✅ Metal detector insurance

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all, just having a chinwag with her indoors and we realised our detectors are not covered if they leave the house.
I would like to hear how others have gone about insurance in the field, who with and how much.
We are in Victoria.

Redfin

I rolled mine into the house and contents. Covered at home, in car and at cabin at caravan-park. Please note, my insurance covers my home and cabin as principal and secondary place of residence and contents for both so the deal is OK. (The cabin is a basic fire, theft and liability on a $15,000 cabin so its cheap anyway. If it floods we are all stuffed - well above any recorded flood level). Rang the 'over 50s' group for a quote and then haggled with my current insurer C'wealth. My point is that I simply shopped around and ended up with the current bank insurer.

Couple of provisos - main home monitored alarm, security shutters, postcode below Melb average for break-ins and detectors are stored in a fixed locked steal cabinet.
At cabin, stored in a fixed locked steal trunk. The cabin post-code is actually worse than my Melb one for % break-ins in the closest town - go figure.

Sorry i can't be more specific but the detectors can be insured at the three points - home, car and second residence even if its a rental or motel etc. Cameras and laptop were the same deal.

Insurance is a good idea. I wonder if it would have covered me running over this 5k with the prado lol.

6e4f909e96c3c4072a7876617a67fe67.jpg

DD

Ps. It still works fine, just cosmetic damage :)

CRIKEY!! I have never seen that. Did you tell Minelab - they would probably use it in their advertising. This story you have to share with us DD.

Had a talk to RACV [ gold 30 yr members]
$23 per month total cover [theft etc] for the 5K and the 2200.
But they will not touch water damage.

loamer said:
CRIKEY!! I have never seen that. Did you tell Minelab - they would probably use it in their advertising. This story you have to share with us DD.

Not really much of a story mate. I took both 5000s out of the wagon when unloading my highbanker at Tuena. Then went up to the rain water tank to fill up our drinking water forgetting about the detectors sitting next to the car. When I turned the wheel I ran over this one. Luckily it was mine and not Dudettes :) . That was almost twelve months ago and I am still using it now with no problems.
It snapped the plastic bolts that hold it to the shaft and mangled the case a bit, other than that all good :).

DD

Gedday there DD .. Mate that pic almost made me cry! .. But, goes to show just how robust Minelab gear is ay. .. A perfect example of the old axiom ' You get what you pay for '.

A little less pretty than when she came out of the box, but still working .. Hopefully some of our fellow forum members will clue up a bit and rethink the whinge and whine over why these machines and their predecessors hold their value so well.

Good luck from one Digger to another.

We just rent where we live but allways have contents insurance & pay a couple of dollars more each month & have $1000 cover for unspecified items away from home. Up to 3 items($1000 each) per claim made. Only a $50 excess if I recall.

$1000 is enough to cover any item away from home but I guess you could up that figure if needed.

I've claimed mobile phone damage a few years ago :rolleyes: - no issues.

Sister inlaw has same insurance & went fishing with her kids at the local beach. Plonked bags on the sand(video camera, phone & still camera). Started fishing & walked up & down the beach. Upon returning to their spot they realised the tide had risen & bag was well in the water.
All items of value covered & quick pay out.

I was reading a post by Moneybox in the meetups section where he mentioned inadvertently driving over an sdc with his truck. Thankfully it wasn't damaged, but it go me thinking would our detectors be covered by our contents insurance or would they be better off being insured separately if you can?
I know i've drowned and claimed a number of highish end digital cameras over the years on my contents insurance, so i wonder if detectors would be the same?

You can get specific insurance for some items, like with photography gear, so detectors etc would most likely be the same.
Not sure if house content insurance would cover gear if stolen out of your car or somewhere other than at home but having specific insurance for just the detecting gear should. I looked into it with my photography gear years ago, had to be on house content insurance to be covered but that didn't cover it if it wasn't in the house when stolen or damaged.

Other than having it stolen from the house or driving a truck over it (sorry Moneybox) there's not much that can destroy them i suppose. think i'll look into separate cover and see how much they charge.

SCROUNGER said:
Other than having it stolen from the house or driving a truck over it (sorry Moneybox) there's not much that can destroy them i suppose. think i'll look into separate cover and see how much they charge.
Wrong Scrounger ... grandkids can destroy anything.

Dreamwalking said:
SCROUNGER said:
Wrong Scrounger ... grandkids can destroy anything.
Good point :lol:

Hey guy's , don't know if this has been covered before but my question is how or do you insure your equipment, just thinking of taking out some kind of insurance for when my gear is in the car or caravan and gets nicked...Would take me years to recover as my financial controller (wife) wouldn't let me take out a loan to recover my lost investment. Any thoughts here ?

Talk it through with some insurance brokers, make and model of your gear and let them find the best deals, better to talk with more than 1 broker. See what they come back with and then make your call. With the price of gear these days it's worth looking at.

Good topic, I need to ring my broker tomorrow so I'll make some enquiries. Got to admit though I'm sick and tired of insurance companies and the little value I get in return for money paid.

Latest posts