safety for gas fridges

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all. just wondering if anyone could help.. Is there any danger in running your gas fridge in the ute canopy while your sleeping. carbon monoxide poisoning or similar..sorry if its a silly question......thanks.....

A 3 way gas fridge in a caravan is vented to atmosphere. If you have a 3 way in the back under the canopy and you are sleeping next to it, make sure your Last Will and Testament is up to date....... It's not just dangerous, but bloody suicidal.

A couple near Ballarat sleeping rough in a car were recently killed by their portable gas heater whilst trying to stay warm. They were found at something like 9.30pm the same night, so it didn't take long.

Get an Engel or a Waeco 12 volt only.

Thanks mate.. I remember reading about that in the paper.they were using a butane gas heater to stay warm .Ive since done some research and honestly dont now what i was thinking...lol..I reckon Ive got it sorted now though.. cheers..

Power up the 3 way on the 240v supply the day before going out to get it down to the right temperature. Run it on the 12v in the car on the way out to your camp. Take it out of the car and put it on a fridge stand and hook it to gas, a 9kg bottle should last 30 days. Never run it on gas in an enclosed space.

gcause said:
Power up the 3 way on the 240v supply the day before going out to get it down to the right temperature. Run it on the 12v in the car on the way out to your camp. Take it out of the car and put it on a fridge stand and hook it to gas, a 9kg bottle should last 30 days. Never run it on gas in an enclosed space.

That works, it's what I do with my Van, except no need to lug a heavy fridge.

For a vehicle fridge you can't beat the Engel. No need for 240 VAC (unless you want to pre cool on a hot day). Mine is permanently wired to the Auxiliary battery so ok when driving. I don't need to take it out to run on 12 VDC camping and if not driving my genny or portable 120W solar panel will keep the battery charged ad infinitum.

Hey,

I have gone through a blog, which have some information which can help. You can check that post at blog of Australiawideannexes.

A portable 3 way fridge typically uses a 150W element. Divide that by 12V = a current draw of 12.5amps. So on a cooler night it might cycle at about 25% so 3.1 AH, but on a warmer night it will cycle nearer 60% = 7.7 AH.

A 100AH AGM auxiliary would last between a day at best and just about overnight at worst. But in saying that an AGM should only be cycled between 25 and 50%, so cut those times in 1/4 to 1/2 and it won't be enough.

A 3 way is meant to be used;

On 240VAC for initial cool down, or if mains are available i.e. a caravan park,
On 12 VDC only when driving so that the charging keeps up with the demand (alternator or DC to DC charger),
On LPG when no mains available and camped up, but always in a well ventilated area and never when driving.

Bloke,
That is correct if you do not have vents down low as in the door and vents up high.
The original owners of my Avan had a piece of Canvas velcroed over the lower door vent to,
" Keep the dust out. "
It is not there now and neither is the Velcro.
Both vents behind the fridge are clear and unobstructed.

Old Fred said:
MKe sure u run it on 12 volt (from auxcillary bat ) at night . Run it on gas u die :)

And I run it on Gas at Hill End as the 240v element died.
The Gas Detector down low did not go off. :) :)
Finally, My Beer was nice and cold at that and
I woke up to enjoy both life and Beer the next day. :D :D :D

I know of 2 occasions when a small piece of paper has blown across on to the pilot light and has caught on fire..The first one lost the canopy and a lot of stuff in the back of the vehicle,the second one was spotted early so damage was minimal..Both times the vehicles were under way but just goes to show other dangers besides poisoning..And Tathra..A lot of people use velcro to attach a cover to keep dust out,the trick is to remember to remove them prior to using the fridge...