GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the shaft made of carbon fibre? I thought it would be stronger than that. Better a broken shaft than a stuffed coil or contol box though I guess.

Hi Syndyne,

Just by placing into difficult ground mode gets rid of 99% of the hot rocks where I go. Although in mild ground I still try to run it in Normal.

Just spent 2 days around north of Bendigo where I generally had to keep it in difficult or was stopping every couple of metres for hot rocks. Still feel that the Zed is going to find gold if it is there due to finding 106 bits of various metal and 58 bits of lead - shot pellets, slug gun pellets, .22 and larger projectiles. Pretty confident I can tell the difference between lead and gold now but still don't want to walk off on a piece of yellow :/ And yes, I did count them - wondered how many holes I'd dug.

It makes me wonder if the old blokes spent more time chasing gold or shooting at stuff!!

Northeast wrote; It makes me wonder if the old blokes spent more time chasing gold or shooting at stuff!!

A large percentage of the lead we pick up while detecting comes from what the old timers called the "evening thunder"by all accounts this was a regular event around sun down where the old miners would discharge their firearms into the air. Apparently this was done for two reasons, one, to make sure their black powder was dry and secondly and probably more important to let any would be robbers know that they were armed.
A bit of interesting history.
SinHof.

I heard a rumour today that Minelab will announce development (possibl 2 months) ofa smaller coil for the Zed. Not sure why, as it can already pick up fly shit, but it maybe to get into more confined spaces. Anyone else heard that rumour?

That's been the mail since day one. A bigger & smaller coil was always supposed to happen. I think the 19" took longer than expected so it's pushed the small coil back.
The only advantage for me would be the manoeuvrability - I'm over birdshot & collect plenty with the 14". Not quite SDC amounts but not far off. A small coil on the Zed may just drive me completely nuts.

Heatho said:
Northeast said:
Pretty confident I can tell the difference between lead and gold now but still don't want to walk off on a piece of yellow

Not a chance of being able to acurately tell the difference mate, dig everything.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. I have picked up small round bits of gold that sounded exactly like lead shot and visa versa - squashed lead shot that sounded like reef gold.

Well its finally here hot off the press:

I mean are the serious $1800 for a coil that is just ridiculous.

The Minelab GPZ 19 Metal Detector Coil will be released on Monday 14th November.

RRP: $1795.00

Special Price: $1295.00 for those who purchased a GPZ for the original price of $10700.00 prior to March 2016. Limited time offer.

tryhard1968 said:
Well its finally here hot off the press:

I mean are the serious $1800 for a coil that is just ridiculous.

The Minelab GPZ 19 Metal Detector Coil will be released on Monday 14th November.

RRP: $1795.00

Special Price: $1295.00 for those who purchased a GPZ for the original price of $10700.00 prior to March 2016. Limited time offer.

yea well it's not the price of the coil so much but the cost of the fricken excavator to dig the hole :lol:

Regardless of price I reckon there'll be a line up for one.
Everytime there's a new Minelab release there's a blow up about the price & everytime they still sell like hotcakes so the people speak with their wallets.
P.s I won't be getting one. Not yet anyway. Don't get out enough & they're too damn expensive :lol:

Hi Tryhard1968,
Thanks for the heads up on the 14 November release of the new 19" coil and the pricing; having said that though ML have had more false starts on this product than the Melbourne Cup, still nothing on their web site at this point in time, mid October has come and gone which was their last projection for an announcement regarding the new coil release date. Fingers crossed that you are correct, all be it a bit late for any serious detecting due to hot conditions in most of the major gold fields.
Cheers, SinHof.

ML must have put up the 19" inch info on their web site sometime this afternoon. was not there earlier today when I had a look; good news however, if you have some serious $$$$$$ sitting around; no comment on the $500 price reduction for the early adopters.
Cheers, SinHof.

Not sure why many are upset at the price ? I'd say it's pretty reasonable considering the free gym membership you also get / need to hoist the nearly 2 Kg plough disc around :D They say replacement skid plates are also available ? I haven't seen any as yet but I think the replacement ones have wheels on them ;)
New Bungy cords for the "Zee" are made from Dyneema winch rope :eek:

If you're using the right equipment correctly the weight will be a moot point ;)
In saying that the area you detect will have a bearing on it too. Can't see it being real good outside of wide open relatively flat areas?
A smaller 9" x 8" coil is probably going to be more practical & even get more use for a lot of people to be honest. Those who have an area or need for the 19" won't be complaining about the weight I reckon - maybe the weight in their pockets :D

No doub't from the blurb big spaces on the big nugs it should be a winner and on speaking with some one who has had one on the end of the stick it's pretty dynamite on the little fellas also ;) Notice already that finance is being offered to purchase :D :D :D