south east melbourne gold rush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
gday guys.
was hoping that someone here might have some maps of the "berwick goldfields" and the "emerald goldfields"
iv found a little information on them, but no maps as such.
Cheers guys

roadkill said:
gday guys.
was hoping that someone here might have some maps of the "berwick goldfields" and the "emerald goldfields"
iv found a little information on them, but no maps as such.
Cheers guys

See my posts on exactly those areas

The Berwick goldfield is not near Berwick of course - it is Beaconsfield North and upper Cardinia Creek. Same as the Emerald goldfield was not Emerald, the Gembrook goldfield was Cockatoo etc (later those two were distinguished). I hope to have my book out in about a year, discussing also the geology, the different types of gold deposits and their ages, how the miners opened the tracks etc (Hughes track through Warburton, the alternative Upper Yarra track, Bowmans Track etc - the last opened up the tinfields and gemfields between Gebmbrook and the Franklin River - and other things to make the story more interesting.

Goldierocks, i have found the sites of the berwick and emerald fields, Berwick is technicly upper beac/officer, where the resevoir is today, even tho some shafts are still visible just south of the resevoir fencing, and the emerald fields are more towards monbulk, i havnt done much exploring of either sites, but i do have a rough idea of where they are located.

Sorry goldie, i cant find the posts you are referring to mate.

I can't find them either! Said how I was writing a book on the Dandenong and Mornington Peninsula goldfields, with maps.

There was some mining between Upper Beaconsfield (where nearly everything is closed in the catchment south of town) and Berwick, west of Cardinia Creek. This was the initial discovery.