Spray bar and mat testing advice needed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just set up the pump and I'm just wondering if my setup is running ok before I head out in the field.

I took out the top riffle and mat while using a bilge pump but need to weld it back in if its the right way to go now that I'm using a petrol pump.
The pump is running at idle.

I have 2 videos of both configurations I can do with what I have, should I leave it or change it?
Cheers.

Test 1
http://youtu.be/UjiZyZDJm14

Test 2
http://youtu.be/WnIL2ruZOw8

The water looks too violent over the riffles and too much aeration, I'd reduce the slope of your hopper which will slow the water hitting the sluice, I run mine quite flat. Those rooster tails will be throwing your stratified material back up in the air all over the place and your gold will sit nicely inside those bubbles. The first video you can see that the water jumps off the first riffle which defeats the purpose of the slick plate. If you wanted a slick plate then put a block of wood in there to raise the level so the water enters the riffles at the same height allowing the material to stratify. That's why the second and third video look better as the water is dampened a bit as well. You want the water to run over the riffles in a reasonably smooth action. I'd just run the second or third configuration, lower the hopper and adjust the water and sluice to get a smoother flow. By the way a 12mm square mesh over the grizzly will give better classification and stop flat stones clogging your sluice with a trade off that it requires more clearing.

Jon

Thanks Jon, yes the expanded steel in the slick section definitely fixed the issue of violent water flow.
Can't wait to run some dirt through it.

Cheers mate.

Yeah I agree with blisters, water looks to violent over those riffles. what angle are they. Good points by Jon.

cecc said:
Yeah I agree with blisters, water looks to violent over those riffles. what angle are they. Good points by Jon.

I haven't checked the angle but at full leg height front and rear from factory I did read that it should sit at 1 in 4 on level ground.
It looks close to that anyhow.

Latest posts