fluorescent gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only ever seen it done on Opal mullock heaps....the uv makes the potch stand out and they're much easier to spot. I recon that bloke was scouting about looking for ...drop bears...or maybe illegally spearing fish.

you'd be right there Duck....lots of minerals would show up easier on UV.....don't chase minerals much as mostly into the gemstones we can facet and form into pendants / rings etc. Liz is a keen jewelery designer and we like to make the pieces from the gold and gems we find ourselves..only stones we chase are...opals, sapphires ,garnets ,zircons ,Peridot ,topaz ,and the full range of colored quartz crystals.
If ever you hear of any areas that contain these I'd be grateful for the info....Cheers Wal.

Some diamonds will fluoresce under UV light also. There are supposed to be deposits around Oberon, could be a good way to test suspected diamonds.

We often get the UV light out for night fossicking when on the Zircon field at Mud Tanks - Harts Range NT- this is successful in finding the cutters left behind by other fossickers- We'll be back there at the end of the month so if you see purple / uv lights they are likely to be the missus & me not Min-Min lights

I just posted elsewhere (forget where but search me) re dangers of UV and protection, different wavelengths (some is highly dangerous) and types of lamp, buying lamps and goggles, and minerals that fluoresce. You can get a powerful lamp of both short and long wavelength, filtered, plus goggles (and gloves of course) for under $100 (eg Prospectors Supplies in NSW).

Your torch UV will possibly be useless - you need more than 4W power and it should be filtered wavelength.

It is not potch but precious opal that UV tends to be used for - most at Coober Pedy fluoresces but only some at Lightning Ridge (varies by field) - a plant with a conveyor and an operator in a dark room with UV light re-works dumps at Coober Pedy.

goldierocks said:
I just posted elsewhere (forget where but search me) re dangers of UV and protection, different wavelengths (some is highly dangerous) and types of lamp, buying lamps and goggles, and minerals that fluoresce. You can get a powerful lamp of both short and long wavelength, filtered, plus goggles (and gloves of course) for under $100 (eg Prospectors Supplies in NSW).

Your torch UV will possibly be useless - you need more than 4W power and it should be filtered wavelength.

It is not potch but precious opal that UV tends to be used for - most at Coober Pedy fluoresces but only some at Lightning Ridge (varies by field) - a plant with a conveyor and an operator in a dark room with UV light re-works dumps at Coober Pedy.

My UV/Black light torch shows my Collection of Fluorescent Minerals well.... Only cost $10 from fleabay...And it's pretty good in the field too.... There's nothing in my collection that doesn't "Glow" under this Torch.... Although, some only glow under SWUV, others under LWUV or both and only a few under Black Light... Also, not all minerals/gems on the list will glow.... I have two pieces of Magano calcite, both from Broken Hill but only one glows :rolleyes: .... Every Gem Show I go to, My Torch comes too 8)

LoneWolf....

LoneWolf said:
goldierocks said:

My UV/Black light torch shows my Collection of Fluorescent Minerals well.... Only cost $10 from fleabay...And it's pretty good in the field too.... There's nothing in my collection that doesn't "Glow" under this Torch.... Although, some only glow under SWUV, others under LWUV or both and only a few under Black Light... Also, not all minerals/gems on the list will glow.... I have two pieces of Magano calcite, both from Broken Hill but only one glows :rolleyes: .... Every Gem Show I go to, My Torch comes too 8)

LoneWolf....

Lonewolf I would like some more info on your tourch please make etc.

Just search for Black light Torches on fleabay.. Prices vary but most are the same.. If You want UV, they are expensive... Black light torches aren't.... Mine has about 50 Leds and cost $10 from China..(second add on page is my type). but scroll down and you will find cheaper ones...Try and get one from Hong Kong, as anything out of China takes months to arrive now... Due to their Customs and the South China Sea crap..... Sorry im not good with link thingys... :rolleyes: ....
They are also good for checking $50 notes and next time, take one to a Motel, to check you get ''Clean'' sheets too :lol:

LoneWolf....

I got the Streamlight 3C-UV twin task torch, heavy duty, it's very good, makes Rubies glow nice and bright. I mainly only use it for authenticating rubies in jewellery, not all of them will flouresce but most do. Also if there are multiple diamonds in rings or bracelets usually one in every 5-8 will flouresce a milky white colour. None of the zircons I've found will flouresce but some Aussie ones are supposed to.

Rubies without UV
1480802303_20140504_174645.jpg

With UV
1480802303_20140504_174719.jpg

1480802518_20150528_172241.jpg

1480802519_20151108_183309.jpg

:) Heatho, Rubies and Magano Calcite are my fav ;) I have even gone to the extent of making a "Cave'' out of expanding foam in a box to display my Beauty's.... Next project is a larger Cave out of a corner TV cabinet.... Shame anything that 'Glows' is expensive... but I have about 20 pieces and the collection is growing... I also have one piece out of three buckets of Fluorite from The Gulf area near Emmaville that Glows Blue...:D

LoneWolf.....

:lol: Only if you stay in Motels Wishfull... Good for checking if the missus is cleaning well too :lol: ... Seriously tho they have many uses and mine goes out camping, Gem shows, Fishing and Fossicking....
You can purchase on fleabay, a Black light Torch and 6 different Minerals in a 'Kit' to get you started for about $100.... That's how I started.. now I have around 20 pieces and growing....
Interesting World the Fluorescent..... Some even Glow after I have broken them with a hammer or cut with a saw .... You can even 'enhance' the Reaction by placing some types of rocks in an oven and heat to around 400 deg for a few hours, then let them cool naturally.... Most Magano Calcite has been treated this way. ;) ..

LoneWolf....

LoneWolf said:
goldierocks said:

LoneWolf....

The main issues are - (i) the lesser range of wavelength that you may have (if your manganocalcite doesn't fluoresce this can be a reason) - many cheap and light sources are designed to only produce UV at the very end of the range close to visible, for "fixing" nail varnish in salons and glue (ii) the power (need more total darkness to view with weak wattage and won't "excite" the specimen as strongly - the amount of coloured light you see emitted from the specimen is proportional to the amount of energy you shine on it), (iii) the lack of a filter, so that it is actually shining a small bit of visible light on the specimen not just pure UV. (iv) danger - how sure are you that the cheap Chinese lamp it is not emitting strongly in the dangerous range that will burn your eyes (you can get around this by always wearing gloves and goggles, but most people only do this for lamps they know emit in the dangerous range.

Read my blog that I mentioned for more details....well under $100 will get you an excellent full wavelength portable and 240V rechargeable lamp plus UV safety specs (I paid about $68 plus postage from a rapid NSW Ozzie supplier) - if you are keen is it worth having less for your hobby?