Fisrt stone on an old faceting machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Update on that old faceting machine I posted about.

This is the first stone (CZ) and it's not good. Facets don't all meet. Something went wrong with the girdle and the culet broke off when taking it from the dop. I left the girdle thick on purpose to give me a bit of play room.

But hey, I'm a beginner and I learnt a lot. A couple more stones and I should be able to sort out if it's the machine or me.

Sorry, iPhone photos and bad light. Stone actually has plenty of light and looks better than the photo.

1476954379_img_2286.jpg

1476954381_img_2287.jpg

Looks like a pretty good first attempt there Greybeard :) My first ever stone was a piece of smoky and it was a tad more wobbly-looking that yours, which looks pretty neat.

After I had gained more experience, I ended up re-cutting it and setting in a pendent for Mrs Lefty.

Lefty said:
Looks like a pretty good first attempt there Greybeard :) My first ever stone was a piece of smoky and it was a tad more wobbly-looking that yours, which looks pretty neat.

After I had gained more experience, I ended up re-cutting it and setting in a pendent for Mrs Lefty.

Thanks Lefty. While most meetpoints worked, a few are not good. This one will sit somewhere handy and remind me of what not to do.

Latest posts