Most memorable find and return to owner - Kathleen medal.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been detecting for over 20yrs and have found and returned a lot of jewelry ,telephones etc lost by people. In 2013 I was detecting a beach at Port Victoria in Sa and I found a tiny corroded silver medal. It was inscribed. To Kathleen Edwards Top of Class Grade 1 Port Victoria Primary School 1926. I took it to the local museum and was told the school had closed down 30yrs ago. I was also told Kathleen Edwards was still alive. She didn't live on Port Victoria anymore but still came to visit relatives. The Edwards family had a big transport business the carting wheat early in the 1900s and were a big part of history there. The curator of the museum told me he would give this back to Kathleen next time she came to visit. Little did I know he contacted the local paper and the presentation became news. So my name was put in the paper. Kathleen rang me and thanked me. The medal was originally given to her when she was 6 yrs old
She lost it on the beach shortly after. When she got it back she was 93yrs old. Lost for 87yrs. I do get a bit of a lump in my throat thinking about it.. My best find!!!!!

I have been trying to send a picture of Kathleen with medal. She actually donated it to the museum.

1480278554_1480278101_wp_20161126_17_14_39_pro.jpg

Pretty amazing to think the medal had been lost for so long, netherlone the possibility of it ever being found again. Would have brought some memories back for her, great story and well done. :)

Latest posts