Garrett ATX 8" mono coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox

howard armitage
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Fox here from Tassie. Has anyone had any experience with the optional 8" mono coil for the ATX?
I have been reading with interest posts elsewhere on this forum comparing the ATX to the Sdc2300 and feel that for a fair comparison tone made, the ATX would need to be fitted with the 8" mono.
I have found gold down to 0.05gm with the standard 10"x12" DD coil but only when these tiny pieces have been right at the surface and feel that I could be missing a lot of subgrammers due to lack of depth with the DD on really small gold.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If comparing to running the infinium with an 8" mono coil to the larger DD and mono is anything to go by, I find it much more sensitive, whilst it still retains good depth, so I am making an educated guess that it would be likewise on the ATX.

I was actually comparing the performance of my 8" coil in relation to the infinium, considering the detector lineage. There is an 8" coil specifically available for the ATX. ;)

OOps, well there you go.

1407303699_foot-in-mouth-award.png

EDIT I just had a gander, a tad expensive is that 8" 8)

Fox said:
Hi everyone, Fox here from Tassie. Has anyone had any experience with the optional 8" mono coil for the ATX?
I have been reading with interest posts elsewhere on this forum comparing the ATX to the Sdc2300 and feel that for a fair comparison tone made, the ATX would need to be fitted with the 8" mono.
I have found gold down to 0.05gm with the standard 10"x12" DD coil but only when these tiny pieces have been right at the surface and feel that I could be missing a lot of subgrammers due to lack of depth with the DD on really small gold.

Wow, Well done Fox 0.05g is impresive to register with the DD coil. I must of done an operator error testing 0.1g - couldn't hear it.

Thanks for your input, guys. Much appreciated. I realize that the 8" coil comes with the stem assembly and is fairly expensive. Will wait to hear from someone who has actually used one with the ATX before I lash out and buy one. In theory, performance should be similar to the Infinium on small gold. In the meantime will keep plugging along with the 10"x12" DD.

$730 is a heck of a lot of money for an 8" coil, even with the stem included. I too would find it hard to justify buying one. No wonder people are adapting the Infinium DD coils to use on the ATX. :/

Garrett don't ship to Australia unfortunately, so we are forced to pay local prices. That is unless you use a mailing service. ;)

I'm waiting for official prices of ATX coils here in Poland from authorised dealer.

We have lower prices than in other parts of Europe... so maybe I can help and buy and sell cheap to Australia... I have my best friend in Perth. If you want to save money and have lower values declared in papers just send me PM.

In reply to Joe's post I have just done a bench test with my ATX using the standard DD coil on various sized bits of gold.
I generally run the following settings:
Disc = 0
Vol. = 7
Sens= 11
Thresh = 6 - 7

I find that the signal response and depth is affected by the shape and solidity of the gold particles, for instance a 0.1gm flat or chunky piece is picked up more readily than a 0.3gm wiry or porous piece.

Results are as follows:
0.05gm solid = 3cm
0.10gm flat = 5cm
0.20gm flat = 7cm
0.30gm porous = 3cm
0.50gm chunk = 8cm
1.20gm chunk = 11cm
3.10gm flat = 16cm
23.4gm speci = 22cm ( apx 50% wt Au )

Have been following posts regarding the ML Sdc2300 which seems to be kicking butt on subgram gold at impressive depths in heavily flogged areas. In theory my ATX should do the same with the 8" mono coil.

I'm not into air or bench tests as such.

I was always taught that if one wanted to test a coil without burying a target do the following,

Operate the machine on mineralised ground, then air test above the coil,

so it has to read the ground AND the target.

Goldpick said:
Garrett don't ship to Australia unfortunately, so we are forced to pay local prices. That is unless you use a mailing service. ;)

You mean by shipping to an US Address then you can ship it back here?

I have one of these accounts.

Fair comment Redfin, regarding bench tests, but unfortunately don't have any mineralized ground within cooee of where I live. The test was conducted indoors 70 cm above the concrete floor, about 10cm above the point where the ATX was going into overload from the reo in the concrete. Would that be considered a fair substitute for highly mineralized ground? There was also quite a bit of emi about. I found my test results to be not too dissimilar to target depths in the goldfield where I normally detect. :)

Fox said:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/200-nugget-hunting-with-garrett-atx-8-mono-coil/

Thanks Alex, I found that info very helpful. The price of the 8" coil/ stem assembly scares me a bit though, so I might just put up with the DD for the time being and wait to see if Garrett drop their prices some time in the future.

Hey, has anyone had any experience with the atx 8" mono?? Been on the deep seeker and the dd for a while now and starting to feel like I'm never going to find anything yellow :-(

Clutching at straws now, is it worth investing?? A big buy at nearly $1000!

Cheers gents,

Dano

Hey mate, only going on what I've read, so please consider this as only partial informed.
1st detector I bought was a VLF, whites mxt, liked it, no gold. 2nd one was a TDI pro oz, OK, but finding yellow. Researched, considered ATX deep seeker, or GPX 4500. Went the GPX and started finding immediately.
Lots of info on the ATX, and unfortunately, in Australia, it doesn't seem to perform well at all.
Rather than spend 1k on a coil that won't give much better results, put it towards a minelab IMO, sorry if its not the answer you are looking for.

Latest posts