Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had some good news and with this will come some opportunity for travel again... to the Goldfields YAH!

I am looking at getting either an SDC or 4500 the price points at the moment are very close and they both have pros and cons. Nothing is perfect.

The situation will be used for quick day, weekenders to known gold areas. Room to carry will not be an issue as I would be driving. Though the convenience of the SDC is very appealing. The 4500 has the flexibility of coils and punching deeper. Heavier and more parts as well.

The current thought process is go the SDC being light simple to use it makes sense. Use this over the coming year and try pick up enough for a 4500/5000 or even a Z wishful but never know :)

Interested in if you feel this is the best option for me at the moment.

Here is where my problem is, I do know I will want to get a 4500 etc... at some point. So should I just get that instead?

Really struggling to make a decision Help...

Westaus,

Understand your delema decisions decisions....
Last week there was a second hand 4500 at reads in midland....
Almost bought it the only reason I didn't I was in there buying some other stuff for the 2300 I just bought for Nancye
Why not hire both for a week and see what happens you never know you may jag enough to pay for one or the other
or maybe both.....you never know your luck just a thought ....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Thanks Mike for the encouragement.

Nanjim I have hired both in the past, 2300 and a 5000 instead of 4500 but similar enough. Both found Gold.

The simplicity of the 2300 is what appeals, no straps, cords etc... the lighter weight, can be used by family really easy (not that this is a big factor atm)

However the 4500 holds the potential to find bigger nuggets? with the variation of setups and coil options. This cannot be over looked.

I like to "buy once, buy well" either machine fits this.

With knowing what I am like, the 4500 is more me!

If you talk with anyone who has a 2300 or a 4500/5000 they always seem happy with it and do not say, I wish I had the model xyz instead.

While other brands offer far better value for money, I am set on sticking with Minelab for detecting in WA.

What I need is a poll with what would you do.

$3500 budget WA goldfields what machine would you choose?

For WA I'd be leaning towards the 4500 but making sure I had at least 3-4 coils to cover most scenarios. I'd have a DD or anti interference for salt lakes, standard 11" Commander mono, & most likely a 14" x 9" evolution + either the 15" or 17" x 13" evo (or other monos to cover). Depending on area/target gold you could go with 3 coils to start out & drop one of the evo's? All depends on the area I guess.
Plenty of people do well with the SDC over there though but they do usually seem to use them either in conjunction with a GPX/GPZ or with a detecting buddy/partner that has one.
A mate of mine did a trip with only the SDC & did ok considering it rained a lot of the time they were there. I reckon you'd do ok with either but I'd hate to be in WA & wondering what might be just out of range?

I had a similar issue, 4500 or sdc, I went a 2nd hand 4500 and got an evo 14x9 to start then added a 15" open evo.
After about 6 trips, I questioned my decision, and wished I got an sdc, then I did a trip to tennant creek, found a 6gram nugg, that was pretty deep, sdc had been over it, among other detectors as well, and now after about 6 months, im really glad I got the 4500!
Only thing I would do different is I wouldnt have got the 15" open evo, dont get me wrong, its a really good coil, I should have got the 17 x 13 evo though, as it would fit into my detecting day pack, the 15" is just a tad too wide to fit into a day pack.
If I was in WA, I would deffinatly go the 4500, and maybe get the sdc later! Thats my exact plan for here in the NT as well, I will get an SDC, when I have enough gold to pay for one. Wont take much longer!

Westaus,

First things first. No matter which one you get, you will wish you had the other...............now..............

I have had an SDC for nearly two years now and as Mbasko has pointed out, I am wondering what I am missing thats just out of the SDCs reach?

I get gold most days when out and thats good for the mental health of a prospector and keeps you digging countless amounts of lead and trash in between those flashes of Yellow.

My view would be if you were thinking NSW, go the SDC until resources are available for a GPZ OR GPX.

If prospecting grounds were in VIC or WA I would start with the GPX then when able to, add the SDC.

I will be getting a GPX 4500 early next year and will have to go over all the ground I have been over the last two years to to see what lead/gold I have missed!!!

I still think the GPZ cant replace the SDC and be a one detector does it all??? I can get my coil close and flat to the ground almost everywhere, right up to rocks and trees. I dont know, but imagine that could be a challenge for the GPZs 14 inch coil?

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

RS

For the areas of WA I've detected (average nugget size over a gram) I'd always take my 4500. It's nice to be able to check over a patch with a large coil after pulling out a couple half ouncers. Can also cover a lot of ground with a large coil when patch hunting. I carry a cheap VLF (makro gold racer) for cleaning up or in small gold country. It's no SDC in hot ground but manages well enough for tiddlers. Considering the sensitivity of new EVO coils improving the small nugget sensitivity of the GPX series, perhaps the biggest advantage of the SDC is it's compact simplicity. I really don't care for the GPZ personally or atleast don't feel outgunned due to it's present coil limitations. Every time I'm detecting between tight scrub or spinifex with a small coil I know there's no GPZ's at work here :lol:

An SDC will ping gold that the GPX won't even see even with EVO coils. Can have the SDC screaming that the GPX needs to be on fine gold setting to even register a signal and then it doesn't scream just lets you know there is a signal. On settings other than fine gold doesn't even know it's there. Have had this happen on at least three occasions and until I had swapped out three coils on the GPX (all evo's) had thought the coil might be broken it was that quiet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Personally for me the biggest advantage of purchasing an SDC is that no matter what machine you may buy at a later date it's a weapon well worth having in the arsenal ............. this is evident simply by the amount of Z owners that also have an SDC :D
To the OP I'd go an SDC as it will always bring home the gold then purchase another different machine when your hooked ................ and you will be :)

mbasko said:
For WA I'd be leaning towards the 4500 but making sure I had at least 3-4 coils to cover most scenarios.
I reckon you'd do ok with either but I'd hate to be in WA & wondering what might be just out of range?
This is my concern as well, what am I missing potentially?

davent said:
I questioned my decision, and wished I got an sdc, then I did a trip to tennant creek, found a 6gram nugg, that was pretty deep, sdc had been over it, among other detectors as well, and now after about 6 months, im really glad I got the 4500!
If I was in WA, I would definitely go the 4500, and maybe get the sdc later! Thats my exact plan for here in the NT as well, I will get an SDC, when I have enough gold to pay for one. Wont take much longer!
This is re-assuring and also another for the 4500

Retirement Stone said:
Westaus,
First things first. No matter which one you get, you will wish you had the other...............now..............
I have had an SDC for nearly two years now and as Mbasko has pointed out, I am wondering what I am missing thats just out of the SDCs reach?
I will be getting a GPX 4500 early next year and will have to go over all the ground I have been over the last two years to to see what lead/gold I have missed!!!
Happy with SDC but wants to go to a 4500. The concern I have is the same as above, if I only get one chance to go over the ground I want the best chance to find something decent. If I do I can comeback, but most cases I may only get to visit once and want to leave the area happy that it is covered as well as can be.

nuggetino said:
For the areas of WA I've detected (average nugget size over a gram) I'd always take my 4500. It's nice to be able to check over a patch with a large coil after pulling out a couple half ouncers. Can also cover a lot of ground with a large coil when patch hunting.
Every time I'm detecting between tight scrub or spinifex with a small coil I know there's no GPZ's at work here :lol:
The 4500 coil options do add flexibility that the SDC doesn't but again more things to carry, more things to loose or damage in my case usually.

Bogger said:
An SDC will ping gold that the GPX won't even see even with EVO coils. Can have the SDC screaming that the GPX needs to be on fine gold setting to even register a signal and then it doesn't scream just lets you know there is a signal. On settings other than fine gold doesn't even know it's there. Have had this happen on at least three occasions and until I had swapped out three coils on the GPX (all evo's) had thought the coil might be broken it was that quiet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Personally for me the biggest advantage of purchasing an SDC is that no matter what machine you may buy at a later date it's a weapon well worth having in the arsenal ............. this is evident simply by the amount of Z owners that also have an SDC :D
To the OP I'd go an SDC as it will always bring home the gold then purchase another different machine when your hooked ................ and you will be :)
There is no doubt that the SDC will find small gold if it is there, no question at all. It is a mean machine.

As for being hooked, already am done about 14 trips away to nearly every major mining centre in WA found some ok gold but always hired machines which by now could have owned one. Pretty sure this is a long term hobby so buying quality is important to me.

From the posts so far looks like 4-1 (4500) however no negatives either about the SDC brings me back to Retirement Stone "Whichever one you get you will wish you had the other" LOL

Some really good points, appreciate the comments.

For you I'd recommend the SDC. No good running around looking for big gold if you dont know where to start, spend 12mths with the tiddler hunter and you will have patches everywhere to go back to once you found enough gold for a gpx.
Also finding deep gold consistently takes years of practice to recognize the right sounds. Even with a gpx I'd guess most of the gold you find would be at sdc depth until experienced anyway.
On the patch we did last week there were about 1000 nuggets, 2 over 1/2 ounce, about 100 between 10g - 1g the rest were all sub gramers. Most patches are like this, but the majority of 10g -1g have already been picked up so the sdc is ideal to clean them up.

My vote SDC. Here's my reasons.

1. WA is mostly hot ground, SDC handles it like a champ

2. There is much more smaller gold than larger gold, so your chances of finding something lean towards the SDC

3. 4500 has been around a long time, there's a good chance it will already have been over a lot of the places you will visit. If a 5000 and Fine-Gold has also been there it will have further depleted any potential finds. An SDC will still pick up the scraps left behind

4. There is a lot of reef gold in WA - again, SDC will smash bits that the GPX struggles on

5. Compact, switch on and go, and if there's any gold in the area you will quickly know about it.

6. You can then decide which way to go for your "deeper" machine down the track

7. If you ever decide to sell the SDC - it will get snapped up quick smart (but don't ever do it unless Minelab release another unit with MPF, or a small coil for the Zed)

Hi Davent

Do you have anymore info on this after market coil, i dont have much warranty on my unit left anyway, keen as for another coil to try

cheers Mick

I just heard the same thing davent, no details yet but I'll keep my ear to the ground. Also, I heard there will be a wireless speaker set up for the SDC coming out soon. Giggity!

Maltisau said:
I just heard the same thing davent, no details yet but I'll keep my ear to the ground. Also, I heard there will be a wireless speaker set up for the SDC coming out soon. Giggity!

Phase Technical does Deteknix cordless kits ...................... they work a treat also ;)

No, I dont have any info about the coil for the sdc, but have heard from a bloke who says he knows the maker of the coils, and apparently he has had some success (in making a bigger coil) its speculation really. I have heard that one of dely factors could be from Minelab. Again, only rumours really, from people who "say" they know.

We've just returned from an extended prospecting trip with the SDC and the 4500. The SDC will definitely find gold too small for the 4500 to see (almost too small for me to see as well) but the 4500 will cover so much more ground. We only used a single coil on the 4500, a Coiltek 14" Mono Elite over several months in WA. Some areas the 4500 struggled to find anything while the SDC pulled out dozens of nuggets. At the end of almost every day the 4500 had found fewer nuggets but a lot more weight in gold.

If you get bored easily and need to keep busy I'd say get an SDC. If you want to find gold for sale get a 4500 with a decent coil. I'm not very experienced so I never identified any scenario where I had a reason to choose a different coil apart from some very tight vegetation where a small coil would have helped. I don't have one.

We get good value from both machines and both have paid for themselves especially when you consider that they lose very little in resale value.

I'd be surprised to see Minelab fit a 12" coil to the SDC without other major modifications.

ILikeGold said:
For you I'd recommend the SDC. No good running around looking for big gold if you dont know where to start, spend 12mths with the tiddler hunter and you will have patches everywhere to go back to once you found enough gold for a gpx.
Also finding deep gold consistently takes years of practice to recognize the right sounds. Even with a gpx I'd guess most of the gold you find would be at sdc depth until experienced anyway.
On the patch we did last week there were about 1000 nuggets, 2 over 1/2 ounce, about 100 between 10g - 1g the rest were all sub gramers. Most patches are like this, but the majority of 10g -1g have already been picked up so the sdc is ideal to clean them up.

Can't argue with that logic :)

PhaseTech said:
My vote SDC. Here's my reasons.

1. WA is mostly hot ground, SDC handles it like a champ
2. There is much more smaller gold than larger gold, so your chances of finding something lean towards the SDC
3. 4500 has been around a long time, there's a good chance it will already have been over a lot of the places you will visit. If a 5000 and Fine-Gold has also been there it will have further depleted any potential finds. An SDC will still pick up the scraps left behind
4. There is a lot of reef gold in WA - again, SDC will smash bits that the GPX struggles on
5. Compact, switch on and go, and if there's any gold in the area you will quickly know about it.
6. You can then decide which way to go for your "deeper" machine down the track
7. If you ever decide to sell the SDC - it will get snapped up quick smart (but don't ever do it unless Minelab release another unit with MPF, or a small coil for the Zed)

Backs up ILG post as well. I do think time may be an issue so the idea of being able to find "something" is better than lots of finding nothing then something a bit bigger.

As I will be travelling many areas the SDC quick on and go is really appealing. If/When I can find something it is then an area I can go back to and be more thorough with having more time.

Moneybox said:
We've just returned from an extended prospecting trip with the SDC and the 4500. The SDC will definitely find gold too small for the 4500 to see (almost too small for me to see as well) but the 4500 will cover so much more ground. We only used a single coil on the 4500, a Coiltek 14" Mono Elite over several months in WA. Some areas the 4500 struggled to find anything while the SDC pulled out dozens of nuggets. At the end of almost every day the 4500 had found fewer nuggets but a lot more weight in gold.

If you get bored easily and need to keep busy I'd say get an SDC. If you want to find gold for sale get a 4500 with a decent coil. I'm not very experienced so I never identified any scenario where I had a reason to choose a different coil apart from some very tight vegetation where a small coil would have helped. I don't have one.

We get good value from both machines and both have paid for themselves especially when you consider that they lose very little in resale value.

I'd be surprised to see Minelab fit a 12" coil to the SDC without other major modifications.

Thanks MB I have followed your trips and appreciate your input. From what most have been saying the SDC will find gold if it is there!

I am leaning to the SDC now... I can see many merits and the comments from in the field actual finds it seems a great starting gold detector for the WA Goldfields.

If there does become an aftermarket coil that is just a bonus then. Thanks for comments I am sure a lot of people will use the comments for their own decision making as well.

Still a few weeks from a purchase so I will let you know the outcome.

I'm voting the 4500. I'm sorry but the SDC coil is just too small for WA. My wife found some real tiny ones with the SDC, but I was doing more "power walking" with the 4500.

If you are on a patch and going low and slow, the SDC for sure. If you are hunting for a patch, then the 4500 would kill the SDC in WA. You just could not cover the ground that the 4500 will cover.

In NSW, we are mainly going over other peoples patches so the SDC kills it. If you had access to private property the 4500 would be better.

I'm a big fan of the no cords and point and shoot with the SDC, but in WA you need to cover a lot of ground. If you were picking up crumbs for a living then yes, the SDC, but patch hunting would be easier with the 4500.

Vote 1 4500!!!! lol

Latest posts