Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxygin said:
Hi all
Thinking of buying a gpx 4500 where the best place to buy from
Should I get new or 2nd hand
From vic
There are a few good buys around. $3450 with free delivery ,free audio booster and speaker , control box cover and a training day is the best ive found looking around.
Pm me for more details .

So fellow users thinking of heading to the beach with the 4500 and the dd in iron reject mode to make it easy on the ears as the wife will be using my usual beach machine apart from changing to dd what other tips settings should I run any experienced operators i couldn't get to the goldfields this weekend as my trailer blew a tyre and rim halfway as to totally stuff that idea so to rescue the weekend I might do a day trip to the beaches

Does anyone know the best settings to use on a nugget finder sled coil,40"x20" mono,with a 4500? Any info would be appreciated.

Hi All,
May I ask what general settings folk's use to start off with
this coil. ?
Having such a big antenna on the end of the giggle stick is
proving to be a challenge to setup. :D

I am using a 15 evo on a 4500 in the GT
SWITCHS RX M ,FIXED, ENHANCED , G.

VOL LIMIT 18 ,TUNE 85 TO 105
MOTIOM SLOW, RX 9,AUDIO NORMAL, STAB 9,TONE 42, SIGNAL 18, TARGET VOL 12 ,RESPONCE NORMAL I LIKE INV,TRACKING MED,
I FIND THESE SETTING ARE GOOD I AM NOT SHORE WHAT THE MINERALIZATION IS LIKE WHERE YOU ARE BUT THEY MAY BE OK WE SET A 45 UP LAST WEEK WITH A 17X13 AND IT RAN LIKE A DREAM REGARDS JOHN :)

old hand said:
I am using a 15 evo on a 4500 in the GT
SWITCHS RX M ,FIXED, ENHANCED , G.

VOL LIMIT 18 ,TUNE 85 TO 105
MOTIOM SLOW, RX 9,AUDIO NORMAL, STAB 9,TONE 42, SIGNAL 18, TARGET VOL 12 ,RESPONCE NORMAL I LIKE INV,TRACKING MED,
I FIND THESE SETTING ARE GOOD I AM NOT SHORE WHAT THE MINERALIZATION IS LIKE WHERE YOU ARE BUT THEY MAY BE OK WE SET A 45 UP LAST WEEK WITH A 17X13 AND IT RAN LIKE A DREAM REGARDS JOHN :)

Still running like a dream John and was able to use the same settings at Jupiter Creek hitting deep targets so hopefully they work out for you Tath :)

My settings the same as john, except gain and stab. I've been on gain 7 or 8 and stab 10 to 12, hot ground here. As the ground gets wetter, I'll need to back off gain to 6, and stab to 8 or 9/ I'm using the 14x9 evo mostly, and the 15" evo spoke sometimes as well.

How can you tell if you are getting EMI ? I notice a few times my machine would get a random overload like spike in threshold . It only done it 3 or 4 times over about an hour period.

Gaz

Keep your coil completely still, if you still get beeps,squarks and squeeks, its probably emi.
Try turning your gain down, stab down, and move to a smaller coil.
If its still bad, change to dd, still bad, go have a beer.

Random spikes could be lightening. One place I go is near a mine on the highway, and cb radios screw with me at times.

GaryO said:
How can you tell if you are getting EMI ? I notice a few times my machine would get a random overload like spike in threshold . It only done it 3 or 4 times over about an hour period.

Gaz
I've ceen people wave the coil in the air round in a circle when auto tune and it accually picked up emi from a small crop dusting aircraft when it was pointed in the direction of the plane run the detector back on the ground no bad signals ex emi interference same method can be used to tune out other detector operators if you are getting interference from there machine when you auto tune hope this helps somewhat

My advice is no matter where you go set your machine up with a test nugget. Use something equivalent in size to about 0.5 grm nugget. Pea size! There is no setting suitable for all areas. You have to set the machine up to suit particular area you are in. High mineralised areas can throw your settings up the creek. So it pays to use a test nugget a few times a day to make your machine is set up to the conditions. Your threshold, set that up with a test nugget too. If you have it too loud you will miss nuggets, too soft the same, set your threshold to a tone and level that will allow you to hear small fluctuations and targets the best. Some targets will not give a clear signal and only give a faint flutter in threshold this is where setting it up is the key.

Im in need of a new power lead for my 4500, what is better the original curly ones or aftermarket straight one?

I just got a replacement for mine, I trod on a connection, and bent it bad. I went for the curly cord, as I like it short, but if I put the 45 down, it still stretches.

If your curly lead is just a damaged connection etc. try http://www.vkteksolutions.com/
He does repairs + sells other patch leads & will size them to suit.
Some people believe a straight lead can reduce interference. I've used some straight ones but only short to allow connection with the battery from a control box cover pouch & not have excess lead. I didn't notice any significant difference in operation.

Have not done it yet but intend to locate/purchase some connectors and have them on hand.
I always have a 12v soldering iron on hand for those broken coil leads at the connector. :) :)

Latest posts