A Mixed Bag

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals :D

I am fresh back from a much needed holiday & am keen to hit Tuena this weekend for a WalBank/swing. Thinking the Friday, but we will see what happens. If anyone is keen on any day let me know as I may go more than once ;)

I went out with Heatho the week before I left & found an interesting Rock (which my partner says I bring home too often instead of Actual Gold/Gems :eek: )

It gave a signal on my GPX4500, I tried doing a quick ground balance on it, but it still whistled. I washed it to get the dirt off & make sure it wasn't a .22 lodged into it. I used my Profind25 & still got a strong read (which i don't believe happens on hot rocks).

Took it home (the whole 3 hour drive thinking I had found something 'very nice'), gave it a hit with the hammer where the Profind hummed strongest. Simultaneously both the rock & my heart broke - this is what was inside:

1378698628_hot_rock.jpg

1378698644_hot_rock_2.jpg

I'm not sure what it is, I'm thinking Iron - if you have any suggestions feel free to jump in.

The host rock I think is Sandstone?? - Again jump on in. Laying right next to it was a Sandstone/Quartz specimen. I refuse to let this go, so I plan to make a nice Dolly Pot (Something that could fit a 20L bucket in crunch - that's about how many nice rocks I bring home each time :lol: )

Also did a little bit of research locally (asking around amongst some people much much much older than myself) & discovered there were rumors of diamonds being found in a unknown creek nearby. One of the gents said he remembered seeing men 'digging in the creek' near where he used to play as a boy. Although unable to remember the exact spot he saw the men, he was nice enough to tell me how to get to his old stomping ground to go take a look myself.

I took a topo map & gps, had a look at how the creek ran through his old area & settled on a spot:

1378699482_creek_upstream.jpg

1378699493_creek_downstream.jpg

I found zero diamonds :(

I did however classify through a 1/2 inch sieve until I'd filled a 20L bucket, ran it through a 1/4 & 1/8 inch sieve & panned the rest.

A nice Red Zircon was the 1st to be found in my 1/8 sieve & my pan held a few little surprises too:

1378699694_pan_results.jpg

I think I might go for a walk further upstream next time :cool:

Hey MTMM , Are those Pics from Tuena ?

I too found either a zircon , or sapphire or cobalt spinel , 2 of the 3 not sure yet
Went again yesterday , but havent gone through the clean up yet , & got a nice piece of red jasper , banded with black

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

The top 2 are from Wattle Flat & the bottom 3 are from a creek local to me in SW Sydney.

Are you Keen to Hit Tuena again on Friday?

Hey Matt, hope you had a good holiday. Looks like Ironstone to me, Iron Oxide..... Are they pieces of Gold in the pan with the Zircon?

If they are...... Sweeeeet!

Had a good day at Oberon last week, 16 little Sapphires, easy digging.

Matt - ironstone/oxide. Oh yes my friend - many times have I too spent time smashing 'hot rocks' in the hope they decide to be holding gold. I am about 95% sure of the 'definitely no' variety but the 5% iffy ones get taken back to meet the dolly. I run a 4500 as well - was the signal broad one way and not the other or a constant high-low? Either way Matt, you have what I would call a training rock!

Hey Matt. Welcom back ;)
I'm keen for a swing at tuena. It would just have to be a day trip on the Sunday for me though. Working 6 days a week sucks balls.
I'd also have to run it past the better half and see if she's keen. I will let you know anyway

Greglz

My 5000 was giving a signal on them also, in Sens Extra was worst. In Fine Gold there was no signal, I was pretty sure they were hot rocks. Signal was not that broad, a very quiet cuckoo, but yes broader dragging sort of tone than a metal target.

Anyway, I reckon was still worth cracking some open just to see what was in there. Good to know for next time.

Matt The Magic Man said:
Hi Paul,

The top 2 are from Wattle Flat & the bottom 3 are from a creek local to me in SW Sydney.

Are you Keen to Hit Tuena again on Friday?

Would love to Matt, but work interferes with my love of fossicking, so I only get there once every 3 weeks at the moment, usually Sunday.If you see the raised red 1989 Hilux twin cab, I'm nearby :)

Cheers Paul

Latest posts