QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well. There has been a post that States the QED will be distributed by gold search Australia from December 7, and it will come fully assembled with a 12" NF evo as standard, price less than a 19" Z coil. I'm gonna get one as a 2nd detector if it actually happens.
Anyone know anymore about it?

1480745631_img_20161203_154300.jpg

Interesting that it's finally going to be available, very keen to hear of peoples thoughts and see some reviews when it's out.

Also it's bound to cause a bit of internet biffo. :D After seeing what sort of arguments a new coil can cause, a whole new detector will be WW3......

Anyway, jokes aside I'm really interested to see how it goes.

How'd ya get a photo of it? That's up there with Bunyip photo's :lol:
Read a post & the bloke reckons he's got one on order with Goldsearch Australia already? Might be something to it this time although I've lost count of how many times it was close to or getting ready for release - goes back to 2008 I think?
I'll believe it when it's on the shelf at GSA on the 7th. Might get one to if they materialise & reports are good. Wouldn't get one until some reports come in - this things been the biggest hyped up thing in history. Might wait another 8 years for QED II :p

Bugger it, I'm gonna get one and make up my own mind, if its a world beater, I'll keep it myself and hope no one buys any, if its a did, well I pay a lot for a 12" evo. I reckon its great that the little player is having a go. I make lures out of timber, hand made, cost me 10 times as much to make one compared to the big companies who mass produce millions of plastic ones a year. And to top it off, truth be known, no 2 I make are ever identical. Anyway, hope he actually gets them in stores asap, I want one no matter what.

mbasko said:
How'd ya get a photo of it? That's up there with Bunyip photo's :lol:
Read a post & the bloke reckons he's got one on order with Goldsearch Australia already? Might be something to it this time although I've lost count of how many times it was close to or getting ready for release - goes back to 2008 I think?
I'll believe it when it's on the shelf at GSA on the 7th. Might get one to if they materialise & reports are good. Wouldn't get one until some reports come in - this things been the biggest hyped up thing in history. Might wait another 8 years for QED II :p

I've been testing a prototype. Its better than my....just kidding, pic is from another forum.

Interesting to see those involved with it aren't really talking it up against Minelab machines too much. They are saying that field testing has shown that the QED will outperform the Whites TDI for depth & sensitivity on gold + will be cheaper than the cheapest TDI variant (TDI SL I assume not the SPP?). I read one older comment that it would rival the GPX but "rival" can be a long way removed from matching it? Most people that are saying it will be as good or better than the GPX aren't involved in it but merely onlookers, like us, that seem to be more hoping than knowing.
In any case it looks to be an interesting detector at the pricing being hinted at! Even if it is somewhere between the TDI & GPX it will be good value. I won't be getting one unless it can positively be shown to surpass what's available now - no use otherwise.
After seeing many many false starts, promises of "soon to be released" & nothing concrete I had put it down to a white elephant. Looks like Wednesday there may be a few eating humble pie :lol: maybe......

I remember grabbing a copy of the circuit when this was first in development. Its a pretty straight forward design thats better than a few commercial machines I have seen. At that stage it was using pic chips for timings, gate controls and control display/keypad.

I used the timings in a unit I was working on and the ground balance etc wasnt too bad. I dare say its been tweaked in the last year or so and if it has retained the basic original circuit, would be an ok machine. It wont be as good as a GPX or SDC but it should do ok mineralised ground where some of the other machines have issues.

Apparently it is now different to when it was first developed although those early video tests at that in-ground test showed it certainly had potential back then.

SteelPat said:
I remember grabbing a copy of the circuit when this was first in development. Its a pretty straight forward design thats better than a few commercial machines I have seen. At that stage it was using pic chips for timings, gate controls and control display/keypad.

I used the timings in a unit I was working on and the ground balance etc wasnt too bad. I dare say its been tweaked in the last year or so and if it has retained the basic original circuit, would be an ok machine. It wont be as good as a GPX or SDC but it should do ok mineralised ground where some of the other machines have issues.

Won't be as good as a gpx? Which one? 4000,4500,5000? None? Might be as good for me up here. For example, I have to run my 4500 in enhance, and some days my gain has to be down as low as 5 and stab 7. If the QED allows me to crank the gain and use evo coils, I reckon in my area, it could very well be as good or better than a gpx.

Also, I see it as $1200 anyway, 12" evo it comes with is a handy thing for the 4500 if its a did.

Looks like it will be a while now.....bloke was going to buy 1 of my rifles pulled out. Need to sell it 1st. No rush , to bloody hot now any way. But I'll order one when I can.

davent said:
Lol! Pioneer....no, gambler.....yep!
:lol: well I wasn't going to say it!
Have they released any more technical info yet or a manual? Sounds like there's going to be a "knack" to it with having to correctly adjust the earth field cancellation, ground balance & volume together correctly to get good sensitivity. Might prove overly complicated for some?
Interesting how people are getting into it & talking it up without having ever used it. Some are saying how good it is not to have the usual "pro" supporters behind it but I can't find any independent or individual opinion on it's performance/use anywhere. It's all on the "pro" QED site & from those involved with it directly or their supporters. More one eyed info than Minelab or any other brand as far as I can tell. The "air tests" using smaller than 1 gram gold & then aluminium test pieces haven't convinced me :|
They need to get one in the hands of a trusted reviewer or 3 - how busy are you Nenad? :D

I will be watching this with great interest as you have seen.
I have just about every thing for this, Coils, Shafts.
Only thing I will need is an arm rest and a handle.
Quick run in the Man Cave will soon sort that out. :)

Latest posts