Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Rihno rt you need to ask Phase Tech a few questions his opinion is they are the best of the SD series, as he stated in another post earlier today (Gold Detecting show & tell, post title SD 200- worth $600.00 from memory) anyway check it out. Get your posts up (10 I think, rules will know) and then you could email or private message him. Apart from that I'm sure there are plenty of others here who will offer suggestions, good luck.

Hi to all I've got an option to purchase a sd2100 and given the age of them now I'm in 2 minds the cost is $1000 and comes with 4 coils:
Minelab SD2100 super detector with two 18 inch elipticle coils one mono and one dd, one standard 18 inch mono coil, one 8 inch mono coil, rechargable lithium battery and charger, backpack battery bag and owners manual (see pic)

1475206467_ad_1475154677687.jpg

My dilemma is to purchase or not...do they have any issue i should be aware of?

Cheers on advance

I can't help you regarding issues etc. but it seems like a sweet deal to me mate. Have you tried searching sdc2100 on the forum? I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for in previous posts.

Good luck!

I just tried a search with the sdc2100 however there is only this post an 1 other (WANTED SDC 2300 ) I have done a search for sd2100 and there is a lot of chat but I'm looking for the most upto date opinions that are out there. Some say they are getting a bit long in the tooth now and that coils breakdown over time (I'm not that tech savvy with coils) hence I'm wanting some knowledge.

Thanks Jaros & Lordo

I looks like its gunna have :) I'll have to search for a some good tuitional vids to get up to speed. Please let me know if you know of any.

Cheers

Spyhunter,
The 2100 is with out doubt a great machine.
There is channel 1 & 2, someone may recall the exact details if the ground is very mineralised you can switch to either ch1 or 2 to quieten it down.
The 18" green mono in your pic is the only coil I ever used after mastering the tuning and ground balance method in post#2

Good luck

Thanks Nightjar

Do you think that coil will be the obesity to use on mineralized ground? And the 8" for narrow gullies and breakaways?

Cheers
Gavin

Ok gents the unit is now in my hands and looks like a very good unit ... It has the 18" green mono and the smaller white coil plus the other two are both 24 x 12 (600 x 300mm) coils (the coiltek 600 x 300mm DD Pro is new and never used) it has a Reeds amplified battery (just need to see if I can get a car charger or an inverter to charge while camping away)

Phase Tech has mentioned the 17x11" Pro and apart from the weight would this differ from the 600 x 300 mm DD pro?

The 600*300 wouldn't be as sensitive to smaller bits as the 17*11, but will go deeper on the larger bits.

Thanks Nuggetbuster

That's what I was thinking so I'll look at selling the 600*300 DD Pro (has never been used) as the unit came with a 600*300 modified coil and see if I can get a 17*11 then that should give me the full arsenal..maybe we live in hope

Just an update

I'm happy with the purchase however it turns out that the battery in the Reeds Lucky Lark is very much dead.

My question is given the technology of today and the expensive cost of a new lucky lark battery can anyone assist with an alternative?

I'd like to try an adapt a Flourion 2S2P 8000mAH 7.4V 40C LiPo battery and just cut the wires (from original battery) and make a connector that I can then just change over to the above battery.

I'd appreciate any feedback or pointed in the right direction.

P.S. being new here I would have put this in another forum if i knew where to look.

TIA

I'm looking to get a new coil for my sd2100 so I'm looking for feed back on preferences. Most of the ground will be heavily mineralized.

Also have a Coiltek 600 x300 DD Pro (never used) for sale and open to offers.

Cheers

Really bad ground I'd go the Detech SEF 15x12" DD.

If you want a bit more sensitivity and don't mind the 1.3kg weight, then the 15" DD Ultimate would be the go. Best DD coil available imho - it's the only spiral/flat wound DD.

Latest posts