Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, PI detectors on the beach will have you digging lots of junk but you just never know what you will find. You'll certainly be happier with a dedicated treasure detector for beach hunting.

I was using salt 1 and salt 2 near and in the water, the normal setting and the other way seemed to get a bit noisy, figured I should've mentioned that earlier.

I found beach detecting fun, not sure if I'll get into it but I'll definitely do more research when I get home. The only thing I didn't like though is that it isn't as solitary as going bush to detect for gold is. Half the reason I enjoy the hobby is so I can be on my own and I didn't like the attention I was attracting from people having a look at what I was doing. I get why, but as I've read elsewhere here, apparently sometimes you even get people coming up to you asking questions or even harassing you.. I understand why, I just like to be left alone while detecting :)

I have created my own adaption of a cordless headset based on what I have seen here.

I have also started out with the cheap headphones - proof of opertaional concept for how it works for me I guess, then I will ramp up the headphones

Hi All,

Just sharing something I learned this weekend. My SDC was falsing whenever it bumped against my leg. It's never done it before. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, and couldn't work it out initially until the penny dropped. The new jeans my wife bought me have metal press studs (not visible as they were hidden under the pocket flap) that the SDC was picking up when the control box came into contract with mt leg, even with the DD cover on it.

I guess it's a good idea when using the SDC to keep *all* metal objects away from the control box. Just my learning from the weekend.

Interesting... my SDC doesnt do that...when I have it running and place a metal object near the control box end, there is no change in signal noise. I have a Minelab pinpointer in a holder on my right hip ...no interference. MY DD Leather cover has a ((i think )metal (fabric sewn cover) leg thing on it and it sits right under the control boxand I swing it RH side...no interference from these objects. Must admit the curved feet for the DD cover could be plastic. Anyways...no issue for me...it's only when I get anything metal near the coil that it goes off. I had to take off my wrist watch and leave in the car because holding target dirt over the coil and my watch would create a signal.

Thanks Orgone500 , I will test again tonight... :)

Same deal here, I put metal near the control box and it made no difference to the sound. Maybe it was something else closer to the coil that was setting it off?

try the pick magnet near the control box and it will scream like a banshee.

Discovered this one day when I was getting tired and things got a tad tangled up.

I think I'll pass. Putting magnets near electronics is usually a bad idea (did that to the TV when I was younger, parents were not impressed).

Hi all
I just got my Sdc and im thinkn of getting some lipo c cells for it so it last longer has anyone tried these
1475709486_screenshot_2016-10-06-09-57-13.jpg
sort of batterys

Which ever ones you go for make sure they have the large or " wider " positive terminal to avoid the funky shutdown which has been a bit of an issue for some. My second set are " power tech " which have been good sourced from eBay. The red ones in your post I purchased in a d cell for a torch an can be ok but do not hold charge aw well as others.

Cheers and good luck with your SDC

Forgot to add I religiously charge back to full capacity after every session and swap over battery sets , I don't know if it helps but both my battery sets are still A1 for charge. A wrap of electrical tape around each battery may help if they are a tad small and rattle around a bit.

Those LiPo ?C? cells are wee large at 32.5mm x 60mm, that is if the specs are correct in Ebay, otherwise they sound good.

I remember seeing those 10,000 mAh ones on ebay when I first bought my 2300 but I read they're not truely 10,000 so I opted for something else as I didn't want to put cheap chinese batteries into a machine worth a few grand.

I use the original ones and I also use the Dick Smith 1.2V 4500mAh NiMH rechargables.. a pack of 4 was like $7 from memory during their closing down sale, I bought something like 10 packs because the price was that good, have enough C batteries to last maybe a fortnight if I want to go out detecting that long. Not sure you can find the same batteries at the same price nowadays though so doesn't really help you much. If you search the forum, this topic has come up before so you might find some good info buried deeper in the forum.

Roverrock said:
Or do i get these as the amphour is betterhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5803/1475709776_screenshot_2016-10-06-10-01-32.jpg
Don't buy them they are useless only lasts for a hour try to get a brand that's called trenergy or something like that with 5000mah capacity

Bacchus said:
Forgot to add I religiously charge back to full capacity after every session and swap over battery sets , I don't know if it helps but both my battery sets are still A1 for charge. A wrap of electrical tape around each battery may help if they are a tad small and rattle around a bit.
Or dunny rolls cardboard dose the job good and it's easier to remove and cheaper to buy cut them to size and throw away when you change the batteries

Latest posts