Underground Mines - Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Safety disclaimer: Exploring abandoned mineshafts is an extremely dangerous hobby, Prospecting Australia and any associated administrators and moderators will not be held responsible for any accidents, injury or deaths occuring due to people exploring abandoned mines. We do not recommend anyone to attempt such activities even if they do have relevant qualifications in abseiling, cave exploration and confined spaces.

These photos are from some of the abandoned underground mines near Ballarat.

I LOVE looking through old mines. When I was a kid my father and I explored some magnificent mines in South Australia. Jupiter Creek was a good spot but I think the council has been meddling with the area. It was about 25 years ago though when people took responsibility for their own actions. I remember an adit with a shaft at one end. We used a home made rope ladder to climb in and walked out the other side. There was another shaft nearby that we explored which had several levels.

Another mine was on the way to Arkaroola. The whole family explored that one as far as the water table. There were huge cavernous areas and lots of quartz crystals in the mullock heaps.

I like the caves on the Fleurieu Peninsula too. A big one at Rapid Bay and sea caves at Second Valley. I must get back and explore the coastline further with a kayak.

So far I have only found the adit at Belltopper Hill. I can't wait to find more to explore once I have some training in ropes and abseiling.

Thanks for sharing dean65.

Has anyone had a look at the golden stream (yes lol) mine on the main road of avoca?
I've wondered about it forever. From the size of the mullock it must have bee huge.

The amount of work that has gone into digging those mines staggers the imagination. Hard to think that all that rock was mostly dug out by hand. They sure bred 'em tough in those days.

Mike70.

Mike70 said:
The amount of work that has gone into digging those mines staggers the imagination. Hard to think that all that rock was mostly dug out by hand. They sure bred 'em tough in those days.

Mike70.

moved by hand yes but drilled and blasted after the 1850s with weak explosives then high explosives came into affect in the late 1860s to 70s

This mine near Ballarat is not well known. The main drive is 600 metres long with a number of side tunnels. Half way down the mine drive you will find a winze with a home made wooden bridge. This adit is now called the New Bridge of Death Mine.

When working for Alcoa Alumina and being a Fire & Rescue Captain the company sent me to Southern Mines Rescue facility in NSW for further training.
Was only 5 years after the Appin Mine disaster and during the course we were shown graphic photos of those who perished.
Very confronting seeing a miner sitting at a table in a lunch room, part of a sandwich still in his mouth, not a sign of injury but tragically dead.
Methane burns at the speed of light taking all oxygen with it, so fortunately these unfortunates never knew what happened.

http://www.mineaccidents.com.au/mine-accident/68/appin-colliery-1979

only recently I have taken up beeping for gold but have cracked open an explorer inside and these photos seem like you are passing through a giant gemstone.
I agree with and understand the disclaimer. I have a couple of noob questions. No I have many but a couple are,
in your 4th photo dean 65 did you explore that hidden room/tunnel behind the guy in pic.or have I played too many video games.
Second why all the dirt on the ground I mean I get the gravity conspiracy but with no erosion/weather type elements I would of thought the guys hooved the ground with the work involved for their creations and made their repeat travels easier?
Third do you sort of guys see yourselves as adventure's, explorer's or adrenalin type people. Sorry not trying to be to personal just in awe.

Nightjar said:
When working for Alcoa Alumina and being a Fire & Rescue Captain the company sent me to Southern Mines Rescue facility in NSW for further training.
Was only 5 years after the Appin Mine disaster and during the course we were shown graphic photos of those who perished.
Very confronting seeing a miner sitting at a table in a lunch room, part of a sandwich still in his mouth, not a sign of injury but tragically dead.
Methane burns at the speed of light taking all oxygen with it, so fortunately these unfortunates never knew what happened.

That's why we go equiped with gas metres. Most of the time the air is fine in these old mines.

Gem in I said:
only recently I have taken up beeping for gold but have cracked open an explorer inside and these photos seem like you are passing through a giant gemstone.
I agree with and understand the disclaimer. I have a couple of noob questions. No I have many but a couple are,
in your 4th photo dean 65 did you explore that hidden room/tunnel behind the guy in pic.or have I played too many video games.
Second why all the dirt on the ground I mean I get the gravity conspiracy but with no erosion/weather type elements I would of thought the guys hooved the ground with the work involved for their creations and made their repeat travels easier?
Third do you sort of guys see yourselves as adventure's, explorer's or adrenalin type people. Sorry not trying to be to personal just in awe.

Hi, we did explore the tunnel behind the guy in the 4th pic. The dirt on the ground has been caused by the movement of air in and out of the mine over the last 150 years. Its essentially a build up of dust. "Mine exploration is a hobby in which people visit abandoned mines. Enthusiasts usually engage in such activities for the purpose of exploration and documentation. In many ways, however, it is closer to caving, with many participants actively interested in exploring both mines and caves." Hope this answers your questions.

Nightjar said:

Thanks for your article. Underground coal workings tend to be far more dangerous than gold mines. However, we are very safety minded and sometimes do not enter a mine if we are not happy with the conditions.

After a number of unsuccessful attempts to enter underground mines at Clunes we had a major discovery of a multi-level working two weeks ago that contained a winze allowing access to lower drives.