Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok as a side suspicion I had, there was a thought that it could be a calcite or carbonate and a geologist agrees that it could be as well. If the area is known to have limestone, marl or mable its quite possible. I won't name an area but its similar to what he's seen before from one location in vic

Looks different cleaned up. The bottom photo looks like quartz or a feldspar, but in the second and third photos there seems to be a more platy cleavage or crystal growth.
Along the broken edge in the last photo, are there many straight edges or pieces that flash in the light, or does it seem more like broken glass (sharp, jagged, uneven edges).

If it is a calcite, marble or limestone it should be relatively soft, give it a soft scratch with a nail or knife and see if a mark is left.

G'day All, I'm in Biloela for a few weeks and was wondering if there was any gem stones in this area that any one knows about I'll be out the back of the dam having a look for their fine gold any way by all accounts it's very sparse but it has to be better than being at work

shivan said:
Looks different cleaned up. The bottom photo looks like quartz or a feldspar, but in the second and third photos there seems to be a more platy cleavage or crystal growth.
Along the broken edge in the last photo, are there many straight edges or pieces that flash in the light, or does it seem more like broken glass (sharp, jagged, uneven edges).

If it is a calcite, marble or limestone it should be relatively soft, give it a soft scratch with a nail or knife and see if a mark is left.
When turned in the light it gives off flashed of light from some of the reflective shapes. I gave it a scratch and it leaves a white mark.
Yesterday I went back to the spot I found it and couldn't see anything remotely similar however the area is littered with big stones and other types of rock. So I was kind of stumped why and how I find it there.

Despite it leaving a white mark after a scratch would it still polish to be smooth ?
Atom I haven't got any vinegar on hand but I'll buy some during the week and see what happens .
The spot I found it is very unique.
Yesterday came across a massive red belly black, unbelievably thick . And massive . Pitch black and bright apple red on the bottom. Also the ants there are massive, and unfortunately was bitten several times on the feet and much worse than a bee sting, that place is protected by spiky plants, huge ants that bite, and deadly snakes.

It sounds like there is cleavage present and if it was easily scratched then calcite would be a good candidate.
I believe calcite should still polish, though i have not polished any myself. I would guess, you just would not get as aggressive with the grit as you would with quartz.

I havnt polisged it and I don't think it would be easy but you have lots of rock there, some may be lost. I think its hardness is down at 3 on mohs scale, rather than abrasives you'd want some sort of buff instead with paste mabey but it would specifically need to be for minerals under 6 mohs scale.
When you do the vinegar test, have some water on standby to flush it away because it will froth if it is calcite. You may be abke to use it to clean some areas but at the same time it will be eating it and causing pitting. Mabey try neautralising some vinegar in a seperate test with a little bit of bicarb soda in it too, which will greatly reduce its eating power but may still pit. Do tests in areas that seem crappy. If polishing won't work, mabey clean cleavage will. No..not that sort of clea... gee whiz

Latest posts