Old Mine owners Nuggety gully

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to do a follow up trip to the area as I may have found an alternative track, still a bit of walking though. The documents that I have require decripting, as the script throughout is difficult to read but on the first page there is obviously some anger in the writing style, the letter sent back by my grandfather is easily readable so it isn't my ability to read script that is the problem. The letter also details some surface assays that have been carried out by the owner and I wish to assess these areas proir to having the letter on public display. Ken.

Wayno37 said:

Mrs M and I dropped in here about a year ago. The SDC refused to work at all in the gully below the old townsite. It was all basalt setting off the SDC every few feet. The old minesites are just beyond the townsite but a sign on the access track makes it clear that anybody passing this point is risking life and limb. We didn't know anything about the Qld rules and mining regulations so we turned back.

Hi ken ken2m I'm new to this this so bear with me I was hopping exchanged in formation on the golden ridge mine it had the same legal manager as one I'm looking for on next spur a cross from it I have the hand drawn work plans for the golden ridge mine it shows alluvial working on one side of the mine the mine it self had a interested past right up until mid 1930 where 2 men hide from a robbery that that committed in Melbourne any way did your grandfather work in wa gold field as a mine manager

He was a manager in WA in 1899 and was in WA until 1911 not sure in what role, and then back again in Aug 1918 as a mining partner. I have numerous records of him being in the Coolgardie area including one crushing of 23 tons of quartz for over 403 oz from the Niagara GM company's mine. Ken.

Thanks ken yep that him I was wondering if you had any information on the dargo high plains I'm try to track the history of couple mines on the next spur across from from the golden ridge mine any help would a grate help thanks

You could try trove, that is where I have got most of the info that I have from.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/
a wealth of info for sure, try old newspapers and just search with as many search terms that you are sure of but no more than 3 -4 and try swapping a word for another term you are looking for. Ken.

Thanks ken been and done trove and public records and mine department records I was hopping your grandfather may have a journal or something I do a have a copy of the work plan of the golden ridge work plan from 1930 it's very hard to get information on dargo field as most of the high plains mining companies where London based and did have to report on there movements the state library has a vast amount of information but the have no funding so it's sitting in storage

No journal that I know of. I will have to get over to my cousins house as he may have more info but it will have to wait until my wife is feeling better than she is at the moment. Ken.

Latest posts