature or the ability to shorten the range with a button push, Think Carrot and TRX. I personally find that the setting of 4 is a bit much and I run it on either 3 or 2. 3 in the sand 2 in the dirt.

The LED is the brightest of all the pin pointers I have ever seen, it is basically a mini torch and I use it a lot at night for that reason. I hunt nights in summer as its too hot in the day mostly.

I have had 1 complaint about that cap coming off in the surf, but I couldn't get any photos or the pointer back to see what happened as the guy reckons he binned it. So I'm out on if it happened or not? I would have replaced it if cap faulty.

The cap does seem weird in that the last few threads only grab as you screw it down, But so far no other complaints except 2 I sent where DOA. I now test every one before I send it so that never happens. One was a freakshow! a brand new detectorist got it and the poor bloke spent a month with this horror of a thing. I got it back, replaced it and found on disection, that it had some missing shielding on a wire and as it vibrated the pointer picked up that wire moving. It wasn't the devil as first thought.

So In all I have had about 3% do either something weird (1) or not work at all (2) the rest are working well.

About 6 of my mates use them locally and none have egged my house, stopped inviting me to hunts or bought other pointers. ALL had come from either a garrett or a minelab that failed in some way after a lot of use.

Battery Life is about the same as my TRX (That I Love, except the light) and I find that I only miss the ratchet feature when using the land or sea as I am totally addicted to using that feature on the TRX.

Again I do Import them, But I have sold just over 100 over about 8 months or so and that is the general story so far.

Hope that helps.

Clegy

HarryHoudini said:
So what are the main differences between
Deteknix Xpointer Wader Pinpoint Probe
and Deteknix Xpointer Wader Li pinpoint probe apart from the price.

Seems like the way to go.

Cheers

Wader runs off your choice of 9V or 2 x AA's.
Wader LI has a built-in Lithium battery, which charges off USB

Thank you clegy and AngerManagement for your replies.

There is a lot of info about other pinpointers on PA but not a lot I could find about the Land and sea.

Cheers
GG

goldengoose said:
Thank you clegy and AngerManagement for your replies.

There is a lot of info about other pinpointers on PA but not a lot I could find about the Land and sea.

Cheers
GG

Lots of Pros and Cons for all pinpointers - Then you have Brand loyalty / Agents / Distributors and also many crappy U-tube vids that scream all sorts of stuff, but too many variables and tweaks that can enhance BAD points or so called Good points.

And Air testing is not 100% and even having stuff buried is not the same as soil conditions change...

Then there is outside RFI and of course what quality Battery is being used etc. Seen many reviews where it is clear that one pinpointer has a bad battery or some other fault and being compared with teh outcome that it is CRAP.

That is why I had about 15 different ones and could do a side by side test. But again not 100% as I do not have the same soil or beach conditions or 20 different Detectors to see how they work together....

WARNING: Water proof even for Detectors has to be reviewed as SOME are but only work great in fresh water. Many a waterproof detector may be classed as such and work in a lake or river but different when in SALT WATER... Same as Pinpointers... And my biggest issue with teh Garret AT Pro Pointer is the way it behaves in Salt Water or when diving with it...

I have my Favorites but no one pinpointer suits all conditions or requirements :)

Hi all, I have been reading with interest on pinpointers. Can anyone tell me how small a piece of crap or gold they will detect ?

I find it frustrating going through handful after handful of dirt trying to locate a signal only to find it's still in the pile of dirt, and after many more handful's I finally find it's only a small bit of lead shot.

Will pinpointers detect these small bits of rubbish or gold, so I can find these a bit easier and quicker or do I have to just try and be patient and keep sifting through endless handful"s of dirt.

Jungles

jungles said:
Hi all, I have been reading with interest on pinpointers. Can anyone tell me how small a piece of crap or gold they will detect ?

I find it frustrating going through handful after handful of dirt trying to locate a signal only to find it's still in the pile of dirt, and after many more handful's I finally find it's only a small bit of lead shot.

Will pinpointers detect these small bits of rubbish or gold, so I can find these a bit easier and quicker or do I have to just try and be patient and keep sifting through endless handful"s of dirt.

Jungles

A: every pin pointer is different.

B: most have issues with small sub gram gold and not all gold is the same

C: Small scoop and dirt in it and over the coil... Then Binary division... Tis teh way most do it.

Yep, definitely agree with the small scoop theory. Much quicker, more sensitive and less dropped through the fingers. Murphy's law suggests that the one bit dropped through your fingers will be the target you're looking for :rolleyes:

Well I have two pinpointers
Minelab and Deteknix Xpointer Wader Li ( its a Christmas pressie so I am not allowed to use it YET!)

The Minelab picks up very small pieces of gold and you can see this on youtube. I have used it many times to speed up recovery.
The minelab does false a few times and I need to turn it off and on to reset. But I would not be without one in the bush.
Saves loads of time when you get practiced in its use.

Not sure about the Deteknix Xpointer Wader Li yet but I will test it (Christmas day) the thing I liked about the Deteknix Xpointer Wader Li is the extra functions and it stands out when I leave it behind. And yes I know the minelab beeps, but on a windy day and headphones on its easy to leave behind. I have put bright orange tape so it stands out.

Battery life:
Deteknix Xpointer Wader Li rechargeable
Minelab 9v had it 7 months and never changed it yet.

But really it depends what you like. Its like holdens and fords.

The choices are many.

Cheers

We have three Xpointers in our family now and have never had a problem with any of them.
They do react with each other over a surprising distance and I have to keep reminding the missus and kids to turn the off when they are not using them.

The only issue with build quality is the first one I bought cracked where the end cap screws on.
Took me a week the realize I did it myself when I was the pushing down on the cap to fit the protective cover that goes on the tip, I'm a lot more careful now.

For $150 you can't beat them, I'm yet to see any over $200 that can better them for distance.

Daggy