Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The closest you'll get is a 6" Detech or NF Sadie 8" x 6" or the new type NF Evo 14" x 9" I'd reckon.
I think Nenad had some settings for the 6" Detech that was getting some pretty close results. Hopefully he will comment?

PhaseTech said:
For max sensitivity, the 6" detech. But if you want sens and better depth then the 14x9 evo.

Did a quick test in inglewood recently and the 14x9 was matching the Sadie on some very small test pieces, but this was comparing 2 x 5000s, both in Fine Gold.

Nenad, How much is the 14x9, I am loving this 14x10 Detech I bought for the MXT, I was using my pick and it was picking it up from a huge distance when I worked out what was upsetting my detector I measured it and it was going off at 5 feet away, So it has become my number one Coil.

I think the 14x9 /14x10s can handle most things from what I have seen and it is only 4.7 grams heavier than the standard 10"dd but it has better balance so it feels lighter.

John.

Try the nugget finder 12x7, I've had great success with this small coil 44 very small pieces in one day. I found it nearly as good as the 2300' you can push it anywhere and it is also good for pieces that are a little bigger.

12x7 is a good coil but the 14x9evo beats it. Shortly after the 14x9 came out, Facebook, gumtree and ebay were flooded with used 14x7s, 12x7s,14x9 goldstalkers etc.

The spiral wound coils have really killed off the old style except in very small and very large sizes.

6 and 8" rounds and the sadie still have their place (particularly on the 4500 as it doesnt have Fine Gold) but unless in extreme vegetation, I'd opt for the 14x9 evo everytime.

For general purpose use I'd take the 12. I've got a few whisper signals where I ran the 14x9 over and they were just out of range. Scrape an inch of surface material off and the 14x9 would pick them up. I've only seen this 3 times, and the target was twice over 0.7g, and the 3rd time a bigger bit of lead.

How does everyone set their threshold? Not after position I.e. 2 o,clock etc, more so, what do you listen for?
I had mine too high I think. I thought back to a trip I did a few months back. I had it ". On the edge of sound" just audible, and found .1 grams at pretty good depth. I also searched very slowly. Since then, I reckon I've bumped it. And spent too much thought on stab and gain.

If the threshold is to loud, then feight signals won't break though it, right?

( bloody predictive text, )

That's right Dave, you don't want it too loud. Just audible is good. Sometimes if you turn the gain up you may need to drop the threshold a touch too.

Hi all
Thinking of buying a gpx 4500 where the best place to buy from
Should I get new or 2nd hand
From vic

Oxygin said:
Hi all
From vic

With new, you have a 3 year warranty and will know that no-one has mistreated the machine.

With used, it MAY have factory Minelab warranty remaining, depending on when it was first purchased from the original dealer. If you buy used from a dealer, even if it's out of original factory warranty, they should still give you a 3-month used goods warranty.

If buying privately (or from any seller who isn't a reistered Minelab dealer), confirm with Minelab in South Australia that it's genuine, REGARDLESS of whether it's new or used.

A Minelab dealer is the safest bet for either new OR used, but private is safe enough as long as you refer to the above.

Hi Dave,
How I set mine. :)
Go to deep custom,
Tune it,
Hit Factory preset,
Ground Balance with tracking on,
Advance gain until it just starts to warble on the ground you are working,
Adjust your threshold until you can just hear it,
You may have to play with stabilizer a little bit,
Flick to fixed tracking.

davent said:
How does everyone set their threshold? Not after position I.e. 2 o,clock etc, more so, what do you listen for?
I had mine too high I think. I thought back to a trip I did a few months back. I had it ". On the edge of sound" just audible, and found .1 grams at pretty good depth. I also searched very slowly. Since then, I reckon I've bumped it. And spent too much thought on stab and gain.

If the threshold is to loud, then feight signals won't break though it, right?

( bloody predictive text, )

Oxygin said:
Hi all
From vic
Coiltek Maryborough I got mine there last year and they where really good and through in a few things as well ..

Oxygin at the moment is a good time to buy a new 4500 full warranty ,just check all dealers for the best deal ,when you think how long the 45s have been produced a second hand one it may be 8 to 10 years old .I have had a few 45s I brought a new one last year from Maryborough great detector regards john :)

Latest posts