GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
I heard a rumour today that Minelab will announce development (possibl 2 months) ofa smaller coil for the Zed. Not sure why, as it can already pick up fly shite, but it maybe to get into more confined spaces. Anyone else heard that rumour?

Sensitivity and depth aside, a smaller coil will (in theory) have many advantages:

1. Easier pin-pointing
2. Pick up less EMI
3. Be less affected by salty soils
4. Lighter
5. Easier to push around in thick scrub

But in the mean time we need to see what this Zed19 coil is capable of

I'm struggling enough with the standard coil walking up a gully , constantly adjusting the strap to ease off the weight pretty much done by the end of the day...
Cant see myself ever getting a 19 inch unless I lived in the flats of WA.
Would happily welcome a smaller lighter coil.

This is what is getting me excited:

1478602238_gold_nugget_sample_size_z19.jpg

Basically on 2g - 10g bits HY/Difficult with the 19" is matching HY/Normal on the 14". That is kind of telling me that every spot I haven't been able to run Normal with the 14" needs to be hunted again....as long I can expect the odd bit bigger than 2g of course.

G'Day Phase Tech,
Many thanks for the above information, hope to hit the ground running come Monday with the new 19" coil loaded onto the 7000, just a question here; are you aware of any software up-dates to go with the new coil? Just curious, may not require any.
Cheers, SinHof.

No worries. I only had a brief go with a pre-production coil, (bad flu unfortunately prevented any serious time on it), so keen to hit some old spots myself.
No software update that I'm aware of.

SinHof said:
G'Day Phase Tech,
Many thanks for the above information, hope to hit the ground running come Monday with the new 19" coil loaded onto the 7000, just a question here; are you aware of any software up-dates to go with the new coil? Just curious, may not require any.
Cheers, SinHof.
Good luck with the 19" Sinhof, let us know how you find it. Cheers

Evening Goldwright,
The balance of the new coil on the 7000 you spoke of is good news, will put a bag of rice to up the weight to that of the new coil on the 14" coil to get some idea on what to expect come Monday, my first swing with the new coil on the goldfields.
Cheers, SinHof.

First time I took out the Z19 coil I first detected around with the 14", and got a nice faint signal so decided to film some different setting combos. I then put the 19 across it.
Seeing what the target was later I wasn't surprised the 19" was giving a slightly weaker response - actually was pretty impressed it was still pinging it. Here's the video.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/0M_Q66062Ck[/video]

Question for GPZ owners.Do you guys keep your old detectors like GPX as backup or for some specific conditions or you sold them? After purchasing GPZ has been your old detector used again or never touched after?
I'm asking because I have enough money to get GPZ only if I sell my 5000. Should I keep it and save more money then buy Z??
Thanks for any thoughts

For me, the Z is superior to the Xs, gave my 5000 to my son who sold it (got me a SDC2300) and bought a Z after using my Z for a few hours. Found years ago, keeping a replaced detector was a folly, they just depreciated in value as they sat in the cupboard.

Norvic said:
For me, the Z is superior to the Xs, gave my 5000 to my son who sold it (got me a SDC2300) and bought a Z after using my Z for a few hours. Found years ago, keeping a replaced detector was a folly, they just depreciated in value as they sat in the cupboard.
exactly what I wanted to hear :D
thanks

For sale GPX5000 used since May16, all standard gear with it, external speaker + 17x13evo, 14x9evo, 20"NF mono, 20"NF DD.
To the best offer.

Wouldn't be to hasty getting rid of it Luke there are areas that the GPX will shine over the Z as no one machine does it all contrary to what some may have you believe :rolleyes: Give us a call will tell you a story about a 15 ounce nugget where a GPX 5000 and Z were involved :eek: And the winner winner chicken dinner was ? ;)

If you don't have an SDC I'd grab one as one good thing about two detectors if your away and one packs it in you still have a machine to use. A guy I met on last trip had travelled 2000K and his Z threw in the towel ................. he was a real happy camper. But at the end of the day your dollars and your call Luke
To quote a good operator below
The GPZ 7000 does not replace or take away from the SDC 2300 and GPX 5000 in the current Minelab line-up. They are both fantastic units. The GPX 5000 and its vast ecosystem of coils and other accessories remains the no-brainer best value for many people. The SDC 2300 will continue to be the hot small gold sniper it has been proven to be. A person who owns both will have much of the power of the GPZ 7000 already at their disposal.

Went back to basics recently after a frustrating dry spell nothing for ages but Buckshot and Birdshot.

Until yesterday.
The GPZ made that warble noise over a lump of quartz and i got instantly excited.
The missus and I fired up the camp stove and heated up the quartz while munching on marshmellows over the flame then dumped it in cold water(Thermal shock)

Then took to it with the hammer and found a nice little surprise inside.

Settings were

High Yield

Difficult

Sens 8

Threshold 24

Volume 10

A0QQylw.jpg

syvVdl9.jpg

ljkWLOz.jpg

36RmZXa.jpg

G'Day Luke et al,
I started my gold detecting career with a 5000 not long after they were released and finished up having an absolute ball with it, then purchased a 7000 on day one of the release and now having a ball with it, also grabbed the new 19" coil as well. So much for the history; you may wonder where this is leading, I still have the 5000 and won't be parting with it; the main reason being it has become my go-to pinpointer with the 6x8 Sadie attached. I have dug enough deep holes recovering targets with the 7000 and 14" coil to appreciate the value of the 5000 in this roll and I'm guessing and hoping it will become even more so during the 2017 season when the new 19" coil gets some swing time. It's also comforting to know I have a back-up should the 7000 turn up its toes for some reason and lastly the better half enjoys some detecting with it when we are away together.
I guess everyone's needs are different, that said,I have found the above works very well for me and a couple of my detecting mates have similar ideas, the thought of digging huge holes to be able to get enough space to swing the 14" to pinpoint deep targets is daunting to say the least; dig two, three or four in quick succession and the body soon lets you know it's time give it away for a while. Enter the 19" coil and the problem is going to take on mammoth proportions without the 5000 work around, just my logic and thoughts.
Cheers, SinHof.

The Gpz will out perform the x on a wider range (almost all) of targets. The x will out perform the z on very few targets although it does happen.
If you have the time or the patience to swing both machines over the same ground it might be worth keeping.
Personally I don't and I have had friends swing their x's over some of my patches and not once pulled a piece. However my friends gpx did out perform my Z on a .4 nugget once due to the Z struggling with emi. Thats not an excuse, just the reason, he was able to run his machine in optimal settings and I was forced to dial mine back to cope with emi.
All other targets that day the Z out performed the x even when it was dulled down.
Total of 52 nugs for me that day and my mate got 19. We both ran over the same ground after we had raked it to make sure none was missed. About 10 or so of my nuggets were found on the ground he had already detected and he didn't find any on the ground is had detected. Each target we got we ran both machines over.
Also he ran a 11 elite and an 8" commander that day.
Hope this info helps

y
SinHof said:
G'Day Luke et al,
I started my gold detecting career with a 5000 not long after they were released and finished up having an absolute ball with it, then purchased a 7000 on day one of the release and now having a ball with it, also grabbed the new 19" coil as well. So much for the history; you may wonder where this is leading, I still have the 5000 and won't be parting with it; the main reason being it has become my go-to pinpointer with the 6x8 Sadie attached. I have dug enough deep holes recovering targets with the 7000 and 14" coil to appreciate the value of the 5000 in this roll and I'm guessing and hoping it will become even more so during the 2017 season when the new 19" coil gets some swing time. It's also comforting to know I have a back-up should the 7000 turn up its toes for some reason and lastly the better half enjoys some detecting with it when we are away together.
I guess everyone's needs are different, that said,I have found the above works very well for me and a couple of my detecting mates have similar ideas, the thought of digging huge holes to be able to get enough space to swing the 14" to pinpoint deep targets is daunting to say the least; dig two, three or four in quick succession and the body soon lets you know it's time give it away for a while. Enter the 19" coil and the problem is going to take on mammoth proportions without the 5000 work around, just my logic and thoughts.
Cheers, SinHof.
..appreciate your response and understand your point of view.But for me 5000 is a bit expensive pinpointer. I might buy one back if I found it essential or get secondhand 4000 for half of the money.
thank you