Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, what area will you be doing your detecting in?

For that budget a used GP extreme would be the go for hot ground (which most goldfields are). Trouble is buying used can be risky especially if you don't know what your are looking at, and how to diagnose any faults. Always safer buying from a detector retailer as you get some sort of warranty, and it's in the dealers best interest not to sell you a dud.

Hi Dave,
Unless you want to restrict yourself to relics/beaches you would be better staying away from the 705 ... I have and use one but in reality it won't cut it in most goldfields. A nice entry level detector but not for serious gold.

2nd hand GP units will be within your current budget but consider hiring as an alternative and try to get some extra cash for a SDC or 2nd hand GPX, especially if going out infrequently ... will give you and indication of what's involved and whether you really want to 'stick with it'. Many like the idea of a quick detect and finding regular gold .... the reality is somewhat different.

Good luck whichever way you go and keep us posted on your adventures .... and keep those kids involved, great activity for them.

Cheers T.

old hand said:
A green sd 2200 $1000 to $1400 I have seen gp extreme for $1300 look on some of the face book detector sights.
The Deus a friend has one but he only uses it for relic hunting and hid ML for nugget hunting
If I had the choice off a sd2200 and a deus looking for gold then then the deus would be gathering dust ,I would use the sd2200
the best advice just save a bit more and look at gum tree face book ebay regards john :)

I'm still yet to find any at those prices mate.

I've been looking on gumtree and most of the ones I find are around $1700.00 same as the search I do on eBay.

PhaseTech said:
Dave, what area will you be doing your detecting in?

For that budget a used GP extreme would be the go for hot ground (which most goldfields are). Trouble is buying used can be risky especially if you don't know what your are looking at, and how to diagnose any faults. Always safer buying from a detector retailer as you get some sort of warranty, and it's in the dealers best interest not to sell you a dud.

I live 3 hours north of Adelaide and plan to do the odd hunt out here but will use the 2 little bounty hunters for that lol

Planning to head out West in the new year mate which is why I need a better machine than the little bounty hunters :p a cheap $60.00 machine simply wont cut it out west lol
Been researching maps even though I don't 100% understand them. I do have a few rough areas to look at but am still purely researching atm.

I will be honest and say that I am somewhat concerned about buying second hand as with most of my experiences and just my rule of thumb, 2nd Hand = taking someone else problem. As well as that, I couldn't tell a fake from a genuine brand name yet. :p

Teemore said:
Hi Dave,
Unless you want to restrict yourself to relics/beaches you would be better staying away from the 705 ... I have and use one but in reality it won't cut it in most goldfields. A nice entry level detector but not for serious gold.

2nd hand GP units will be within your current budget but consider hiring as an alternative and try to get some extra cash for a SDC or 2nd hand GPX, especially if going out infrequently ... will give you and indication of what's involved and whether you really want to 'stick with it'. Many like the idea of a quick detect and finding regular gold .... the reality is somewhat different.

Good luck whichever way you go and keep us posted on your adventures .... and keep those kids involved, great activity for them.

Cheers T.

Cheers for your input T,
since putting this post up I have really learned a lot just in the past few days.
I will be purchasing a PI machine and staying away from VLF at this point. Naturally in the future I might purchase a VLF machine like the 705 or something better just for doing my more localised hunts. I plan to keep my PI machine as a purpose machine purely for my western trips which will become more frequent as I learn more.

I'm kinda learning towards a Brand New machine simply since I don't really trust 2nd hand.

As much as I love the MLs range, I'm leaning towards a Whites TDI SL which I can pick up for around $1500.00 from Kellyco and that price also includes a couple little gifts + postage.

Would that perhaps be a viable option??

I appreciate ALL the help and support from all you guys so far, very much appreciated :D

Dragn6 said:
I'm kinda learning towards a Brand New machine simply since I don't really trust 2nd hand.
As much as I love the MLs range, I'm leaning towards a Whites TDI SL which I can pick up for around $1500.00 from Kellyco and that price also includes a couple little gifts + postage.
Would that perhaps be a viable option??

No, it would not, unless you enjoy wandering around swinging a detector that's difficult to resell and probably wasting your time. Based on numerous forum posts here and elsewhere, none of the Whites PI range have proven particularly successful in Oz and the same goes for the Garrett ATX. Get the right tool for the job by spending your money and your time wisely with a proven Minelab.

Mate when I 1st got the bug , I bought a whites mxt, then added a TDI pro oz, all up I spent about $2800 on those to machines, 4 months later, I sold the mxt and tried to sell the TDI, and I got a 2nd hand GPX 4500, still new, with a pick , a leather cover and 2 coils for the same cost. Should have done that in the 1st place! TDI took me 3 months to sell and I lost $300 on what I paid for it, good ridence to, because I did about 10 trips with it for zip....found gold almost straight away with the gpx in the same areas.

I went the same path with the Whites MXT Pro and TDI SL 2 years ago thinking I couldn't justify a ML PI and ended up disheartened with detecting at the end of last year so sold them both at a loss, I've got the bug again so decided to start saving for a good s/hand GP3000/3500 instead of wasting time trying to do the job with other brands that don't have the runs on the board in Aussie conditions, the ML users are the majority of people finding the gold, hard to argue with that.
My Makro GR is to compliment the ML for certain situations.

Just a word of advice , if you go (hopefully) Minelab make sure you dont purchase a modded one. Some mods are great but others create problems and are to difficult to reverse . Also if repairs are needed Minelab would refuse to work on a modified unit.

I just sold a sd2200d for 1400 with 3 coils and extras , so keep an eye out and be patient as there are some good ones for sale. Ive been lucky to have bought 2nd hand from older people in the hobby who i have retired due to age and ive found them to be very genuine and also sell their gear as a complete package ..coils, picks , maps and all sorts of things.

Gaz

Nightjar said:
Dragn

Check this one out.

ebay.com.au/itm/222305201462

Saw this last night mate and IF I had the $$ right now then I'd be jumping on it right now hehe

See how things go in the next month or so

Pretty sure I'm set on finding a good 2nd hand 4500 now.

I know the 3000 and 3500 are capable machines but I'm just fussy and for the extra 1k then I think it would be the much better option. Just hopefully 1 for a good price in the next month or so lol

There are a lot of new 4500's being bought through dealers for great prices at the moment and id expect a lot being bought by people new to the hobby . As such im sure a percentage will quickly decide this isnt the hobby for them and look to sell almost new machines " with warranty " . Maybe after xmas when people have tried them on their holiday and also blown the budget might be a good time to see what comes on the market.

GaryO said:
There are a lot of new 4500's being bought through dealers for great prices at the moment and id expect a lot being bought by people new to the hobby . As such im sure a percentage will quickly decide this isnt the hobby for them and look to sell almost new machines " with warranty " . Maybe after xmas when people have tried them on their holiday and also blown the budget might be a good time to see what comes on the market.

So true mate and that what I was thinking.

I'm not the type of guy that starts a hobby and then walks away from it. I have been around prospectors in the past and totally love being amongst it.
I have also been researching detectors/maps etc for about a year now and have put much thought into my plans.
I am also lucky to have recently come into some information regarding gold closer to my home location so once I have my new machine, I will scout these locations and use them as a basis to learn to use my new machine.

With any luck I'll find a little gold out here and then that can fund my trip to WA :p

old hand said:
just save save and do not rush one will come up it may take a few weeks regards john :)

Exactly right John :)

Last thing I wanna do is rush and make a big mistake. The aim of my post was purely to get advice and recommendations on the correct machine for my needs.

Since my post started, I have been able to rule out VLF machines to start with, I have ruled out other brands [even though a few look really temping lol] and I have come full circle to what I originally thought and wanted to start with.
When I first started looking at a new machine, EVERYTHING told me to go for the 4500 but my budget was a little short and brand new is close to 4k. BUT since looking at Gumtree and eBay, I found that they can be got cheaper.

At this moment in time, I'm gonna hold hard until after Xmas, TRY to get my little car sold which will add to my current budget and then try to score a deal when I have ALL the funds together.

I AM pretty much 100% about trying to get the 4500 though :)

You will not go wrong with a 4500 I use a new 4500 I purchase last year and its a great detector, just try and get one of the new batch 4500 that was released over the last few years . Just keep looking and one will turn up regards john :)

try one of the many suppliers selling new gear and see if they have any trade-ins for sale. You could negotiate a great deal mate

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Roxby Downs in the middle of South Australia. I am interested in getting a entry level detector around 700 - 1000$ for gold prospecting as well as the odd coin/ Jewellery hunt on trips to Adelaide and around the country. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on a good detector to try? I know it's a very general question with many variables but am just after some opinions from people who are in the know so I can get the best possible start.

Any info will be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Latest posts