Best Metal Detector to start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind your warranty. Buy from America, it goes back to America. Regardless of brand. A process that could drag out. Buy from Australia & know that you can contact your dealer & have any issue rectified a whole lot quicker. America may have some great deals, but if something goes wrong how long are you prepared to be without your detector?

ahoy there everybody.
Im just after some advice as to a good starting detector. I remember as a young child hanging out with my dad down at the beaches in wollongong as he swung his blue metal detector back and forth and it could possibly just be my memory playing jokes on me, but i remember him always finding alot of coins. 30 odd years later and im now again living on the coast but down in victoria in Ocean Groce which is about 20mins from both torquay and geelong and id love to scratch the nagging itch of metal detecting again.
Basically id love some help from you people in choosing a detector. Ideally i want a detector that would be used 99% of the time for beach combing looking for coins/jewellry/bonito bonito's buried treasure and my budget would be around $200-300, preferably the lowest it can be. Its quite small i know but i dont want to shell out large amounts of coin if it is just a romantic childhood memory i have. Down the track and if im really digging it (pun intended) I would use whatever possible finds ive had to put towards a better detector.
Ive been "researching" (looking on the net during my spare time at work) and ive come across the fisher f2 and the garrett ace 150 & 250. Any others out there that i should check out? I like how these models have an LCD screen which id prefer over a sweeping arm gauge cos lets face it, im a beyond 2000 child :)

thanks for your time

trent

Trent I'd lean towards the F2 or even the Teknetics alpha. Both are very easy to use detectors. However the wet beach sand may play havoc with them. Both have a 5 year warranty as well & if purchased in Australia, that warranty will be valid here.

Hi Lenton,
In addition to all the good advice above...
Remember, dig every target, if you can hear and find the bullets and the tacks, know that you will also be able to hear the gold!!! Then, one day, the next time you dig a signal it will be a piece of yellow.
Good luck

Taking into consideration that I am a total newbie with an old Garrett A2B which I haven't even used yet, I would like it if someone could give me a few suggestions of a few detectors that would be worth buying for beach detecting, capable of detecting in shallow water I am retired & don't have a lot of spare cash, so something in the sub $1000 bracket, new or used, the reason I am asking now, is so that I can keep an eye out for detectors, & if I see one that has been recommended by a member, I can have a look at it. Thanks Derek

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the forums first off. This is an extremely common question and you're definitely in good hands as far as help and advice goes with the many seasoned and highly knowledgeable members here.

Have you had a chance to browse some of the Metal Detecting topics as yet? There a few questions just like yours from other beginners in your situation that might also be pretty helpful:- https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=56

All the best and good luck! Looking forward to seeing you get the desired results and information you seek.

I'll leave you to the ones who know their stuff now :)
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Hi all I have a friend interested in buying a new detector they haven't decided on any particular model, can anyone recommend a dealer near to Newcastle ?

Thanks Tom

Have heard good things about Goanna Gold @ Greta but haven't used them personally. Have purchased a few things from Nuggets from Downunder out at Mudgee & they are good to deal with but 4hrs from Newwy. If your mates chasin gold though she could pick one up there & be on a goldfield before lunch :)

Thanks Mbasko, I didn't know there was a dealer at Greta I will check them out. I think the main use will be for gold and relics and she is prepared to pay $1000/$1100 for a start to see how it goes, she should get something for that.
Cheers mate.

Thanks Nugget, I had a look on their site, might need to spend a bit more than $1000/1100 for something decent. I notice they don't have any off those you beaut digging spades you see on the US sites are they available here in Aus?

Maybe give them a call, I know they stock a few different detectors and hire them out too I believe.

Which digging tool are you chasing?

The tool is a spade maybe called a raven, not sure. They are a small shaped spade and look like they would handle the Aussie hard packed ground well, haven't seen any advertised here. Thought maybe get one made from a photo out of stainless at work, but if one is available it would save the hassle.
Cheers

Hi Saltytom. Can thoroughly recommend Goanna Detectors at Greta. Great people and only to pleased to help in any way they can.

Hello everyone, im looking at buying my first detector, I will mostly looking for coins and probly a bit of gold around Young, my budget is around $1000 i dont mind second hand, I live a hour west of canberra and would be serching around there, the soil can be a bit gravely but also thick loam, I have no idear what im looking at so thanks for any sugestions.

Latest posts