Underground Mines - Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do read the Safety and Survival section on this type of activity under Outdoor and Recreation - I have seen a lot of people die and you need to take all factors into consideration so as not to join them.

People totally underestimate gas - which is NOT confined to coal mines but common in our old gold mines.

ELAND

The bodies of 76 illegal miners were found in the shafts of a disused gold mine over the past week. The Eland shaft, owned by Harmony Gold, has been out of use for years - closed down for being too dangerous and unprofitable. Some of the miners had died in a fire that broke out on 18 May. Others had suffocated because of dangerous gasses seeping out of the rocks underground, authorities said.

LANGLAAGTE

1478501027_trapped.jpg

A mate got the contract to pull bodies of drowned miners out of the tanzanite mines - he found 42. Someone I kniow had a bunch of many students drown in Tasmania (a cave - usually less dangerous but same principle). Deaths occur even in Victorian tunnels (eg two in an adit at Eildon) - a mate nearly suffocated in central Victoria three years back and may have trouble working again, another mate suffocated at the bottom of a shallow shaft in Laverton WA......

Gday Goldierocks,
It's really good of you to alert forum members of the many dangers in underground mine exploration.
But I thought I would let you know about Dean65 and the guys who go underground with him.
Dean is well practiced in this activity and uses a gas metre, also one of the team that goes with him is a very experienced miner who has been working underground in the Ballarat gold mine at Mt Clear.
He is very knowledgeable in every aspect of mine safety and always explains where and why there is a hazard.
For any other members of the forum who may be tempted to participate in this activity, BEWARE!!!
What may seem a benign or harmless mine maybe your last place on earth.
I have been going underground for nigh on 40 years and I never have or will take the dangers for granted.
Don't be tempted to go underground unless you go with someone who is knowledgeable and safety is there mantra.
Cheers Steve

Gem in I said:
only recently I have taken up beeping for gold but have cracked open an explorer inside and these photos seem like you are passing through a giant gemstone.
I agree with and understand the disclaimer. I have a couple of noob questions. No I have many but a couple are,
in your 4th photo dean 65 did you explore that hidden room/tunnel behind the guy in pic.or have I played too many video games.
Second why all the dirt on the ground I mean I get the gravity conspiracy but with no erosion/weather type elements I would of thought the guys hooved the ground with the work involved for their creations and made their repeat travels easier?
Third do you sort of guys see yourselves as adventure's, explorer's or adrenalin type people. Sorry not trying to be to personal just in awe.

The flow of air over the last 150 years has caused most of the dust on the ground.

goldierocks said:
People totally underestimate gas - which is NOT confined to coal mines but common in our old gold mines.

ELAND

The bodies of 76 illegal miners were found in the shafts of a disused gold mine over the past week. The Eland shaft, owned by Harmony Gold, has been out of use for years - closed down for being too dangerous and unprofitable. Some of the miners had died in a fire that broke out on 18 May. Others had suffocated because of dangerous gasses seeping out of the rocks underground, authorities said.

LANGLAAGTE

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1478501027_trapped.jpg

A mate got the contract to pull bodies of drowned miners out of the tanzanite mines - he found 42. Someone I kniow had a bunch of many students drown in Tasmania (a cave - usually less dangerous but same principle). Deaths occur even in Victorian tunnels (eg two in an adit at Eildon) - a mate nearly suffocated in central Victoria three years back and may have trouble working again, another mate suffocated at the bottom of a shallow shaft in Laverton WA......

We carry gas detectors when exploring mines. If the workings appear to be unsafe we do not enter. Sometimes my photos are taken from the mine portal looking inwards or I may be some distance from the unsafe feature. Thanks for your comments.

ben2363 said:
Nice work Dean65. any chance on locations or names on the mines.

We have been asked not to reveal the exact location of this mine.

At Tarnagulla we explored a large stope that contained a deep 100 metres shaft and found three lower levels. This shaft was commenced in the 1860s, and re-opened and deepened to 280 feet in 1898. Stopes are difficult to light and photograph well due to their size and unusual shape.

Must be rare to find most of the stulls still in place like that. :) :)
We have a stope over here near Bega that is close to 1000 feet deep,
About 200 feet across.
I won't reveal where it is exactly as it is bloody dangerous to go near it.
There is a Audit into the hill about half way down it and there is nothing
under where you stand on the outside looking in.
I love the timber work from that bygone era. :) :)

I can see the reward from exploring these old mines but I am stunned by the amount of work the old timers did to get to the reefs...

Why did so many of them get so far and then stop?

Haa haaa,
Good to see your still get the around Dean,
I'm sorry we didn't catch up this year but life has gone at such a furious pace.
Maybe next year we can catch up.
Cheers Steve
Ps: great photos as always. :D

bytraper said:
I can see the reward from exploring these old mines but I am stunned by the amount of work the old timers did to get to the reefs...

Why did so many of them get so far and then stop?

The quartz reef stopped and there was no more gold to be found.

stoyve said:
Haa haaa,
Good to see your still get the around Dean,
I'm sorry we didn't catch up this year but life has gone at such a furious pace.
Maybe next year we can catch up.
Cheers Steve
Ps: great photos as always. :D

Was only thinking of you the other day Steve because I found a large mine down at Enfield that may be of interest . Good to hear from you again.

Nice adit there hty, also a great video in my backyard ;)
Thanks for sharing mate.
Cheers Steve :D

Latest posts