Kangaroo Valley specimens ( agates,jaspers and pet wood)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before I post some of my specimens let me be clear who you are dealing with here
1479088198_img_0099-optimized.jpg

The other member of my august committee Otto, he doesn't disagree with anything much, never picks up discredited terms, even allows colour to be spelt with the u. As I haven't kept up with the latest technology apparently please forgive the focus in some photos I put it down to climate change ;) .
An agate from the valley crystal centre.
1479087774_img_0090-optimized.jpg

This one appears to be squashed during formation
1479088002_img_0084-optimized.jpg

1479086840_img_0062-optimized.jpg

Alas the colour is not uniform, nice crystal centre.
1479086980_img_0095-optimized.jpg

Paler the iron colouring has not followed any agate pattern. Note a fine crack where I used to tap rocks together :( to judge there texture definitely a discredited practice with agates.
Before you hop in the car note these were collected when I was a teenager as the area has been well fossicked since. The agates seem to be associated (spatially) ;) with the Camberrawarra flows some 400ft of lava flows, sills, dykes tuffs and volcanic breccias. Ah metric I know :( .I have jaspers and pet wood to go in another post.

Jaspers found below a cliff where a band metres wide appears to be bedded in between lava flows. The jasper here has a waxy texture which gives a good polish.
1479090635_img_0074-optimized.jpg

1479090665_img_0072-optimized.jpg

A volcanic breccia found here appears to have angular pieces of the jasper bedded in it.
1479090772_img_0082-optimized.jpg

Some very nice material there Ted, particularly that agate - three of the four photos in your first post look like Agate creek material!!

I like that jasper as well, I found a piece at Riverslea with the identical colour scheme.....but never anything like those agates, they are beautiful.

What kind of volcanics were they at Kangaroo valley? Going on the map Goldirocks posted, the Riverslea deposit consists of trachyte, rhyolite and some other magma type I can't recall.

Thank you so much for posting those photos. The agates i have found from the Valley so far do not come close to yours, but gives me hope i may still stub my toe on something nice ;)

There are still some nice bits of jasper to be found, but as with the agates the best time to hunt seems after a flood and even then it seems to be patchy.

After seeing your piece of volcanic breccia, i am now questioning what i thought was altered sandstone and conglomerate i have found...

The Cambewarra flow is called a porphritic latite however with the depth of the flow there is considerable variation. This is oldish late Permian 200my but there is several post Triassic intrusions lamprophyre, which have come through the older volcanics 17-24 million years ago, and its one of those I associate with much of the silica mineralisation here.
The specimens following have been found as a distinctive volcanic plug is approached along one arm of Kangaroo Valley.
1479093322_img_0101-optimized.jpg

10k from the plug above and below showing bark,growth rings, worm holes and decayed core.
1479093470_img_0098.jpg

These following two have been found about5k from the plug.
1479093587_img_0066-optimized.jpg
1479093624_img_0067-optimized.jpg

This is a collection close to the plug with one on the left from the 10k spot for comparison
1479093813_img_0078-optimized.jpg

1479094932_img_0079-optimized.jpg

Opps that posted before it was supposed too, the locality of the finds proves nothing so can only hope there is nothing to argue about, whether it was hot, cold or just right :)

The agates were always a bit rare but the secret was they were downstream of the township of Cambewarra in the creek running through the town now reclaimed, built on etc.The opposite side of the mountain to the Valley. There used to be extensive gravel beds there alas no more.

Are they Mount Hay eggs Ted? I like them but I have't seen any quite like them from the area (not that I've collected any myself - I was only very young when we used to go there. I still have about a third or a quarter of a drum of un-sawn small ones that grandad found).

Well there you go - very different to any I have seen from there. I'll have to get some piccies together.

Another reminder of how complex things can be and how we can see surprising variation over short distances :)

Latest posts