Grabben Gullen

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, spent the day out at Grabben Gullen in the public fossicking area.

I spotted 2 Brown Snakes and a Red Belly without trying too hard. Lots of snakes active at the moment. One of the Browns was curled up in the grass just on the side of the little path down to the creek.

Please keep an eye out and be careful.

Cheers

Pete

Yep, snakes are well and truly on the move now across most of the country. As hot as it is, sturdy boots and long pants are a good idea.

While they don't sound like much, long pants that are a bit baggy around the legs could be helpful. Australian snakes are some of the most venomous in the world but their fangs are quite short - there's at least some chance that they'll end up biting loose material. If you're wearing shorts then naturally they'll always bite the skin.

Note that I never want to actually test this theory :eek: but I reckon some chance is better than none.

They love the creeks i think the sudden growth of grass in the last 3 weeks has pushed them in any area that is bare , moving big flat rocks would be like playing roulette i would think twice about putting fingers in crevices.
They are good for the heart , the shot of adrenaline when you stumble on one , then after that every wobbly stick or lizard looks like one :lol:
As said before be careful, dont panic and be smart by not leaving your belongings on the ground where possible.

Yeah GG is full of snakes, I've never seen so many in one spot. I even saw a large red belly go into a yabby hole there once searching from frogs...... Anyone digging into the creek bank there will one day get a nasty surprise I'm sure. Another good reason not to dig into the banks.....

When we took the children to paradise falls a couple of weeks ago my youngest nearly stepped on a baby red belly as she walked around a boulder to get closer to the bottom of the falls, the fear she had was intense me personally I was worried about where its mum or dad was :eek: but to be honest I think it may of been washed over the edge of the falls.. Defiantly a wake up call for my wife and I and chose to retreat to higher ground... :( Its a long way sometimes to get back to where you can get help so I also would suggest that everyone keep a close eye out while your Miles from nowhere... :eek: very scary :|

Latest posts