Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long trousers and boots are the ticket. Gaiters are unnecessary but if it makes you feel more secure go for it.
29816248682_a2e99c81fc.jpg

Relocated this little fella off the road the other day. Seems he wasn't happy about not being run over. I've done the same with snakes on the property. They'll bite the dogs if we don't remove them. I alway attempt to catch and relocate rather than kill. Good snake's a dead snake mentality of a few farmers round here pisses me off.

Guys, I'm not too sure about these snake gaiters?!?

Catching the snake was the easy bit. Getting the little blighter to put them on was a nightmare!

Also, they stopped the shovel blade from cutting through, but the snake was pretty angry nonetheless. At least it wasn't quite as mad as a cut snake so they do have some merit I guess...

YAY! Gaitors!

Is there such a thing as snake proof waders? I needs to get me some of that action as I am an amphibious prospecting machine!

Maltisau said:
YAY! Gaitors!

Is there such a thing as snake proof waders? I needs to get me some of that action as I am an amphibious prospecting machine!

Hmmm now that is a good question, anyone know the answer? Could even be a market for these things if no one makes them. !0/10! :)

Earlier in this thread I read someone got pvc drainage pipe, sliced it lengthways and duct taped it around the leg.
Has anyone else done this? Perhaps some contact adhesive with foam around the top could help to make it less irritable.
It certainly would ward off any fangs.

10 millimeter wet suit but don't go near a Death Adder while you are getting in. LOL
Australian snakes fangs except for an adder are under a few mm long.
Adder fangs are 10 mm long and they use them. LOL
Maltisau said:
YAY! Gaitors!

Would something durable and a little more flexible than PVC pipe be a better option? I'm thinking old tyre rubber might work. Maybe from a motorbike or something of that ilk? At a pinch football shin guards would be better than nothing I suppose.

Yes Doug, a wetsuit would probably work and you get more coverage but prospecting in a wetsuit on a forty degree day, even in water might be a tad warm.

On the plus side you could take a leak anywhere and no one would know. I'm sure BigWave could elaborate on that one for us :D

Snake proof waders would be the go for me. Maybe someone with expertise in R & D that also has a prospecting supply business in QLD could take that mantle. (surreptitious glance in G0lddigg@'s direction...)

Cheap motorbike boots at an op shop. You can cut the bottom off and keep the ankle to calf section. Most have fair decent fastening system all the way up. Worn over comfortable walking boots and under jeans gives me some peace of mind.

Just back from a week Camping in Bright Vic, what a beautiful place with amazing gold history , unfortunately cut the trip short by a day as it was the only day of sunshine and thought to take advantage of drying everything out as we had rain all week...
Spotted a very large red belly black snake only 3 meters away on a walk , others spotted 2 tigers and a brown...Its snake valley on the Ovens River at the moment as there getting flushed from there holes so be sure to keep your kids away from high grass if you're there , the camp site owner told me they had tiger snakes swimming in there pool last year that had to be removed by rangers so just putting the warning out there to stay alert if camping at the Ovens River.
Any way off for a weekender in the gold fields again and yes i've got gold fever hopefully will find some this time.

Take care out there with this wild weather... :cheers:

Can anyone help me,i want to buy a pair of snake leggings had close encounter,local not oversea takes to long.

Latest posts