NSW state conservation areas.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySilver

jacob
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I am used to metal detecting in parks and beaches and I was just wondering if it is legal to metal detect in a state conservation area in NSW? (I know National Parks are completely off limits).
Thanks.

State Conservation Areas are under the control of the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service & as such detecting is not allowed in them.
Anything under NPWS control is the same i.e. National Parks (obviously), Karst Conservation Reserves, Wildlife/Nature Reserves, NPWS Heritage Sites/Areas, Aboriginal Areas etc.
There are a few (or areas within a few) that allow various types of fossicking like panning only (Abercrombie Karst Conservation Reserve). You would need to enquire about allowed activities for the one/s you want to visit with NPWS. As a general rule though detecting won't be allowed.
NAPFA & others are currently trying to get some access but it will be a long process. If it does happen it will be heavily restricted & there will be some hoops to jump through to gain permission (going off their draft management plan).

Latest posts