Setting a Tourmaline Crystal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After a reasonably successful trip to beechworth, I'm keen to set one of the black tourmaline crystals I found into either a ring, or maybe a charm. Are there any rings or premade charm clasps that would be good? The piece is the one on the far right of the picture below. its roughly 5-8mm long and abour 3-4mm wide(triangular)

Thanks

James
1475624375_1475131320_imag1460.jpg

James, here's a couple of places you might try, I have bought stuff from both....

A&E Metals

Australian Jewellers Supplies

As already mentioned, the pre-made settings are called "findings". There are also "settings", check both out.

A mate brought round a big black tourmaline schorl crystal a while back. We were going to facet it with a checkerboard crown, crown only and leave a flat bottom for setting in a bezel cup. Unfortunately, it was full of fractures and broke apart while pre-forming. Post a piccie when you're finished, I'd like to see it :)

Thanks for the links guys.

Was actually hoping to set it length ways and put two triangular caps on each end. The crystal is quite crisp. But that might be too difficult to do.

A couple of the other pieces are a bit bigger, though more worn, but might be ok to cut. hmm

I think its too small for a pendant, and it doesn't have a termination.

Latest posts