Headphones or Earphones suggestions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Just got a set of Audio Technica ATH-ANC33iS QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones @ 32ohm to try out for summertime. Hopefully they are ok https://www.storedj.com.au/products/AUD-ATHANC33IS ? Will be interesting to see how effective the noise cancelling is in noisier conditions.
If not it'll be back to the WM12 module speaker for summer.

From my experience, Audio Technica - brilliant sound, but not very loud. Be interesting to hear how these go being Noise Cancelling.

If it's too hot for headphones, I just go back to my GME speaker on the shoulder. If it's too windy, then the Frillneck "Arafat" hat comes out, and the headphones just sit on top of the ear flaps.

hi Davent, the drivers in them ss300 look A LOT like the drivers in old telephone handsets, remember the old telstra ones?

and it looks as though they have just been hot glued in.

i have seen the the old telephone drivers put into koss ur30s...

otherwise the Senn 280pro are awesome , come with a super long and tough curly cable , and second hand can be had for $80...

PhaseTech said:
mbasko said:
Just got a set of Audio Technica ATH-ANC33iS QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones @ 32ohm to try out for summertime. Hopefully they are ok https://www.storedj.com.au/products/AUD-ATHANC33IS ? Will be interesting to see how effective the noise cancelling is in noisier conditions.
If not it'll be back to the WM12 module speaker for summer.

From my experience, Audio Technica - brilliant sound, but not very loud. Be interesting to hear how these go being Noise Cancelling.

If it's too hot for headphones, I just go back to my GME speaker on the shoulder. If it's too windy, then the Frillneck "Arafat" hat comes out, and the headphones just sit on top of the ear flaps.
Yeah they aren't overly loud PT but in saying that I was still picking up faint signals so they do the job. The noise cancelling is minimal in the bush & is more like a minor boost + bit clearer sound. I initially tested them at home by turning up the TV with the noise cancelling off until I could just hear it. I then switched on the noise cancelling & it did remove the background TV noise. Not quite as effective in bush but pretty much removed the underfoot sounds of leaf litter etc. I did hear a few birds so your not totally isolated from outside noise but pretty impressed with them for earphones overall.
I've noticed a slight background noise (other than threshold) with both the WM12 speaker & using headphones. It was a lot more pronounced with the earphones but settled down until changing modes then I heard it again. Might have a audio issue with the GPZ? To top it off I noticed my screen has a black line down it now. Thought it was something under my cover to start with but it's the screen so looks like it'll be going for a trip to SA soon.
As for the earphones I will probably go back to a speaker or maybe speakers for summer & keep the earphones on me as an easy portable option if the wind picks up or I don't want to be heard &/or annoy anyone else.
Bit of a love/hate machine for me. Just when I thought I was going ok & picking up some gold on every trip the last 3 have been duffers. Think I need to do a full reset & start again?

Eski said:
hi Davent, the drivers in them ss300 look A LOT like the drivers in old telephone handsets, remember the old telstra ones?

and it looks as though they have just been hot glued in.

i have seen the the old telephone drivers put into koss ur30s...

otherwise the Senn 280pro are awesome , come with a super long and tough curly cable , and second hand can be had for $80...

Ye.p, thats what they are. The koss phones are much more comfy, reckon when the ss300, s cord sh.ts itself, ill get the drivers put into the koss phones. Tell ya what, they make a hell of a difference, not in volume, but in lifting the signal, without the background.

Hey guys thought I would show my new headphones the Minelab headphones are big and bulky and hot and you can't wear a hat when using them so I went to JB hifi this morning and bought theses Sony sports headphones and the 3.6mm adapter for the Minelab battery..I just had a quick play in my backyard to see how they work I'm really impressed great sharp sound and really light and soft on the ears .im looking forward to taking them out in the fields..cheers
1482211486_img_0878.jpg

1482211486_img_0879.jpg

I was thinking of going wireless but wasn't sure of the outcome so I went with sonys and they were a lot cheaper then the wireless ones but I'm sure that the wireless headphones would work fine will try them next time

Yes that could b a problem would hate to spend a few hundred on headphones that didn't perform as good as wired ones ..technology is pretty good these days would come down to cost in the end I think would have to do some research before buying some.

Mickybees said:
Hey guys thought I would show my new headphones the Minelab headphones are big and bulky and hot and you can't wear a hat when using them so I went to JB hifi this morning and bought theses Sony sports headphones and the 3.6mm adapter for the Minelab battery..I just had a quick play in my backyard to see how they work I'm really impressed great sharp sound and really light and soft on the ears .im looking forward to taking them out in the fields..cheers https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7404/1482211486_img_0878.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7404/1482211486_img_0879.jpg

If you don't mind me asking what is the model number and what did they set you back?
I bought a cheap pair of TDK's from Officeworks (on special) and found them quite faint on a 4500. Not used them again and glad I didn't spend much.
What model machine you running?
Cheers

Yeah the cost $60 and the model number is MDR-AS410AP I also run a 4500 .i am going to creswick tomorrow afternoon so I will give them a good run and let you know how they go ..

Dig'n-it said:
Mickybees said:
Hey guys thought I would show my new headphones the Minelab headphones are big and bulky and hot and you can't wear a hat when using them so I went to JB hifi this morning and bought theses Sony sports headphones and the 3.6mm adapter for the Minelab battery..I just had a quick play in my backyard to see how they work I'm really impressed great sharp sound and really light and soft on the ears .im looking forward to taking them out in the fields..cheers https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7404/1482211486_img_0878.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7404/1482211486_img_0879.jpg

If you don't mind me asking what is the model number and what did they set you back?
I bought a cheap pair of TDK's from Officeworks (on special) and found them quite faint on a 4500. Not used them again and glad I didn't spend much.
What model machine you running?
Cheers
Hi I took the headphones out today for a test run and noticed they where not as loud as the external speeker or the Minelab headphones like you said not sure why still useable but not what I expected so don't rush out and buy a pair I wonder if only the 4500 does this my mate has after market headphones on his 5000 and doesn't have any problem..who knows..cheers

Mickybees
Thanks for the field review and tip not to rush out and by the same.
I've scored a pair of quite expensive Senheiser ear buds the kids weren't using. I'll give them a run over the Christmas break. All the best. Dig'n-it

I think that if you turn the 3.6mm adapter into Mono the gpx battery will think it is an external speaker and amplify the signal, - if you do i would start on the lowest volume and work up to a usable volume. wouldn't want to pop those earphones.

On a sidenote, i use a pair of orange phillips sports wraparounds and they are better than any headphones, no hot ears and i can wear a wide brim hat. but not perfect...

I have a pair of Koss sportclips coming - they may be even better and address the issues i have with the phillips.

Eski said:
I think that if you turn the 3.6mm adapter into Mono the gpx battery will think it is an external speaker and amplify the signal,
I don't think a true mono plug will trip the GPX battery for increased volume. Mono plugs (TS) are generally wired tip & sleeve.
You need to wire a stereo plug (TRS) to the tip & ring only. Basically remove the sleeve wire but not sure how this affects headphone operation if at all. I've heard of people doing it to headphones but never found a need to myself. There is an explanation + diagram on page 13 of the GPX5000 manual for speakers.

Mickeybees said:
Hi I took the headphones out today for a test run and noticed they where not as loud as the external speeker or the Minelab headphones like you said not sure why still useable but not what I expected so don't rush out and buy a pair I wonder if only the 4500 does this my mate has after market headphones on his 5000 and doesn't have any problem..who knows..cheers
What ohms are they? They might be low impedance (ohms) to suit small, portable devices so lower impedance are easier to drive? If you find them really comfortable etc. you can possibly fix the low volume with a small battery powered headphone amplifier that many use on their portable devices.
Minelab say that their detectors will drive headphones between 16 to 100+ ohms. I'm using a 32ohm set of earphones at the moment that aren't as loud as my 64ohm headphones that I find great. I can still pick out the faint signals ok though & the earphones are a lot better in summer. The lower impedance no doubt contributes but so would not having the same noise attenuation as over the ear headphones.
The Koss SportsPro lightweight on ear headphones are 60ohm. They're about the highest impedance lightweights I've seen but being on ear may suffer from low noise attenuation/block out too?

Latest posts