Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have the one tree Heatho, they get male and female flowers on the one tree I think, that's why not every flower produces fruit on them, and when they are young they seem to have to learn to get their flowering in sink, and when the tree ripens the fruit it does it one or two at a time for you, so you get fruit over about a 3 month period from a tree our size (bout 3 metres high), and ours is just finishing up now, still a half a dozen fruit on it, and it is flowering again already, so it's a full twelve month fruit cycle.And, I put a shade cloth net over it as soon as the first fruit bat shows an interest in the fruit, and I've only taken that net off the other day when I spotted Its first flowers for the new season. :D

Great info, thanks mate. Definitely getting mine out of its pot and into the ground this week, it's probably already about 3 years old but still small, needs to spread its roots out. We've got really crap soil here so I'll buy some nice soil and a bag of good compost to get it growing quicker.

Dig a couple of holes out wider and put compost and food scraps (even bones from tea) in them too, that will encorage good root growth for anchorage and a growth boost as it explores the ground, don't forget to tease out your roots a bit as well so you get it off to a great start, sounds like it will be well loved.
Ours was ringbarked by a helpful with a whipper snipper when it was young and it had to reshoot, then when it was about 1&1/2 metres high the neighbour dropped a tree on it from his side of the fence an snapped it off at the ground, it put up two new trunks and never looked back (better sunlight with the neighbour's tree gone), what I'm getting at is they are pretty hardy trees, even with terrible mishaps, they just want to live and give. :D

Bit rainy here, but couldn't resist checking the tree and taking a good photo.
1477182077_20161023_101527.jpg

the fruit changes color when it's ready to be picked.
1477182147_20161023_101545.jpg

and it's reasy to eat straight away, or the next day.
1477182201_20161023_101711.jpg

but, if you arn't watching you miss them and they let go by themselves.
1477182355_20161023_102452.jpg

1477182409_20161023_102457.jpg

I have a few babies up and coming as well,some seedlings and some a few years old.
1477182736_20161023_102844.jpg

1477182820_20161023_102920.jpg

Danny13 said:
Black sapote , tastes great , costs as much as silver if you can find them . Let them ripen really well and they turn into chocolate pudding, and apparently really good for you

Dan
Yeah Dan, I recon they would be hard to find on account of them not travelling well at all, n if you pick them green they don't taste as good if they ripen properly for you at all.

Photos look alright mate . Woolworths used to sell them in the shop , haven't seen any around in a while, so I just pop down to tropical fruit world when in season to get them.

Dan

I like them for free Dan, I'm a bit scungy like that, but I happily share the fruit around the neighborhood to anyone that likes them, giving one of the bigger plants to the back neighbour, and that second one will find a home for free soon too, garden fairy stuff (share your plants for free). :D

Being a tropical plant the soil would need to be pretty good I think, and I'm pretty sure they are also the tallest fruiting plant in the world . Don't know if the neighbours would like the fruit bats giving their roofs a different colour mate :)

Interesting read , I'm trying to get a tropical garden happening up on the back of the property , some plants are doing well some are not, but I think that free black sapote would do well here mate :)

Economy maybe ?
Go on then ,....... tell me ,.... you know you want to. (ha). :lol: 8)

Latest posts