Easing EMI problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chasing goldies in downtown parks with Deus, have experienced some trouble with EMI from above and underground power lines plus other sources. Have to a certain extent solved this problem by cranking up the silencer whilst running at 8kHz. As the goldies are shallow and good solid tones have not found a disadvantage to having the silencer set even as high as 4. Just wondering how other users tackle this

17khz seems to handle powerline EMI, its tolerable beneath them. I didnt think of using the silencer though, ta ;)

Just seems to allow using a lower frequency thus getting away from the sensitivity to cut up aluminium at the higher frequency. I`d run in 4kHz but the silencer cannot be adjusted there. Imagine using high silencer settings when chasing deeper coins would cause one to miss a lot of small coins. Something I`ve only just started to investigate, the Deus has a lot of features and power allowing one to customise for different search conditions. But if adjusting the silencer do it after adjusting reactivity, otherwise it reverts to default silencer setting for that reactivity.

Same as Rocket, I just stick to 17kHz with sensitivity lowered a bit, I can't really afford to wack up the silencer as many of my older coin targets can be reasonably deep or faint to hear. EMI would probably be best handled using the 9" coil vs the 11" or 13x11" if you have that option available. Out of all the areas I detect, there are only two that offer reasonably bad emi, so not really an issue for me. :)

Latest posts