Blue Hill Quarry, Vulcan State Forest Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking crystals,could somebody shed some light as to where the quarry is located in the forest? I can see what looks like a quarry on Vulcan forest rd,just off the Abercrombie rd.Is a permit to required to fossick in there?

TheFossickingKid said:
These are some of them. I'll post more of them tomorrow when I have better light. Not as good as the one on Instagram ;)

Awesome, You did well, they are real nice specimens, did you clean/polish the 1st one, it has a very nice shine.

If I can pick anything close to their quality I'd be totally satisfied :D

Eldorado said:
Nice looking crystals,could somebody shed some light as to where the quarry is located in the forest? I can see what looks like a quarry on Vulcan forest rd,just off the Abercrombie rd.Is a permit to required to fossick in there?

Evening Eldorado,

You need a forestry Corp permit, not within a public fossicking area.

Sending you a pm

TheFossickingKid said:
If your in the Forrest behind the quarry what do you look for to find the crystals?

I think there are 4 quartz veins you can see when looking from inside the quarry, follow the line of those into the trees & dig down till you hit one.

I was there Sunday and even though the value of smoky quarts is no where near sapphire etc it is very satisfying to get some larger pieces compared to the useless "chips" of sapphire I've found. We didn't find any of those Cuban cigar :lol: sized deep coloured smokys that guy on instargram seems to find.

I'll be back there sometime soon for sure.

Yea alright I might try digging down till I get to the vein and hopefully I'll get some crystals :). That guy on Instagram gets some pretty good ones from there and I think he digs in the Forrest somewhere so next time we are there I think we will have a try somewhere in the Forrest :) any pics of the crystals you got from there?

I'm giving my crystals a bit of a soak to wash so if any nice ones I'll post some pics.
We were digging in the forest and were pretty happy because it's shaded and cool :)

Another thought that I had, do you think it all get a bit mashed up in the tree planting process and are crystals scattered about away from the vein? Would be nice to hear thoughts from someone who has had a few digs there :)

I'm just getting into gem cutting so I'm pretty happy if I find small 5-20 carat clean smokies there because they are good for cutting, love some big specimens along the way :D

Oh ok that's alright I just get a toothbrush and warm water to clean my crystals and it seems to work well.

I haven't had a dig in the Forrest before so I wouldn't know if it would get mashed up cause we normally dig up the top of the quarry till we find the vein. :)

Yep, good idea the toothbrush, soaked mine in a toxic mix and it's a painful process and wastes tons of water to clean up :rolleyes:

Your big crystal finds are much much better than mine, I am happy, got a few marble sized clean/gemmy deep smoky coloured pieces to facet :)

I am after info on Blue Hills Quarry in the Vulcan State Forest.

1. Is it open and do you need permission.

New to fossicking and this could be a good area to start, I will be doing Saffire Bend at Black Springs as well.

thanks norm

its hard going at blue hill the crevices are too deep and you have to work too hard for little reward I would try your luck at sapphire bend under the pine trees it's heaps cooler and once you start finding the blue you will be rather happy. Good luck

1479120129_image.jpg

The quary is the white square in the bush

BIGRED said:
its hard going at blue hill the crevices are too deep and you have to work too hard for little reward I would try your luck at sapphire bend under the pine trees it's heaps cooler and once you start finding the blue you will be rather happy. Good luck

I heard sapphire bend awhile but cant locate with that. Is that somewhere near BH? thanks

Little Eldorado and myself took a drive out to Blue Hills quarry today to have a scratch.After missing the turn off we finally found the quarry and headed up the slope and started scratching away.Found this little beauty within 20 minutes but couldn't find anything that wasn't broken in the next 2 hours.Even tried up the top but no luck.It was a lovely day in the bush and had a great time together.Called into Porters Retreat on the way home for a bit of a look around. Sieved a bit of gravel for half hour with no result.
1497262071_img_0300.jpg

1504431326_image.jpg

1504431327_image.jpg
Hi guys I'm pretty new to this but found a couple nice ones at blue hills today was wondering if the black quarts is a common thing in the pockets at blue hills can you clean the black layer off of is that the colour of that particular crystal?(obviously not talking about the smokey fragment ;) )

Latest posts