Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's happened to quite a few people. A common theme seems to be that the roots that give off a signal seemed to be very moist.
Wet ground (saturated) also seems to give the GPZ's some trouble. You can work around it but lets just say I'd much prefer a dry track :D

Evening Cairnspom,
The situation you describe with the 7000 and tree roots giving a good signal is fairly well documented, It's occured to me twice and two of my prospecting friends have struck the same problem.
The most likely answer is that somehow there might be a concentration of mineral salts/fluids in the tree roots, can't say for sure though, others here may be able to shed some light on this puzzling issue.
Cheers, SinHof.

I had the same thing happen with the 2300 at the Palmer River. I agree that the tree root was very moist and can only put the signal to that. Glad you got yourself a Z cairnspom, you'll get into some gold before too long. Cheers Rick

This same thing happened to me the first time out with the zed, at Western Creek, after finding a couple of small bits a few meters from a large tree. Dug all around the root gave up in the finish, and thought it has to be the root. Has never happened again.

mbasko said:
It's happened to quite a few people. A common theme seems to be that the roots that give off a signal seemed to be very moist.
Wet ground (saturated) also seems to give the GPZ's some trouble. You can work around it but lets just say I'd much prefer a dry track :D
1474372695_img_20160831_181256.jpg

One of three roots f or the Z, in ground that has a history of big nuggets.

Is it possible that a small piece of gold could find it's way into a tree root? I would be keeping the bit with the signal in it, drying it out, and testing it again. Does a pinpointer give the same signal on the 'offending' tree root as the detector ?

Mike.

I found a tree root myself @ Long Gully ....................... with GPX with an Evo coil :eek: I pulled nothing whilst there with the GPX but when I put it down and worked the SDC the smile broadened considerably ;) They may have been small hits but hey I'll take home 3.5 to 5 grammers all day no problem. Wish I was back there right now doing so actually :(

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I haven't been back earlier but I've been having internet issues...its been worse than dial up!
Sounds like the tree root thing is quite common, but I'm intrigued you got it with the 2300 Kemjack, mine didn't re-act to it, only the Z

I'm planning on trying Western Creek next time, and slowly working my way through all of them out that way!

cairnspom said:
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I haven't been back earlier but I've been having internet issues...its been worse than dial up!
Sounds like the tree root thing is quite common, but I'm intrigued you got it with the 2300 Kemjack, mine didn't re-act to it, only the Z

I'm planning on trying Western Creek next time, and slowly working my way through all of them out that way!

Same result here the SDC didn't react to the root that the GPX gave signal on.

I actually cut a swathe out of the root thinking there may be a piece in the root but it sounded off on both pieces. I then ran the detector up the trunk and it went off all the way up. Bugger :)

Mike70 said:
Is it possible that a small piece of gold could find it's way into a tree root? I would be keeping the bit with the signal in it, drying it out, and testing it again. Does a pinpointer give the same signal on the 'offending' tree root as the detector ?

Mike.
I don't know about gold finding its way in a tree root but i have found a tree root wrapped around a nugget.
When i first started out with the Z i was digging up tree roots to find nothing but after a while you will know the difference between a tree root and a good target.
A root will usually give you the one flat tone in the threshold but i have found a tree root wrapped around 13 oz nugget about 24 inches deep, though the sound in the threshold was completely different.
1474622583_img_1479.jpg

The root had grown around the middle of the nugget, had a bit of a tug of war just to get the nugget out.

SC75 said:
Lol John...That' was my very 1st nugget believe it or not it was over a year ago.I'm still searching for my next tree root haha

That's a Great looking Nugget, it just goes to show that you should never ignore such signals even if the machine does false on tree roots, If you had done that then you would never of found it, Seems like the more we learn the less we know,

thanks for posting it.

John.

PS, Is the Willing Sheila Mode part of the Sensitive Extra or High Yield ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

mbasko said:
Thanks for the feedback Marty.
Sounds like a good idea if I'm reading it right - leave in auto tracking when searching then hit the user button changing back to manual/fixed when you get a target? Quick easy solution.

Just wondering if you have had a chance to use this option yet , following with great interest as it also happened to me see my post... lost signal 2 foot down Z screaming then nothing.

Anyway I'm going back out there and will bring my pinpointer along...It's a bit like fishing if it gets away just use a bigger hook !

I've got it set up to do it but don't use it. Haven't tracked out a signal yet so I never think to change into manual.
Always been something (junk) in the bottom of those deep holes :D

One of things I did wrong when first detecting with the Z, was digging too furiously to recover a signal, it then dropped down the hole, thus out of detection depth for the flat of the coil, then further compounded this fault by using the front of the coil down the hole. One soon learns the side of the coil is the go for such. Recently to further teach me of this fault I dug a solid 1grammer out at about 9", rescanned the hole with the flat, no signal, but on getting the side of the coil down the hole I recovered a couple of sub grammers. The Zs coil is a different beast to the Monos and even the DDs of the PIs.
Tis a good idea to have the user button set to manual DB at these times. If it is a repeatable signal at first and the auto GB doesn`t take it out with side to side swinging, not pumping, odds are it is a metal target. Saying that I do believe the auto GB will take out positive signals but it is rare in the ground I detect, and of course there are clay domes, tree roots etc. But you can nearly, well almost bet a repeatable signal is a good un. Have learnt to switch to manual GB after a few slow swings to outsides of the hole to ensure the auto has it right.

I played with the gpz19 coil yesterday at the Perth 4WD show. bit heavier than the gpz13. guy at the stand was concerned with the gpz19's ability to detect the smaller nuggets. time will tell. not long to go now. :lol:

Latest posts