SD 2100 Mods

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've come across an SD 2100 on eBay for $960, which seems to be a good price. In my research I've noted that there are a range of mods that available for these that are claimed to make them as good as a GPX. Does anybody have an opinion on whether this is the case or not? Are these mods that anybody with a bit of nous and a multimeter can do, or do you have to pay someone like Peter Woodlands a couple of grand to do it for you? The one I'm looking at already has the volume boost mod.

Also, the seller says that the 15 X 12 DD coil he's got on it cost $390 - is this the best coil for it?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what I might be getting into. I actually want an SDC 2300, but the wife won't let me spend anything like that sort of money. ;)

if you are on a budget , try to get a gp or modded 2200, then get a detech 15 DD spiral wound...2100 are good in their own right , but i bought a GP extreme for 950 delivered from a forum member so they are out there. tracking and a GB button sure beats the 2100s manual ground balance for each channel...

G'day guys I picked up a modified SD2100 today with 3 coil's for $675. Modded by woody I don't know much about this machine I'm newish to this.

I had a budget and thought this will do it's my first pi machine some feedback will be great?

Thank you

1585294900_img_20200327_180748.jpg

If you need any advice on it ring woody. He advertises in the back of gold gem and treasure magazine under detectormods.
He will sort you out.
Jim

Well done.

First thing will be to check the 18" coil. If it is anything like the ones supplied with the 2000 then it is best left at home. Try it first, if it goes off every time you hit a rock or shrub then forget it. These coils, known as the "garbage can coil" were notorious for it. Hopefully you will find some gold very soon.

Regards Axtyr.

The 18" rubbish bin lid Mono is a perfect match for this machine, my unmodified machine used to purr like a kitten after a saucer of milk. Found lots of gold in WA where others believed you could only swing a DD.

Get to know this machine and you will do well.
Good luck.

Found this old thread that may help?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29659

triton09 said:
G'day guys I picked up a modified sd2100 today with 3 coil's for $675. Modded by woody I don't know much about this machine I'm newish to this. I had a budget and thought this will do it's my first pi machine some feedback will be great? Thankyou
triton09 i used to use a 2100 dont know much about the mods done to them. But can say stock standard are a great machine.I would suggest read every post nightjar has made about them .Good luck they find gold

Thankyou guy's. I'm going to play around with the sd2100 in Greytown/ Heathcote tomorrow. I do have a couple of tiny pieces of gold to play with. It came with a 6 inch coil

The flat bottom 18" mono you've received is a ripper coil. Runs smooth and is very sensitive and has good depth. This is often referred as the "Kevlar" 18".

Let us know how you go with it.

I picked up a very flat piece from really good depth with one, but that was strapped to a GPX. Thought the nugget would go a few grams judging by the depth I had to dig, but it only went about 0.8g from memory. Depth/sensitivity really boils down to the individual target. Really small stuff will be picked up better by your smaller coils.

Latest posts