Noodling for opal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone who could advise on where best to find a bit of colour around Lightning Ridge? I am heading there nest week with my 9 year old son. We have had luck with sapphires in Glen Innes and so we thought to try our luck! I used to gig at the Bowlo when a young fella and used to noodle around the dumps, but heard its all changed now with rules and regulations...
Just out for three days, so if there is a kind soul who could point us to some tailings or a dump etc we would be very grateful!
Cheers :)

I think there is still one area that you can noodle out there, we have a couple of members on the forum who live there and others that visit. Hopefully they'll add some comments for you.

Gday Mate come out to Grawin head towards the Sheepyards on the left hand side of the road you will see a big dump you can noodle there a lot of good colour is found here

Hello mate,

I am a amateur opal fiend and the below advice is from my own personal experiance. I do not proclaim to be a opal god or claim to be the keeper of all knowledge.

I rocked up to the fields after a sapphire trip got rained out and have been on it since then.

I have written this for people who may also be interested. Sorry if you already know.

Noodling tips building on the above.

1. Look for potch on the pile. Potch is the prime indicator if you are on the right trail to the colour.

2. Bring a water squirt bottle. Opal in its raw stare will show up much better wet. When you are sorting through the pile squirt every piece of potch you find. I found my first stone with this method.

3. Just remember the pile is a mullock dump. Its miners run out that they have already sifted and sorted through. This means as opposed to real fossicking you are not looking for pockets or seams.

4. Noodling is about persistence and luck, there is a very high chance you will find nothing and there is a equally high chance you might find something. Even miners have the same odds. Black opal is very very very rare.

5. Some places in town offer noodling on their tours, some are better than others. I suggest if you are 100% new to the opal game. Go on a undeground mine tour and ask the mine owner questions. How its found where its formed etc get your head around it then go out. Its what i did!

6. Black opal is one of the most expensive rarest gems on earth. You are essenaitally looking for something that can be more expensive than diamonds. Really appreciate that fact and know that any find no matter the size is something no where else in the world has naturally.

Just a couple of pointers about the fields in general.

1. The Grawin, Sheepyard etc fields are an active mine fields. Shafts, trucks and scrap metal are all over the place. Be careful.

2. The fields work on a claim basis 50x50 from memory. These areas are marked by posts on the edge of the claims are and easy to miss. Do not wander or "explore" anywhere other than the dumps advised. These are recognised by law as rights to land and minerals below.

3. The dumps are not endorsed fossicking areas due to legal reasons of liability. However, from my experience it is accepted. Just if a truck does go to dump stay far clear until the truck has done its job and dont disshevle the pile so much it blocks the access route.

4. Some people use the opal fields as there main source of income. As such they take it very seriously. Unfortunately people in the past have done the wrong thing. Show respect.

5. Be totaly aware that this, in my opinion is the hardest form of fossicking. But totally totally worth it 100%.

Message me direct for more info. (And anyone else who is interested) I love the stuff.

I will be drive though the ridge mid july 2016 happy to help.

Jukey.

To a lesser extent i hit the dumps is sheepyards the most. Closer to the pub etc.

The ridge itselfs from my trips doesn't allow fossicking except for the tourist centre.

Thank you so much guys! Much appreciated and welcome advice. My son will be thrilled.
BTW is there any cheap accommodation up there? Tried the Crocodile but no answer for days, might be closed?
Cheers to all for a great weekend!

Hey Rocker,

You may want to find a copy of Fire in the Stone by Colin Thiele. Give it to the young fella to read on the journey. By the time you get there he will be giving you tips on noodling :D

Good luck out there Rocker,

Not sure of where to noodle these days, but a few years ago my sister found this little beauty:

1466666529_opal_2.jpg

I can highly recommend this place as a must visit on your trip.

Amazing skill and I am looking forward to getting back out there to see what has been added.

1466666529_ridge_black_hand_3.jpg

1466666529_ridge_black_hand_4.jpg

1466666529_ridge_black_hand_5.jpg

Love the "Ridge" and hope you and your son have a great time.

Cheers,

Billy.

Looking forward to seeing the above tomorrow and if it stops raining doing the three pub trip. Rain has followed us from vic but by melbourne forcast its slightly warmer here in lightning ridge. Just have to keep heading north for some warmth. Lol

Maltisau said:
Hey Rocker,

You may want to find a copy of Fire in the Stone by Colin Thiele. Give it to the young fella to read on the journey. By the time you get there he will be giving you tips on noodling :D

I remember they made a movie of that.

Gday jukebox if u have obtained your opal prospector licence, does that allow u access to the other fields?

Latest posts