Information for X-Terra owners (305 505 705)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quartzman said:
White and mineralization some also down the back has red staining
I think it might be worth doing a little more research on your property, is their any old gold diggings? Get a good geo map and find where your property is on the map and look for faults close by, the geo map will also show you old gold mines/diggings.
Gladstone is a gold bearing area.

Gerry detectors on you tube has a good video on just finding rings and cancelling out pull tabs on the id scale

Lol well that's what i reckon two but haven't found any gold with the 705 yet me dad reckons the Chinese hit the place pretty hard starting to think that this old well used to be a shaft as its on the inside of a corner of a creek running north to south

Any way thank you for all the help and suggestions ill do some research. Big thank you to wookie Great forum Mate

If you have that redish quartz and your dad says that the chinese were there back in the day then there is probably a good chance that gold is still there, they didnt have the technology that we have now, if you can find some old gold diggings try swinging your 705 around the mollock heaps. I havnt done too much research in the gladstone area only around the Rockhampton area.

There are alot of people on this forum with alot more knowledge then me. Maybe take some pics and open up another topic you might get more people give there advice .

:cool:

I'm guessing you've done the dig everything option to death so I will try and help.

The table in the op to the 705 rings almost true to my id (f75) on my machine except my numbers are double the value.
Gram nuggets or bigger from here in vic come in just under the 5c and pulltabs, (modern pull tabs on the surface) but as my machine is set up internally to do coin size objects it has a little variation when you add in depth and swing orientation in relation to position and size of nugget.
So my id for 5c is 23, pulltabs at 21 and nuggets at 20-21 on the coil just above foil which runs from 17 to 19.
My guess is if your id is between foil and 5c pieces you are in the right range. How many 5c pieces or foil do you think are out there? My guess is bugger all, and in taking my thinking a step further if you notch out everything but the range you should be in the vicinity.

Maybe try a test nugget from near the area above a gram, bury it and experiment and you should be in with a chance I think that's about the only way to test just how capable and accurate it's likely to be.

Quartzman said:
Yeah them machines are pretty much the same. It would be good to get a heap of detectorist to hit my property just to see if theirs is any nuggets here. So i can see if im wasting my time or not

Quartzman, you need to do some test panning in any creeks, gullies or washouts on the property. Read up on "loaming", if you give it a go it should let you know if there is any there. If you find any pickers or nuggets then it probably is worth detecting.

Wolfy said:
Mods can this post of links be made a sticky? I keep losing it...
Wolfy, click follow topic down the bottom, and then just click on "Toplcs I'm Following" to find it again easily, you can do that with anything that sparks an interest for you ,... I do it that way all the time, every time.
Still a good idea for a sticky though. :D

Hi everyone.

I am wanting to start out on my first adventure to prospect for gold as a hobby. I have been looking at the Minelab X-terra range and need some advice on the 305, 505 and especially the 705 which I see the coils can be changed for either gold or treasure hunting.

I already have the pans, sieves and pick all I need is a detector :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Jayse

Welcome to the forum Jayse, do a search in here for those numbers ,.... will be plenty of info to read up on. :)

Welcome Jayse.
The xterra range are more suited to treasure hunting as apposed to gold detecting.
There is heaps of information in the minelab section on the xterra detectors.

I own a 705 and only have been using it on the beach at this stage.

If you are looking to do more gold detecting than treasure hunting it might be better to look for a dedicated gold machine.

Bob

Just search 705 (subje t topics only).
Plenty of threads to follow there. :D

705 with the little 6" 18.75 kHz coil will give the best chance of pinging something. Other benefit is this coil is waterproof.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Is there any other Minelab series that will be suitable to detect gold as well as treasure hunting?

Latest posts